Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

This.

The best skater in the game stay very low. Of course it's hard to do and your legs burn like H_ll

Skating involves muscles you don't even know you have, but you sure feel them burn when you are learning. Those have to be developed and you do it with more skating. Hurts like hell but you have to do it.

My ankles are so strong I have not had a twist or sprain in decades.

PTR

Skating involves muscles you don't even know you have, but you sure feel them burn when you are learning. Those have to be developed and you do it with more skating. Hurts like hell but you have to do it.

My ankles are so strong I have not had a twist or sprain in decades.

PTR

yup! playing hockey growing up and then to basketball soccer and lacosse. I have never worn cleats or basketball shoes that were over the ankle. I have also never sprained my ankle. It is pretty crazy

I re-separated a shoulder with pads on, with a misstep on a backwards crossover, just landed all funky and BAM, back in a sling.... So just be careful.

A side note, I played division 1 tennis for 3 1/2 years and I can honestly say I have no ankle ligaments left, the number of strains is unfathomable, it's to the point that my ligaments are so lax that as soon as the ankle starts to move, it's basically perpendicular. However I recover much quicker from the typical sprain.... And wearing hockey skates is so nice for my poor joints

I re-separated a shoulder with pads on

Ugh.

Not comparing: I took a puck on the inside of my thigh (you know, that spot in your breezers) in the third period last game, because some dummy thought it'd be a good idea to shoot from below the goal line along the boards (Jochen Hecht's brother?). Now I've got a 6" circular black welt mid thigh. It's not the first time, and it's not the last time. We held them off 3-2. I'll live.

• 1 month later...

I am the only person on both sides of my family to not be born/raised in western new york, and instead i was raised down south where there were no ice rinks. So football, baseball, soccer were the sports I played and never learned to ice skate (only roller skate). I'm in my early 20s and moving to Minneapolis in a few months and wanted to try to learn to play hockey and skate. Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on learning to skate. Do you recommend buying your own skates right away, or should i rent them while i learn to skate? stuff like that.

I am the only person on both sides of my family to not be born/raised in western new york, and instead i was raised down south where there were no ice rinks. So football, baseball, soccer were the sports I played and never learned to ice skate (only roller skate). I'm in my early 20s and moving to Minneapolis in a few months and wanted to try to learn to play hockey and skate. Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on learning to skate. Do you recommend buying your own skates right away, or should i rent them while i learn to skate? stuff like that.

Buy your own from and get them fitted at a rink's pro shop or a reputable equipment store. There'll be a lot to choose from in the twin cities.

Remember, the blade will be about 3 inches shorter than a rollerblade. That will be very strange at 1st even just going forward. Turning and stopping are significantly different as well. Have fun w/ it.

Rink closed here a few weeks ago and in Olean on Sunday. I'll try to skate a bit over the summer, but it's over an hour to either Jamestown or Orchard Park.

Taking a look at the big picture, my skating is far ahead of what I would have predicted after a few skates. I almost quit, honestly, I was so bad. But as I finished the season, I realized I have a ton of work to do in order to call myself a good skater and play hockey in a respectable fashion. Crossovers, skating backwards with speed, hockey stops — that's Phase 2 of Del Boca Vista.

Rink closed here a few weeks ago and in Olean on Sunday. I'll try to skate a bit over the summer, but it's over an hour to either Jamestown or Orchard Park.

Taking a look at the big picture, my skating is far ahead of what I would have predicted after a few skates. I almost quit, honestly, I was so bad. But as I finished the season, I realized I have a ton of work to do in order to call myself a good skater and play hockey in a respectable fashion. Crossovers, skating backwards with speed, hockey stops — that's Phase 2 of Del Boca Vista.

The progress is impressive given your advanced age. That walker must really interfere with your skating.

I miss the old "PA is old" jokes.

When you can skate without thinking about it you will be a man, my son.

Ugh.

Not comparing: I took a puck on the inside of my thigh (you know, that spot in your breezers) in the third period last game, because some dummy thought it'd be a good idea to shoot from below the goal line along the boards (Jochen Hecht's brother?). Now I've got a 6" circular black welt mid thigh. It's not the first time, and it's not the last time. We held them off 3-2. I'll live.

Just a word of warning to anyone taking a shot off the leg: watch for any swelling. If your leg starts getting puffy get to a doctor. It may be a blod clot.

Unfortunately it means a few weeks of self-injections, months on Warferin, and NO HOCKEY! But you have no choice. If that clot breaks off and travels to your heart or brain you won't be doing anything ever.

Thank you, Father.

I realized toward the end of the skating season that one big mistake I made was becoming very prideful about not falling. I would brag about not falling in two weeks. Well, yeah, I didn't fall, but I got nowhere with crossovers, skating backwards and such. Only when I got my nerve up again to skate pretty fast and try to stop did I start to do some good one-footed snow plow stops.

Just a word of warning to anyone taking a shot off the leg: watch for any swelling. If your leg starts getting puffy get to a doctor. It may be a blod clot.

Unfortunately it means a few weeks of self-injections, months on Warferin, and NO HOCKEY! But you have no choice. If that clot breaks off and travels to your heart or brain you won't be doing anything ever.

I should get Josie to post pictures of her ankle after the shot she wore a few weeks back. Gnarly. She finally got back on the ice this weekend.

I should get Josie to post pictures of her ankle after the shot she wore a few weeks back. Gnarly. She finally got back on the ice this weekend.

I miss my shot block bruise that covered the entire inside of my right bicep. I do still have the matching crescent moon shaped scar on my ribs though. Shot blocking is so much fun.

Had a bit of breakthrough today with one footed snow plow stops. I got off the inside edge and felt like I was more on top of the blade, and it started to click. I approached my "stop spot" with very modest speed, turned the skate and got some good feedback — felt my blade sliding on the ice, heard the ice scraping, saw a little snow fly at the end — and actually stopped pretty quickly. Modest step toward a hockey stop.

I'm also making some headway on crossovers.

In other news, my right kneecap is starting to kill me. I'm not sure I can maintain the exaggerated knee bend some of the instructional videos recommend. I know it helps a lot with stride length and the low center of gravity is great for balance. But, pain is pain.

Keep it going PA! I remember learning to stop. The first time I "learned" was in 1991 at the rink on Tacoma in North Buffalo, but I fell really hard and almost broke my arm. I didn't skate again until 2006! But I stuck with it that time and now skate great. I'm a goal scorer now!

And don't buy cheap chin pads! Mine are great and almost never feel a shot through them. Other people have bad ones and get hurt easily

Ask and thou shalt receive. I still have a bump/some soreness when I walk.

b1gf6jU.jpg

This was taken a week after the shot.

My advice? If you take a stinger, take a shift off and make sure you're ok, and don't play the rest of the night (happened at the beginning of the game) because you're afraid your teammates will think you're a pu**y. I have a chip on my shoulder being one of the few females on the team and didn't want to be the "weak little girl" so I played on it, spraying it with cold water to keep the pain down. Then drove home stickshift. Stupid stupid stupid.

Edited by Josie914

I need to get back into skating and hopefully playing... I was all "gung ho" about 5 years ago and took lessons and skated 3-4 times a week, then got discouraged because I couldn't get into any low skill leagues. I went to 'stick time' all the time and met some guys but either they were decent/good and had teams already or they didn't have an "IN" either. All the leagues near me are basically the same guys/teams every "season" and unless I know another 15 guys to start a team I'm basically out of luck. And from the games I've watched, every C level league has guys in it that really should be in A level but like to dominate for half the game so they play in C league.

Good luck PA and keep at it, when things start clicking it's an awesome feeling isn't it?

I had a lucky freakin' game last night. I just couldn't miss. I scored like 5 goals. The last one there were probably about 4 dudes between me and the goalie and the puck was bouncing and it still went in. I also got slashed hard in the ribs while scoring. Jealous ######. Our goalie completed the Ryan Miller shutout with 2 minutes left.

And youch, Josie.

Ask and thou shalt receive. I still have a bump/some soreness when I walk.

b1gf6jU.jpg

This was taken a week after the shot.

That'd make a really cool tattoo.

Also, until the Flappers in the 1920s it was rather risque to show some ankle. I like this direction SS is taking!

That'd make a really cool tattoo.

Also, until the Flappers in the 1920s it was rather risque to show some ankle. I like this direction SS is taking!

Dude, you shoulda seen my paintball bruise on my thigh I got the day before this one. It was almost genuinely beautiful. Like a little subdural hematoma galaxy. So colourful and radial. I think I've hit my quota of "disgusting pictures of my bruised irish fishbelly white skin" on this site, though.

Ankle.

Looks familiar. I took a good one off the outside of my right ankle (on the skate) that almost kept me out of hockey camp about two years ago. I was mainlining ibuprofen (~2000mg/day, as ordered) just to keep the swelling down so I cut put my skate on without tearing up. That healed up fine. Then I took a better one off the inside of my left ankle (snuck in between my shins and skate) that sidelined me for a month. I probably should've stayed out longer and had it x-rayed because 16 months later, it still feels like there's some lumpy scar tissue under the surface there and some very subtle discoloration.

The second ankle was a pain in the dick a little bit, but still not what I considered to be my worst injury, although it may turn out to be the longest-lasting.

I've got pictures of some of those, but I don't really want to start a pissing match with gross-out injury photos.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.