Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Looks familiar. I took a good one off the outside of my right ankle (on the skate) that almost kept me out of hockey camp about two years ago. I was mainlining ibuprofen (~2000mg/day, as ordered) just to keep the swelling down so I cut put my skate on without tearing up. That healed up fine. Then I took a better one off the inside of my left ankle (snuck in between my shins and skate) that sidelined me for a month. I probably should've stayed out longer and had it x-rayed because 16 months later, it still feels like there's some lumpy scar tissue under the surface there and some very subtle discoloration.

The second ankle was a pain in the dick a little bit, but still not what I considered to be my worst injury, although it may turn out to be the longest-lasting.

I've got pictures of some of those, but I don't really want to start a pissing match with gross-out injury photos.

When I went in for an xray, they told me that because of where it is on the leg, it'll probably last for a long time. Inside left ankle, like you. Not a lot of blood circulation in there, so slow to heal. I still wrap it in an ace bandage if I know I'm walking for a long time, and try to keep it elevated if I'm loafing. I played Sunday night sans wrap and didn't notice pain, but definitely weaker than I'm used to.

Interesting you still have a bump/discoloration. 3 weeks later, that's where I'm at, and I wouldn't be shocked if it stays that way. I bruise/scar super easy as it is. Sure beats the white hot pain and constant charly horse sensation I did have, though!

Are any of you peeps playing in Rochester at Bill Grays Ice Plex?

Just curious.. that's where I am.. in the suck level of play. :)

I used to drop in there for lunchtime skate and shoot but I haven't in a long time. Josie plays over at Thomas Creek so I'll drop in there on occasion. I'm still allowed to play Intramurals at RIT as an alum so that's what I do. Play with all the college kids :blush:

Not since the league I was playing in had it's season cancelled because they (ESL / TSC / whatever the heck they're calling it this week) hadn't paid their refs in close to year.

My friend was playing goal (learning how to be a goalie) in the never ever league there. Just put up pictures from it.

He also plays on my team (as a skater not goal) at Thomas Creek in beginner zamboni. You should check it out! The skill level in my class is from barely able to skate/cannot skate backwards/learning how to stop up to decent skater but no speed/figuring out the mechanics of stickhandling/positioning.

If registration is full up but you're curious, you can sometimes walk on for $15 if there's room.

Not since the league I was playing in had it's season cancelled because they (ESL / TSC / whatever the heck they're calling it this week) hadn't paid their refs in close to year.

Yea.. they owed the refs like $15k I heard. It was paid and salvaged the season I was in, thankfully. It's improved quite a bit since Bill Gray's slapped their name on it and new ownership took over. It's ALMOST respectable.

I used to drop in there for lunchtime skate and shoot but I haven't in a long time. Josie plays over at Thomas Creek so I'll drop in there on occasion. I'm still allowed to play Intramurals at RIT as an alum so that's what I do. Play with all the college kids :blush:

My friend was playing goal (learning how to be a goalie) in the never ever league there. Just put up pictures from it.

He also plays on my team (as a skater not goal) at Thomas Creek in beginner zamboni. You should check it out! The skill level in my class is from barely able to skate/cannot skate backwards/learning how to stop up to decent skater but no speed/figuring out the mechanics of stickhandling/positioning.

If registration is full up but you're curious, you can sometimes walk on for $15 if there's room.

I might be a bit better than that level. Thomas Creek is about 26 minutes from me... in fact most rinks in Rochester are except for BGRI which is about 20 minutes. My son plays in Scottsville, so I'm use to the drive. I've played with the same core group of guys since I moved to Rochester in 1996. I think that's right when BGRI opened (ESL back then). We've been there ever since. It's central for the team.

I could be convinced to venture out some night to another rink. :)

Yea.. they owed the refs like $15k I heard. It was paid and salvaged the season I was in, thankfully. It's improved quite a bit since Bill Gray's slapped their name on it and new ownership took over. It's ALMOST respectable.

I might be a bit better than that level. Thomas Creek is about 26 minutes from me... in fact most rinks in Rochester are except for BGRI which is about 20 minutes. My son plays in Scottsville, so I'm use to the drive. I've played with the same core group of guys since I moved to Rochester in 1996. I think that's right when BGRI opened (ESL back then). We've been there ever since. It's central for the team.

I could be convinced to venture out some night to another rink. :)

Just at random, but do you know Rusty Brisson?

My season starts next week!!! Holy hell im excited! Been off the ice for 2 months and i cant take it anymore. Last session i played, my team won it all. After that we got the cup engraved and we hung a banner in the arena (great use of corporate sponsors) at the banner raising ceremony we had Bobby Day, the PA announcer for the WBS Pengins read a montage and the championship roster. It was kinda epic.

My season starts next week!!! Holy hell im excited! Been off the ice for 2 months and i cant take it anymore. Last session i played, my team won it all. After that we got the cup engraved and we hung a banner in the arena (great use of corporate sponsors) at the banner raising ceremony we had Bobby Day, the PA announcer for the WBS Pengins read a montage and the championship roster. It was kinda epic.

That is awesome, congrats. We just started as well. Won the first two games. I missed the next 2 because I was on vacation and sick, but should return shortly. Good luck on this next season. Our motto is we suck...

There's nothing worse than a beer league ref who hasn't been paid. Those are the games that always deteriorate into Federal League garbage.

Thanks for pointing this place out. I've been thinking about playing hockey again, and their I-League looks like something I might try out this summer. I've been debating on Lakeshore for awhile, since I grew up playing there.

Their website looks decent, and they seem organized.

Thanks for pointing this place out. I've been thinking about playing hockey again, and their I-League looks like something I might try out this summer. I've been debating on Lakeshore for awhile, since I grew up playing there.

It's much better than it used to be. I'll give them that. I can't speak about Lakeshore leagues. I know most people I speak to don't like them, tends to be rough out there they say. I have no idea personally. I don't like the rink itself, I think it's the low ceiling.

The rinks at BGRI could stand to be improved a bit. Rink 3 has an absolute crevasse by the Zamboni door. No one dares venture near there.

Lakeshore is the wild west. It's not a bad thing unless you don't like fighting.

Lakeshore is the wild west. It's not a bad thing unless you don't like fighting.

I played at the Lakeshore leagues from '90-'93 when I lived in Rochester. I thought they were great back then. Each team was run sort-of like it's own franchise. You had your own name and designed your own jersey. You signed your own players, per approval of the Commish. (We were The Pylons. Is that team still around?) 12 teams per league with a 3 tier post season. (1-4, 5-8, 9-12) Plus I loved having a bar right in the rink.

PTR

I played at the Lakeshore leagues from '90-'93 when I lived in Rochester. I thought they were great back then. Each team was run sort-of like it's own franchise. You had your own name and designed your own jersey. You signed your own players, per approval of the Commish. (We were The Pylons. Is that team still around?) 12 teams per league with a 3 tier post season. (1-4, 5-8, 9-12) Plus I loved having a bar right in the rink.

PTR

I'm not sure how they're doing it now. I played in a lower league there back when I was starting out in 07 and all anyone ever did was get in fights. Plus their locker rooms are the worst in the area and the ice was always crap.

The way people described it reminded me of playing in mid-90's at Holiday and Leisure in buffalo.. at 1am. that was fun. Always fights.. it was awful. I have never been more injured than I was playing in those places.

The way people described it reminded me of playing in mid-90's at Holiday and Leisure in buffalo.. at 1am. that was fun. Always fights.. it was awful. I have never been more injured than I was playing in those places.

I think the fighting thing has to be damn near universal in most beer leagues. There's way too many guys out there who think they still have a shot at the NHL even though they're 50 years old and 300 lbs.

I think the fighting thing has to be damn near universal in most beer leagues. There's way too many guys out there who think they still have a shot at the NHL even though they're 50 years old and 300 lbs.

Some leagues are cleaner than others. Every level of play is a two-way street. Clean low level leagues, players don't care or don't have the over-the-top instinct. Dirty low level leagues, players don't have enough skill or good decision making to not take bad stick penalties. Clean high level leagues, players respect each other enough to use their skill and not play dirty. Dirty high level leagues, players think that extra toughness and the eye-for-an-eye attitude helps their team or their pride somehow.

I've played all of those. I much prefer the clean fast game. It's more fun to beat -and be beaten- cleanly. The clean slow game is good if I'm coaching, teaching, or working on a few things myself.

It's strange, I think I'm equally bugged by the overly polite guy you'll run into from time to time. It's that guy who apologizes if he accidentally bumps into you. Hey man, as long as you don't respond with a nasty two-hander across the back, I don't care one bit if you accidentally collide with me. That stuff is going to happen in this game.

The 10-11pm leagues at Holiday/Leisure were about the same. Jeez, I probably ran into you in the rink if that was your usual time slot.

It's pretty clean now at BGRI. A fight nets you a 3 game suspension. The second one puts you out for a season and three and you're done. There are some skirmishes but not all out fights. I've been in one fight my entire time there and I honestly wanted no part of it. Of course he dropped his gloves and did a great job of punching my cage. I left my gloves on.. because well. they are designed to block sticks and pucks on the exterior. It was short lived as I basically threw him to the ice. What a waste.. suspended because some other jerk started throwing punches at me.

The 10-11pm leagues at Holiday/Leisure were about the same. Jeez, I probably ran into you in the rink if that was your usual time slot.

Could be. I especially loved that we had varying nights and times. That made it extremely easy to plan. If I could recall much about my 2-3 seasons I played there I'd provide more detail but truthfully I was happy to leave so I didn't commit a lot to memory!

It's strange, I think I'm equally bugged by the overly polite guy you'll run into from time to time. It's that guy who apologizes if he accidentally bumps into you. Hey man, as long as you don't respond with a nasty two-hander across the back, I don't care one bit if you accidentally collide with me. That stuff is going to happen in this game.

I get apologized to constantly. For everything. Light bumps, fighting for the puck, an accidental trip, if I lose an edge near someone... I think it's because I'm a lady. No one wants to be that guy who steamrolled the girl.

Course, the one time it happened, guy just skated off and left me lying there zonked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.