John Tavares

thewookie1

I think the Bandits are looking just fine this year.

Lol good one.

He's not getting traded and this thread isn't needed. There's plenty of places to talk about the Islanders.

If he demands to leave they will.

I think the Sabres should trade for him. What do you think it will take?

My idea would be

Ennis, the 2014 1st rounder we have, we return their pick, Ruhwedal, and Armia.

I would deny them any of our big Defence prospects and Girgs. I'd offer them Grigs in place of Armia, Ennis or a 1st. Since this scenario has Tavares wanting out, this assists us by forcing the price down some. Plus with Garth Snow, if we give him shiny things he may become dazed.

If St. Louis can fetch a 1, Callahan, and a conditional 2nd I would assume Tavares would at very least require 2 high 1sts a roster player or two, and a couple prospects.

We did that in the past with Pat Lafontaine.

It is not probable of course, but when even Gretzky can get traded, everybody can

Indeed we did, because we had a player like Turgeon to give in return. Anything can happen, but the Sabres don't have the assets to even get into the conversation in the rare event that a player such as Tavares becomes available.

Tavares being a young face of franchise player, of character, by all reports, teams would need offer in return similar sort of player or shot at getting one via high draft pick. The Sabre would need offer not one first round pick but multiple ones and likely at least one good young roster player. Leafs back in the day traded with Bruins getting Kessel for drafts picks 1, 2 one year 1 the next. With Connor McDavid on the horizon think supporters would burn down Sabre offices at such a trade. (regarding Kessel trade , at first blush Boston reaped immediate gains, it appeared they had fleeced the Leafs, these days Kessel has emerged as a top player worthy of first round picks arguably. The easy argument is with Tavares you have a known player playing well projected to get better, Sabres a handful of high picks, phenom in the mix, risk and reward, risk and get kicked in the behind.

I don't post often, but read the forum alot and this needs its own thread. Because ............this is a possibility.

Tavares will NOT be in any mood to return to the Isle/Brooklyn next year. The perpetual losing, the Vanek fiasco, Garth rmeaining etc.....

The Isles will be looking for a rebuild, rather to continue rebuilding and they want their 1st Rd pick back.

Moulson supposedly liked it in Buffalo, he is not going to re-sign with the Isles. Minnny is still a question mark. But if he wants to get back together with Tavares and Tavares wants to get the %$#& out of NY, then they will be looking for a place with both cap space and the assets to move to get their hands on Johnny T. I hear there's a city in WNY with hockey team like that.

The real question isn't if Buffalo would be in running, we definitely would be, the question is what does Tavares cost.....

I don't know what his contract says about trades, but getting him would cost us at least (2) 2015 1st Rd Picks or (2) 2014 1st Rd Picks and a prospect. There's the problem...... Is a a sure bet like Tavares worth the risk of losing out on McDavid?

Remember, for us to have a real shot at Mcdavid, we need to avoid a potential expansion draft in 2015, and get the actual 1st overall pick (which we only have a 25% chance of getting if we are last NEXT year as well).

My ansmwer is that it lies in the belief that if we get Taveres, we have enough pieces right now to build that winner? If we do get Bennett or Reinhart and then get Tavares for our (2) 2015 1st Rd picks, maybe it is.

The Islanders looking to rebuild are going to trade their 23 year old cornerstone? :wallbash:

While I agree it doesn't make sense from a logical perspective, if Tavares really *is* sick - and I'm not saying he is as I haven't a clue - of life on Long Island, they might not have a choice but to trade him somewhere down the line.

I don't post often, but read the forum alot and this needs its own thread. Because ............this is a possibility.

oh jeez just stop. i don't think you guys understand what you're saying here. the kid is 23, he's half a notch below the Crosby's and Ovechkin's of the NHL. he is not going ANYWHERE.

i've considered the possibility, sure, that Tavares wants out of NYI. especially after the way they botched the Vanek situation -- who wouldn't want out? The organization is an embarrassment. Some would even say they 'owe' it to him to move him after failing to ice a competitive team around him. But they don't have to trade him, and won't trade him for anything less than a monster return.

it's hard to even put a value on a guy like Tavares, elite players just don't get traded at 23 years old.

let's revisit this discussion at the 2016-17 trade deadline or that off-season, when JT will have 1 year left on his contract and the Islanders will have a better idea if JT wants to be there / if they are a competitive team by then.

Why, oh why, if Tavares is sick of losing would he want to join the Sabres ..........

:ph34r:

Logic overload.

Well his uncle has been here forever so he could vouch for the city, as for the Sabres....... we are the opposite of the Islanders front office wise. Other than that we'd have to hope he'd like our prospect pool more than the Islanders.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.