Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

Distorts what freeman wrote. He didn't say a thing about Dareus's play.

He is great, and he's a stupid punk.

Unless I'm misremembering the conversation, the debate several pages back was about whether or not he was a great player, not great person. Hence my reply.

Well, I appreciate the assist, but I must admit that TBPhD probably called me out more or less correctly. I believe he is far from a great player, and including him in the same sentence as LT is heresy, but his punkish behavior is not an indicator, one way or the other, of the quality of his play.

I will also point out that TBPhD's victory on this is likely to be a hollow one, as I don't think the bills will get much from Darius this year, and perhaps not ever.

It doesn't count if he doesn't play! :P

Well, I appreciate the assist, but I must admit that TBPhD probably called me out more or less correctly. I believe he is far from a great player, and including him in the same sentence as LT is heresy, but his punkish behavior is not an indicator, one way or the other, of the quality of his play.

I will also point out that TBPhD's victory on this is likely to be a hollow one, as I don't think the bills will get much from Darius this year, and perhaps not ever.

Dareus was the second highest Bills player to make the Pro Football Focus top 101 players of 2013.

29. Marcell Dareus, DT, Buffalo Bills (Unranked)

Put it all together in his third year where he looked like everything and more you’d expect from a former third overall pick. Dareus started the season very slowly with three negative games out of the gate. He then set about righting some wrongs with dominant performance after dominant performance. By the end of the season he’d earned three grades over +5.0 and nine in total in the green. An every down player who does as much damage on third down as he does on first, Dareus would finish sixth overall in our defensive tackle grading in a true breakout year.

Best Performance: Week 10, BUF @ PIT, +6.3

Key Stat: His 36 defensive stops against the run were the joint most of any defensive tackle in the league.

Edited by JujuFish

Dareus is a good NFL player with the tools to be great - possibly even dominant.

But, as I'm re-learning all over again as I watch 2 of my kids play some travel sports, what often separates good from great from elite is a player's mental make-up.

In that regard, Dareus shows signs of being in the bottom 5th percentile of players in the league.

Given his upside, I remain hopeful that he can somehow straighten out. But I will not hold my breath. Third overall pick, btw -- ffffffaaaaahhhhhhhkkkk.

P.s. I also like how my phone auto corrects his name to Dare us. He's daring us all right.

Dareus is a good NFL player with the tools to be great - possibly even dominant.

But, as I'm re-learning all over again as I watch 2 of my kids play some travel sports, what often separates good from great from elite is a player's mental make-up.

In that regard, Dareus shows signs of being in the bottom 5th percentile of players in the league.

Given his upside, I remain hopeful that he can somehow straighten out. But I will not hold my breath. Third overall pick, btw -- ffffffaaaaahhhhhhhkkkk.

P.s. I also like how my phone auto corrects his name to Dare us. He's daring us all right.

I think this opinion is spot on. What a goofball tho

If the Clippers sold for 2B, what does that do the price of the Bills? If someone is insane enough to spend 2B on a sports franchise without a stadium, that has to drive the price of the Bills to .... what?

If the Clippers sold for 2B, what does that do the price of the Bills? If someone is insane enough to spend 2B on a sports franchise without a stadium, that has to drive the price of the Bills to .... what?

Somehow I think the NBA in SoCal is worth a bit more than the NFL in Buffalo. To paraphrase something in the ratings thread, there are probably more TVs watching a regular season Clippers game than there are TVs in Buffalo total.

Somehow I think the NBA in SoCal is worth a bit more than the NFL in Buffalo. To paraphrase something in the ratings thread, there are probably more TVs watching a regular season Clippers game than there are TVs in Buffalo total.

The Clippers aren't the Lakers.

But what about the NFL in LA? $3B? $5B?

They're going to get one hell of a boost once that sale goes through. It may not last long, but people will be going just to get some of that "hey, look at me, I'm tolerant" post-Sterling credibility. The timing is really good seeing as how the Lakers are struggling now.

Regarding the Clippers/Bills relative valuation question: it's worth noting that the Clippers get to negotiate their own local TV package, which is hugely lucrative, and eclipses the difference between the national NFL and NBA TV revenues.

The broader point, though, about the $2B number for the Clippers not boding well for Buffalo is valid IMHO.

I might have been enthusiastic, I should have said playoff game. If the playoff ratings last year were 2.3 million-ish, the statement works.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/clippers-ratings-tnt-donald-sterling/

An average of 4.73 million people watched the LA Clippers beat the Golden State Warriors last night on TNT, just hours after the NBA slapped Clippers owner Donald Sterling with a lifetime ban and fined him $2.5 million in the wake of racist comments he made in a phone conversation with his mistress. That makes it the most watched game so far this playoff season, and about double the crowd playoff games were clocking at same point last post-season.

But what about the NFL in LA? $3B? $5B?

I guess it's between those two numbers.

@TheBuffaloNews

Continued: News sources indicate Jerry Hughes was second Bills player involved in alleged drag racing incident.

well this just keeps getting better. The Bills finally have a REALLY talented roster...and they're going to beat themselves before the season even starts :wallbash: :censored:

There's been a large increase in sports franchise values since 2011 (the end of the pit of the recession). Dodgers went from $800M to $1B and sold for $2B. Bucks went from $258M to $405M and sold for $550M. Clippers valuation went from $305M to $575M, but are offered $2B.

Recent purchasers overpaid the valuations by 35-250%. However, the Bucks are in Milwaukee and the other two are franchises in the 2nd largest American TV market. The over payment for the Bucks was 35%. The over payment for the Dodgers and Clippers was 100% and 250%, respectively.

This is the enormous red flag for Bills fans, proof that what we feared all along may be coming to reality: LA has way too much money and buyers there are extremely willing to spend way too much.

The Bills are valued at $870M, which is up slightly from $792M in 2011. However, if moved to Los Angeles, they may be valued at something closer to the value of the Jets, the Giants, the Bears, the Eagles, or the 49ers, an average 2013 valuation of $1.33B. If the Bills are allowed to move, the purchase price will likely exceed $2.5B (twice that of a possible LA valuation). If they're not allowed to move, they may sell closer to $1.6B (slightly less than twice that of the Buffalo valuation).

$2.5B is a lot of money. It's enough to pay more than half of all City of Buffalo residents (~130000 people) the annual per capita income (~$19k). Can a buyer that plans to keep the Bills in Buffalo realistically justify that?

Full disclosure: I will stop rooting for the Bills if they come to LA.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

well this just keeps getting better. The Bills finally have a REALLY talented roster...and they're going to beat themselves before the season even starts :wallbash: :censored:

Or die trying.

There's been a large increase in sports franchise values since 2011 (the end of the pit of the recession). Dodgers went from $800M to $1B and sold for $2B. Bucks went from $258M to $405M and sold for $550M. Clippers valuation went from $305M to $575M, but are offered $2B.

Recent purchasers overpaid the valuations by 35-250%. However, the Bucks are in Milwaukee and the other two are franchises in the 2nd largest American TV market. The over payment for the Bucks was 35%. The over payment for the Dodgers and Clippers was 100% and 250%, respectively.

This is the enormous red flag for Bills fans, proof that what we feared all along may be coming to reality: LA has way too much money and buyers there are extremely willing to spend way too much.

The Bills are valued at $870M, which is up slightly from $792M in 2011. However, if moved to Los Angeles, they may be valued at something closer to the value of the Jets, the Giants, the Bears, the Eagles, or the 49ers, an average 2013 valuation of $1.33B. If the Bills are allowed to move, the purchase price will likely exceed $2.5B (twice that of a possible LA valuation). If they're not allowed to move, they may sell closer to $1.6B (slightly less than twice that of the Buffalo valuation).

$2.5B is a lot of money. It's enough to pay more than half of all City of Buffalo residents (~130000 people) the annual per capita income (~$19k). Can a buyer that plans to keep the Bills in Buffalo realistically justify that?

Full disclosure: I will stop rooting for the Bills if they come to LA.

The major potential saving grace for potential valuation of the Bills is no local TV contracts for NFL teams unless you want to count preseason games and all the 'Doug Marrone Show,' 'EJ Manuel Show,' 'Fred Jackson Show,' etc as local TV contracts.

That, and potential risk of addional concussion lawsuits (though I doubt they factor in heavily in a valuation), might keep an NFL franchise value, even for an LA based franchise, lower than the Clippers offer might lead 1 to expect.

The major potential saving grace for potential valuation of the Bills is no local TV contracts for NFL teams unless you want to count preseason games and all the 'Doug Marrone Show,' 'EJ Manuel Show,' 'Fred Jackson Show,' etc as local TV contracts.

That, and potential risk of addional concussion lawsuits (though I doubt they factor in heavily in a valuation), might keep an NFL franchise value, even for an LA based franchise, lower than the Clippers offer might lead 1 to expect.

The two LA franchises in question were also already located in LA at the time of the sale (or pending sale depending on that whole Sterling thing). The moving expenses would have to be added in. Now those may wind up being manageable given that kind of boost in value, but it is probably going to wind up being much cheaper to move someone else. Oakland is supposed to be on a one-year lease, so the prime target couldn't be much more obvious.

The two LA franchises in question were also already located in LA at the time of the sale (or pending sale depending on that whole Sterling thing). The moving expenses would have to be added in. Now those may wind up being manageable given that kind of boost in value, but it is probably going to wind up being much cheaper to move someone else. Oakland is supposed to be on a one-year lease, so the prime target couldn't be much more obvious.

If the Raiders move to LA again, They Might Be Giants might write a song about it.

Guest Sloth

I've never seen a live football practice. Is it worth the trip?

Yes, the type of excitement/entertainment is in no comparison to a game, but it is still a lot of fun. Getting to see players you enjoyed watching on Sunday's and players you hope will be the next so and so is definitely worth the trip. Granted, I haven't been to one in years, so things may have changed a bit. Gives me an excuse to go to one.