Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

In other news... I've had two clean breakaways.. blue line to the goalie with NO pressure, one each the past two weeks. I've scored zero goals. Unhappy am I.

Also, I never drink before or during playing.. can't do it. I know guys who do... but really, no thanks.

In other news... I've had two clean breakaways.. blue line to the goalie with NO pressure, one each the past two weeks. I've scored zero goals. Unhappy am I.

Also, I never drink before or during playing.. can't do it. I know guys who do... but really, no thanks.

1 beer before the game. 0 during. Only game I didn't score this year was the 1 I didn't follow the pregame plan.

1 beer before the game. 0 during. Only game I didn't score this year was the 1 I didn't follow the pregame plan.

1 beer in the dressing room, 1 beer on the bench next to my water, 1 beer in the dressing room and 1 beer in the shower. And that's literally all the drinking I do all year. There's just something about hanging out with the team. I've got 0 goals and 6 assists in 3 games this year. I don't think I have registered a shot on goal yet. I pass a lot.

I drink after the game. Every time. No exception. :)

I think my problem is that this year I am coaching 9-10 year olds. I am shooting on a 10 year old goalie, so I can't just do what I normally do. They are bringing me down. (I'm going with that, I skated them extra hard in practice last night because I blamed them.) j/k

I complained previously about feeling like I needed wider skates. I was refitted and the result was the same — 9Ds. I think I was tying the laces way too tight. I fell into the habit last season, where if snug felt good, then clearly lacing 'em up to put your feet in a virtual straitjacket must be better. Hence, I think, the cramping (probably part of "lace bite").

So far this season I've been tying the first few laces snug, just lightly lacing the middle ones, and tying the top laces a bit more snugly than the first few, but nothing too extreme (which was d4rk's early advice that I promptly ignored). My feet feel freer. I now feel like when I really bend my knees that the ankles have somewhere to go, and side to side. I feel lot more nimble out there, instead of feeling like my feet are in concrete. It's hard to explain, but especially during my last session, I just felt like things were really coming together.

Hope this helps some other new skater. (Then again, some people do prefer a "tight boot.")

I complained previously about feeling like I needed wider skates. I was refitted and the result was the same — 9Ds. I think I was tying the laces way too tight. I fell into the habit last season, where if snug felt good, then clearly lacing 'em up to put your feet in a virtual straitjacket must be better. Hence, I think, the cramping (probably part of "lace bite").

So far this season I've been tying the first few laces snug, just lightly lacing the middle ones, and tying the top laces a bit more snugly than the first few, but nothing too extreme (which was d4rk's early advice that I promptly ignored). My feet feel freer. I now feel like when I really bend my knees that the ankles have somewhere to go, and side to side. I feel lot more nimble out there, instead of feeling like my feet are in concrete. It's hard to explain, but especially during my last session, I just felt like things were really coming together.

Hope this helps some other new skater. (Then again, some people do prefer a "tight boot.")

Tight is also definitely a relative term. There's tight and then there's masochism.

I have give you a lot of credit. My knees are bone on bone and I just wish I could be out there again. Enjoy it.

I have give you a lot of credit. My knees are bone on bone and I just wish I could be out there again. Enjoy it.

It was scary as hell at first. The coldness and the hardness of the ice still intimidate me. But I've fallen so many times and gotten up, it's no big deal. I'm sure THE BIG ONE is waiting for me someday. It's the most enjoyable exercise I've ever done. Last winter I even got to skate on a pond — but it was also terrifying in its own way. If there's such a thing as a skater's high, I think I'm starting to get it. Sorry you can't do it any more. That stinks.

Reminds me of this page I'd seen before about alternative ways to lace running shoes, depending on your foot shape:

http://katierunsthis...ing-techniques/

What you described sounds pretty similar to the "high instep" and "wide forefoot" sections. I guess these apply to more than just running shoes!

Edited by biodork

Reminds me of this page I'd seen before about alternative ways to lace running shoes, depending on your foot shape:

What you described sounds pretty similar to the "wide forefoot" section. I guess these apply to more than just running shoes!

That. Is. Awesome.

I am absolutely going to try the "High Instep".

That. Is. Awesome.

I am absolutely going to try the "High Instep".

I need to try that one or the wide forefoot as well... very few of my shoes even have laces so I always forget, but I think this would help with my snowboard boots. I always crank the laces down because my heel feels loose, but my feet are being strangled, haha.

What you described sounds pretty similar to the "high instep" and "wide forefoot" sections. I guess these apply to more than just running shoes!

Thanks.

Problem: Black Toenail lol

A few things I've done that have helped. I switched the lower boot to inside out lacing. It generally keeps from overtightening around the front of the foot which I used to do when tightened from the outside and could pull harder. About 4 eyelets from the top I switch to traditional lacing. This allowed me to pull the ankle more snug where there is far more give in the boot.

You've been leaving the top a little looser. This is a by product of your ankles getting stronger as well. Ideally you want your foot, up to the ankle, to be snug so that the boot moves in tune with your foot and you don't waste energy with your foot moving as you push. At the same time, with a slightly looser top you get increased bend in the ankles allowing you to bend your legs more effectively.

Just some fun for lacing as well as what was linked above: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Keep in mind that over tightening is both a symptom and a cause:

For experienced players, over-tightening laces is a sign that your boot is wearing and getting softer, and you might be over-tightening laces to compensate for the lack of support. Consider newer/stiffer skates.

For all players, over-tightening laces can reduce blood circulation in your foot, giving your foot a dull achy feeling. These aches tend to onset quickly- within only a few minutes of skating. Loosen them up a little, particularly at the uppermost two or three grommets. If foot aches are sharp/painful or if the dull aches don't occur until later in the game or afterwards, then consider the fit of the skate.

Had a major breakthrough with crossovers today. Yesterday, nothing. Today, I was actually doing them one after another around the faceoff circle. I think it all goes back to tying the laces a little looser; my feet are suddenly cooperating. I also got the hang of what the inside skate should do (the one being crossed over). It goes to the outside edge but also slides to the right to open things up, then a little flick of the toe. Before, that skate was too static; I had two left feet during and after the crossover.

Then I skated down the ice and with some decent speed actually did a crossover or two in transition back up ice. It was quite the revelation. I was always afraid to make that move. I'm sure on video they would look like garbage, but in my mind they were awesome.

So, you know how the sequel always sucks? I started thinking, "Wait. I only crossed over going counter clockwise around the circle. You have to go the other way, too, dummy." Going that way, I was Stephen Hawking on quaaludes. Nothing. Left skate wouldn't even budge. I was psyched out.

I took my half victory and ran.

I've said it before and I hope anyone on the fence about learning to skate will believe me. It's so much fun! I actually had d4rk's line in my head for a moment today: I'm running with knives on my feet!

Nothing more exciting then when it starts feeling right. It's normal to learn to crossover right before your learn to crossover left. I'm going to be practicing my backwards crossovers big time this winter once the ponds are frozen.

Skating in pads makes trying/learning a lot less scary. I'm definitely going to wear elbows, knees, and a helmet when I do mine.

Nothing more exciting then when it starts feeling right. It's normal to learn to crossover right before your learn to crossover left. I'm going to be practicing my backwards crossovers big time this winter once the ponds are frozen.

Skating in pads makes trying/learning a lot less scary. I'm definitely going to wear elbows, knees, and a helmet when I do mine.

Bbbbbbbackkwwwwwarddddds crossovers? Oh great.

How much adjustment is there to skating with equipment on after learning in street clothes? I can imagine the peace of mind that the equipment brings, but I also imagine there's some re-learning to do. For example, on crossovers, there'll be a lot less room between the legs.

I learned crossovers by watching speed skating at the '94 Lillehammer Olympics. You can really learn a lot about how your body should be moving by watching those guys. Quiet upper body, all legs.

Keep it up PA. Being a good skater is a lot of fun when you decide to get into a league.

My issue is stick handling. Anyone got any drills for me. Because it's been 20 years and I haven't gotten any better.

How much adjustment is there to skating with equipment on after learning in street clothes? I can imagine the peace of mind that the equipment brings, but I also imagine there's some re-learning to do. For example, on crossovers, there'll be a lot less room between the legs.

There is no relearning, just the confidence that comes with knowing you won't smash your elbow or hip or kneecap if you fall.

I'm enjoying following your progress in this thread. I could ice skate growing up, but didn't play my first game of ice hockey until my 33rd birthday. I'm now 45 and play 1 - 3 times a week, and still feel like I'm learning and getting better. It is a blast and I don't plan on quitting any time soon. Just remember that you don't always move forward in your progress. Don't let the one step backwards get you down. Just focus on the two steps forward.

The equipment might actually make you skate better because it kinda forces you to skate with the right movements.

I learned crossovers by watching speed skating at the '94 Lillehammer Olympics. You can really learn a lot about how your body should be moving by watching those guys. Quiet upper body, all legs.

Keep it up PA. Being a good skater is a lot of fun when you decide to get into a league.

My issue is stick handling. Anyone got any drills for me. Because it's been 20 years and I haven't gotten any better.

Become a goalie? :P

Get a hockey ball and practice wide back and forth across your body. Stand with you feet apart and just go from left to right and back. Extend as far as you can from side to side and go faster as you get better. Really helps you pick up lose pucks as you are on the move.

Also, get two objects and place them apart on the floor, and use hockey ball to go both ways doing eights around both objects. This really helps you learn how to place your hands and the blade for better control in all sorts of situations. Do it both with the stick on the ball all the time and then learn to do it by tapping ball in the direction you want. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: I like the hockey ball for practice, someone might pop on and say NEVER use it. Up to you, but it's worked for me.

Edited by bob_sauve28

Had a major breakthrough with crossovers today. Yesterday, nothing. Today, I was actually doing them one after another around the faceoff circle. I think it all goes back to tying the laces a little looser; my feet are suddenly cooperating. I also got the hang of what the inside skate should do (the one being crossed over). It goes to the outside edge but also slides to the right to open things up, then a little flick of the toe. Before, that skate was too static; I had two left feet during and after the crossover.

Then I skated down the ice and with some decent speed actually did a crossover or two in transition back up ice. It was quite the revelation. I was always afraid to make that move. I'm sure on video they would look like garbage, but in my mind they were awesome.

So, you know how the sequel always sucks? I started thinking, "Wait. I only crossed over going counter clockwise around the circle. You have to go the other way, too, dummy." Going that way, I was Stephen Hawking on quaaludes. Nothing. Left skate wouldn't even budge. I was psyched out.

I took my half victory and ran.

I've said it before and I hope anyone on the fence about learning to skate will believe me. It's so much fun! I actually had d4rk's line in my head for a moment today: I'm running with knives on my feet!

good to hear you had a breakthru with crossovers. I would suggest exaggerating that toe flick for a bit so you get conditioned to really put some power into it. Many hockey players only do half a cross over and if you do that you are missing out on some of the speed the crossovers are affording you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.