Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Yep, Vapor. The very sexy X-50.

Hey you might have a future at hockey carnivals guessing people's skates.

The Vapor X50 is a nice skate. But the Vapor boot is not for everyone. If you haven't beaten it up too much you should be able to sell it on craigslist for a decent price.

The reason they probably suggested the Vapor to you is the tapered fit up though the ankle. It provides a lot of support and it's good for new skaters. But they probably should have sized you into a wide. You wouldn't have known better, but they should have. This is why the Pure Hockey store model does well. We're not just trying to get you out the door, I'd rather have you leave with nothing than get put in a skate that isn't right.

You might try going to the Pure Hockey on Sheridan and asking them to fit you. Be honest with them. Tell them you're learning to skate and think you might have been sized wrong at Great Skate. Try on as many skates as you can to see all the differences between them. There are many. The Vapor in a EE is probably what you want, but try some other models on such as the CCM RBZ and the Bauer Nexus. Both are a wider boot even in the D width. You probably wont like how loose the RBZ fits around the ankle. The Nexus you may like. I like it. Try the Tacks. Try the Supreme. Don't be intimidated by the selection. And DON'T WORRY ABOUT TAKING THE SALES REP'S TIME. If you're worried about that, go on a Sunday when they're slow. Mornings are a good time. They get paid to help you though. It's their job. Use them. And don't feel bad. There are no stupid questions.

Sometimes finding out what you don't like in a skate is more important than what you do like. Getting burned on the first pair of skates is the struggle of being an adult learner. You just don't know what you don't know. I learned the hard way after dropping over $300 on a pair of Easton's at the local store here in Rochester back in 2006 only to discover a year or two later that they were COMPLETELY wrong for me. I wish I had had a store like PH around back then, I'd probably have ended up in the right pair of skates and probably would have developed my skating quicker.

If you decide to go into Pure Hockey and come out feeling unsure, or the experience isn't as good as you'd like, please let me know.

Be warned, wide sizes aren't easy to come by. If they don't have a wide in your size, ask them to have it shipped into the store so you can try it. Don't feel pressured to buy anything. Getting the right fit is what matters.

Sorry for the long winded post. :blush:

I'll have to check on when they actually hit the stores. The current line went on sale in 2013 so I expect the new Vapor wont be on shelves until the new year.

Dark I'm on supreme one NXGs right now and thinking of bumping up to the new nexus this spring, how are people liking them? I love the Supremes,but I've had them for two years and they are pretty beat up. My other option are the new ccm tacks.

Dark I'm on supreme one NXGs right now and thinking of bumping up to the new nexus this spring, how are people liking them? I love the Supremes,but I've had them for two years and they are pretty beat up. My other option are the new ccm tacks.

I would look at the Tacks if you like the Supreme's boot fit. The Nexus is going to be wider. I really like the Nexus 7000/8000 but that's because I think my feet have gotten wider since I bought my Vapor EEs like 6 years ago. I will probably consider the Nexus for my next purchase. They've made the boot stiffer since the last iteration.

All that said, I LOVE the Tacks. I think they are tremendous skates. I don't like the fit of them as much, so I probably wouldn't buy a pair. But if you like the Supreme you'll probably really like the Tacks. Quite possibly the stiffest boot out of the box that I've ever tried to lace up. They bake in really nice though. CCM did a great job on that boot. A really great job.

I would look at the Tacks if you like the Supreme's boot fit. The Nexus is going to be wider. I really like the Nexus 7000/8000 but that's because I think my feet have gotten wider since I bought my Vapor EEs like 6 years ago. I will probably consider the Nexus for my next purchase. They've made the boot stiffer since the last iteration.

All that said, I LOVE the Tacks. I think they are tremendous skates. I don't like the fit of them as much, so I probably wouldn't buy a pair. But if you like the Supreme you'll probably really like the Tacks. Quite possibly the stiffest boot out of the box that I've ever tried to lace up. They bake in really nice though. CCM did a great job on that boot. A really great job.

Sweet. I'll get to check them both out pretty soon.

Also, how are warriors new sticks? I've been rotating widows from 2 years ago and was wondering how the new ones were. I'm due to break both my sticks on Sunday now that I've mentioned it.

Sweet. I'll get to check them both out pretty soon.

Also, how are warriors new sticks? I've been rotating widows from 2 years ago and was wondering how the new ones were. I'm due to break both my sticks on Sunday now that I've mentioned it.

The QR1 is killer. If you like Warrior sticks you'll love it.

• 4 weeks later...

This is half a complaint Thursday post. My beer league captain keeps getting more than 10 skaters because he thinks it'll make up for our lack of talent (we have a couple new hockey players and a couple learned 2 years ago players). We have 11 skaters tonight and he wants to run 3 D, 2 centers, and 6 wingers (3 winger pairs). I told him I'd much rather play D on a pairing with my brother than be on a wing pair. He told me that if I don't wanna play on a structured team, then I shouldn't come. Keep in mind that I already paid in advance for the season.

I told him that giving 3 spots on the ice to 5 guys and the other 2 spots to 6 guys is ######. And if he thinks running 4 defenseman and 5 wingers gives us less of a chance to win, then I don't know what to say.

It's really hard to take your captain seriously when he can't even receive a pass

Edited by qwksndmonster

This is half a complaint Thursday post. My beer league captain keeps getting more than 10 skaters because he thinks it'll make up for our lack of talent (we have a couple new hockey players and a couple learned 2 years ago players). We have 11 skaters tonight and he wants to run 3 D, 2 centers, and 6 wingers (3 winger pairs). I told him I'd much rather play D on a pairing with my brother than be on a wing pair. He told me that if I don't wanna play on a structured team, then I shouldn't come. Keep in mind that I already paid in advance for the season.

I told him that giving 3 spots on the ice to 5 guys and the other 2 spots to 6 guys is ######. And if he thinks running 4 defenseman and 5 wingers gives us less of a chance to win, then I don't know what to say.

It's really hard to take your captain seriously when he can't even receive a pass

Anyone who knows anything about beer league hockey knows you always have 4D and double shift wingers if you are short up front.

Anyone who knows anything about beer league hockey knows you always have 4D and double shift wingers if you are short up front.

The best is when you have 3 D and 4 forwards. That was one miserable experience for me. I'm not a defensemen but I got stuck as one of those 3 D... and I played the entire game. I just happened to be playing on two different teams at that point too and I just so happened to have another game about an hour later. I lucked my way into one hell of a second wind for that game though and felt great. The next day at work though? Yeah, not so much.

The best is when you have 3 D and 4 forwards. That was one miserable experience for me. I'm not a defensemen but I got stuck as one of those 3 D... and I played the entire game. I just happened to be playing on two different teams at that point too and I just so happened to have another game about an hour later. I lucked my way into one hell of a second wind for that game though and felt great. The next day at work though? Yeah, not so much.

I've played games like that. It's called just stand around in the neutral zone and jump into the offensive zone only if your forwards actually have the puck down low.

Problem solved, we have 13 skaters now :doh:

I've played games like that. It's called just stand around in the neutral zone and jump into the offensive zone only if your forwards actually have the puck down low.

I had a bunch of fatty ribs before a 3 D game and I was bent over next to our goalie while we had it in their zone. I never puked, though.

Your captain is a tool. I bet he doesn't even drink beer on the bench. What a douche bag.I bet he doesn't even call beer time outs so that others can drink on the bench.

I like to win more than most, but beer league is for the ###### players, not the good ones. Its about setting up the guy who hasn't scored a goal in his life. It's not about line matching. 2 D pairings and 2 forward lines. That's just basic math.

Your captain is a tool. I bet he doesn't even drink beer on the bench. What a douche bag.I bet he doesn't even call beer time outs so that others can drink on the bench.

I like to win more than most, but beer league is for the ###### players, not the good ones. Its about setting up the guy who hasn't scored a goal in his life. It's not about line matching. 2 D pairings and 2 forward lines. That's just basic math.

:lol: I'm dying :lol:

So 4 forward lines and 1 defenseman with unlimited stamina?

forward lines? gotta run 2 centers and 11 wingers. The goalie is also playing both D positions.

So you haven't figured out yet how to make the hockey version of those helmets with two beers attached to each side? You must be in some amateur beer leagues. Beer through a straw does take some getting used to, but you learn to live with it.

So you haven't figured out yet how to make the hockey version of those helmets with two beers attached to each side? You must be in some amateur beer leagues. Beer through a straw does take some getting used to, but you learn to live with it.

What about mystery vodka water bottle?

Short of not having a goalie, there is NOTHING WORSE THAN 11 FRIGGIN' SKATERS in beer league.

How that pinhead doesn't know that you go 4 & 7 and the last guy to show is the 7th forward would be amazing if he wasn't a friggin' Baah-stan fan. That explains a lot. ;)

Drink and skate? I'd die! I can barely drink and walk. Like I said, beer league is for the sh!tty players, ME!! Not guys like you who played Junior B and wear a tinted visor. I just don't have the game for it.

[insert some funny emoticons]

Drink and skate? I'd die! I can barely drink and walk. Like I said, beer league is for the sh!tty players, ME!! Not guys like you who played Junior B and wear a tinted visor. I just don't have the game for it.

I used to know a guy who played so well drunk. But there was an Achilles heel to his game. If he stopped moving he would instantly become a disaster, so he was fine until he had to come on or off the bench.

:beer: Drink and skate? I'd die! :death: I can barely drink and walk. Like I said, be :ph34r: er league is for the sh!tty players, ME!! :bag: Not guys like you who played Junior B and wear a tinted visor :yawn: . I just don't have the game for it.

Okay.

Edited by qwksndmonster

This is the first and last time I will ever be labeled as that guy. Thanks for the laugh.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.