John Tavares

thewookie1

Well his uncle has been here forever so he could vouch for the city, as for the Sabres....... we are the opposite of the Islanders front office wise. Other than that we'd have to hope he'd like our prospect pool more than the Islanders.

Where's the proof of this? I love the people will have in place, but we don't know this in any way. It's still early for Murray.

"oh jeez just stop!"

You're right. Let's just top all of this forum stuff Hold it. Maybe, just maybe this forum stuff is about discussing interesting situations and scenarios. So in that same lame vein let me just recommend getting a hockey history book and reading it. When you get to the following trades, pull out a highlighter and note them:

A guy named Lafontaine who refused to report to the (what team’s camp, drumroll…..) New York Islanders. Another guy named Gretzky, then another trade involving another cornerstone named Messier, some guy named Lindsay and this guy named Gilmour (TWICE). So yea, let’s just stop discussing this. Cause big names never get traded. (Just to make sure it’s understood, there was a drop of sarcasm in this post.)

"oh jeez just stop!"

You're right. Let's just top all of this forum stuff Hold it. Maybe, just maybe this forum stuff is about discussing interesting situations and scenarios. So in that same lame vein let me just recommend getting a hockey history book and reading it. When you get to the following trades, pull out a highlighter and note them:

A guy named Lafontaine who refused to report to the (what team’s camp, drumroll…..) New York Islanders. Another guy named Gretzky, then another trade involving another cornerstone named Messier, some guy named Lindsay and this guy named Gilmour (TWICE). So yea, let’s just stop discussing this. Cause big names never get traded. (Just to make sure it’s understood, there was a drop of sarcasm in this post.)

Nobody said big names don't get traded. People are just listing the many reasons this particular one either won't get traded or just won't get traded to Buffalo. If he pushes his way out of NY... it won't be to Buffalo.

"oh jeez just stop!"

Tavares for Stafford & a pick (e5)

Well his uncle has been here forever so he could vouch for the city, as for the Sabres....... we are the opposite of the Islanders front office wise. Other than that we'd have to hope he'd like our prospect pool more than the Islanders.

So far, there is absolutely no evidence to support that claim - For all we know, the current front office could easily be as inept as the Isles FO.

I doubt it, but technically, they really haven't proven a thing yet.

Edited by Kristian

This is a heckuv a rumor to start and I like the idea. Not sure what Tavares would think, but there is a family connection here and he is from Mississauga, Ont, close by so that might be an attraction. But I wouldn't give up the kitchen sink for him. Stafford and a 1st for him would be fine, that being said, I am not sure Snow would go for as he has been totally bashed on the previous trade down here. He would probably want more, I suppose the Sabres could give him Stewart.

I do think this thread should keep the whole idea out there because "you never know."

This is a heckuv a rumor to start and I like the idea. Not sure what Tavares would think, but there is a family connection here and he is from Mississauga, Ont, close by so that might be an attraction. But I wouldn't give up the kitchen sink for him. Stafford and a 1st for him would be fine, that being said, I am not sure Snow would go for as he has been totally bashed on the previous trade down here. He would probably want more, I suppose the Sabres could give him Stewart.

I do think this thread should keep the whole idea out there because "you never know."

It's a completely baseless thought, not even a "rumor". Just because fanbois sit around their keyboards making stuff up does not qualify it as a rumor.

How many time has the whole, "he's from a place an hour or two away from where they play" ever mattered?

I was being completely facetious in my Stafford plus a pick trade idea. Throwing in Stewart won't cut it either. In order to get Tavares, the Sabres would have to do better than 2 expiring contracts and a 1st round pick in a mediocre draft. I'm thinking a 1st next year, Myers, Zadorov, Girgensons, Armia. Still want to do it?

It's a completely baseless thought, not even a "rumor". Just because fanbois sit around their keyboards making stuff up does not qualify it as a rumor.

How many time has the whole, "he's from a place an hour or two away from where they play" ever mattered?

I was being completely facetious in my Stafford plus a pick trade idea. Throwing in Stewart won't cut it either. In order to get Tavares, the Sabres would have to do better than 2 expiring contracts and a 1st round pick in a mediocre draft. I'm thinking a 1st next year, Myers, Zadorov, Girgensons, Armia. Still want to do it?

Understood from the get go that this was fictitious and factitious and, no, trading what it would take, the kitchen sink for him, when the Sabres likely will get the first this year and a top 5 this year or next from the Isle and possibly the first next year if Tank Nation happens, I wouldn't consider and the above is pretty close to the kitchen sink.

That being said in a year as dismally interesting as this one has been, any positive fantasy is nice to dream about, especially getting rid of Stafford. That would make my day.

So far, there is absolutely no evidence to support that claim - For all we know, the current front office could easily be as inept as the Isles FO.

I doubt it, but technically, they really haven't proven a thing yet.

Hey now! Murray may prove to be as inept as Snow, but nothing about that "accomplishment" will be easy! :P ;)

"oh jeez just stop!"

Just about everything on your list was about money. That's can't be an immediate worry for Tavares. The system has changed heavily since those days which is the other thing about your examples, they're all somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+ years ago. Outside of guys about to hit free agency, these type of players are very rarely moved anymore.

It's an interesting question, at least. Sort of in the "What would it take to abandon the Tank" thread way. If we could give back the first and maybe another to get JT, would he be worth it, missing out on a 25% chance on getting McDavid? I kinda think that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But are we even ready to start trying to win next year with the talent that we have already (including our 1st rd pick this year)?

The thought of losing for another yearn then not getting McDavid makes me cringe.

I'm pretty much with you on this one SwampD.

I'd take proven talent (elite talent, at that) over possibilities every time.

While a trade for JT is unlikely, similar trades have happened involving the Sabres before ... #10 for #6 and #77 for #16.

Right now, though, the current Sabres have nothing similar to those assets to offer the Islanders.

I'm pretty much with you on this one SwampD.

I'd take proven talent (elite talent, at that) over possibilities every time.

While a trade for JT is unlikely, similar trades have happened involving the Sabres before ... #10 for #6 and #77 for #16.

Right now, though, the current Sabres have nothing similar to those assets to offer the Islanders.

Not only do we not have the assets but also those trades were 23 and 24 years ago. The playing field is completely different now. Those trades don't happen anymore when you have to worry about balancing out money.

It's an interesting question, at least. Sort of in the "What would it take to abandon the Tank" thread way. If we could give back the first and maybe another to get JT, would he be worth it, missing out on a 25% chance on getting McDavid? I kinda think that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But are we even ready to start trying to win next year with the talent that we have already (including our 1st rd pick this year)?

The thought of losing for another yearn then not getting McDavid makes me cringe.

I'd happily trade two 1sts for Tavares as long as we got to keep ours this year. Get a proven star center, draft a likely first line player, sign some good UFAs and get the ball rolling. It was brought up before (tank thread maybe) that many of us who are pro-tank would be much more likely to want to try to get better next season if we had managed to land MacKinnon--I think that's pretty accurate, and landing Tavares would be better than MacKinnon.

To the would-be wet blankets, I know it won't happen, just having some fun with it.

This is Buffalo, if somehow we managed to land JT, he'd prolly end up with a season ending injury in game 3 at the hands of ville Leino.

We absolutely need to keep our 1st this year as we're nearly guaranteed a good pick, as mentioned before I'd trade 2 firsts, plus either a prospect or a player like staff/Ennis to get him.

2 1sts, RistolainenGrigorenko Ennis/Hodgson (if snow were a competent gm)

A "competent" GM would never take that deal. Grigorenko, Ennis & Hodgson don't have the value to be part of a trade of this magnitude. If the Islanders were to even consider trading Tavares you better be coming strong with solid NHL ready talent in your offer. The last message the Islanders need to send to their fan base is that they are starting over yet again. IMO, the Sabres don;t have enough NHL ready talent to get a trade like this done. You are probably looking at an offer including Myers and Girgensons to start. I don't see the Islanders overly interested in more picks. They need NHL ready bodies which the Sabres are extremely short of. Just look at their starting lineup from last night.

A "competent" GM would never take that deal. Grigorenko, Ennis & Hodgson don't have the value to be part of a trade of this magnitude. If the Islanders were to even consider trading Tavares you better be coming strong with solid NHL ready talent in your offer. The last message the Islanders need to send to their fan base is that they are starting over yet again. IMO, the Sabres don;t have enough NHL ready talent to get a trade like this done. You are probably looking at an offer including Myers and Girgensons to start. I don't see the Islanders overly interested in more picks. They need NHL ready bodies which the Sabres are extremely short of. Just look at their starting lineup from last night.

If their GM were anyone other than Garth Snow, I'd agree 100% with this.

If their GM were anyone other than Garth Snow, I'd agree 100% with this.

I have great sympathy for Islander fans.There must be the same frustration and feeling of helplessness we felt here when it looked as if Regier was never going to be fired.

I look at a team like the Islanders, and also the Oilers, and think that the worst thing they could do is to hold on to their 2014 1st round picks. If I were GM of the Islanders I would tell the Sabres I am keeping the 2014 1st round pick and then I would find a team that may be looking to move up in the draft and see if I can get a young 20 something that is NHL either NHL ready of playing in the NHL right now.

The two firsts are what hold value in the suggested deal. It'd be a top three pick this year, a high pick this year (albeit not as high with Tavares in the fold), an extremely capable and underrated around these parts forward in Ennis and a good young player in Hodgson or Grigorenko. Not would still take more, but the firsts would obviously be big.

If the deal were to ever be even considered then it'd probably be something like...

Two firsts, Myers, Ennis and one of Risto/Zadorov. Possibly a bit more.

Reading this and your posts in the draft thread make it clear that we value a top 2 draft pick very differently. Top picks almost never get moved by GMs because they are so valuable. A potentially elite talent under good contracts for the next 8 years or so.

You're right that Myers would likely be involved in any Tavares deal, good call. The Islanders would also want offense back from a Tavares, presumably, hence Ennis/Hodgson.

I have great sympathy for Islander fans.There must be the same frustration and feeling of helplessness we felt here when it looked as if Regier was never going to be fired.

I look at a team like the Islanders, and also the Oilers, and think that the worst thing they could do is to hold on to their 2014 1st round picks. If I were GM of the Islanders I would tell the Sabres I am keeping the 2014 1st round pick and then I would find a team that may be looking to move up in the draft and see if I can get a young 20 something that is NHL either NHL ready of playing in the NHL right now.

Oh, DeLuca.

Regier and Snow are not on the same scale.

I know, you love to hate our own, but think that through.

Reading this and your posts in the draft thread make it clear that we value a top 2 draft pick very differently. Top picks almost never get moved by GMs because they are so valuable. A potentially elite talent under good contracts for the next 8 years or so.

You're right that Myers would likely be involved in any Tavares deal, good call. The Islanders would also want offense back from a Tavares, presumably, hence Ennis/Hodgson.

You have to keep in mind the status of the franchise. The Islanders have picked top 5 four of the last five years. They need to take a different approach.

Oh, DeLuca.

Regier and Snow are not on the same scale.

I know, you love to hate our own, but think that through.

I don't "love to hate our own", I hate incompetence. I'm sure you know the difference. Regier was in over his head. History has proven that to be fact. A couple of glimpses of success surrounded by years of failures and excuses is the Regier legacy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.