Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

Odell Beckham, Jr. just proved that the Bills did not need to spend two first-round draft picks on a wide receiver, in case there were any doubts.

Correct.

Also proved we need to just F'ing fire everyone and start over too. Nice trade, Doug.

Is there any part of this organization that doesn't suck?

Also correct.

I hate this type of argument. It was an amazing catch, might be the best I've ever seen, but it doesn't mean anything. I don't think he will be in the same class as Watkins when it's all said and done.

You can hate the trade, beckham just doesn't gave to do anything with it IMO

I'm not arguing for or against the trade. I'm just saying I take sammy Watkins over beckham 10 times out of 10.

Ignoring the trade, team, and history, would anyone take beckham on their team over Watkins? I just don't see it, that was my point (nothing to do with Whaley or the bills, but Watkins will be the better player. I'm not saying anyone was saying otherwise)

But you can't ignore the trade. The trade is the whole point. The Bills could've gotten a difference-maker at WR (and, btw, there are about 3 other rookie WRs having huge seasons) without giving up what will probably be a top-10 pick in the draft.

The Bills are dying for a QB and for another good O-lineman. Would you rather have Watkins, or one of the other WRs plus a highly-drafted QB or lineman? And in answering that question, you have to factor in the fact that Watkins has been injury-prone so far.

I'll just take a win tonight so the season isn't officially over yet. How about we start there?

But do you think those dastardly refs will allow this to happen?

I'd like to find a good TE somewhere too, if possible.

That's secondary at this point. Have to find a QB and somebody to protect him.

There aren't a whole lot of needs. QB and guard are NEEDS. An upgrade at TE would be nice. Another defensive back might be good. Otherwise it just comes down to paying the guys already on the team. Won't be easy to pay three d-linemen elite money.

Beckham has Eli Manning throwing to him, while Watkins has Manuel/Orton. Eli isn't his brother, but he's miles ahead of what we have to offer, so of course he's going to look pretty close to Watkins.

And yes, I fully realize this hammers home the "don't trade a 1st round pick when you don't have a QB" point. But that doesn't mean they're close to equivalent players.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Sammy Watkins is still the best receiver from the 2014 draft. We just have two of the dumbest offensive coaches in the league and some questionable QB's. Sammy can't throw the ball to himself.

Hey remember when we drafted EJ Manuel in the first round? Remember how everyone was all sunshine and sparkles and happy days because the bills went out and got their guy? Well that decision was 10times more vacuous than the trade for Watkins. The GM, President, and offensive coaching staff should all be fired... like now.

Nfreeman I meant ignore the trade for my useless point that Watkins is better than beckham in my opinion. Wasn't bills specific lol. I also think they should all be fired

11, weren't you one of the people who was very vocal in here earlier in the year stating that Manuel needs to be given more time?

I think if bills lose any of their next three games, there's no reason not to start Manuel

I think if bills lose any of their next three games, there's no reason not to start Manuel

That's not what I'm trying to get at here. I just think that this view of Manuel doesn't mix well with the premature view that we shouldn't have made the trade and instead drafted Beckham.

That's secondary at this point. Have to find a QB and somebody to protect him.

There aren't a whole lot of needs. QB and guard are NEEDS. An upgrade at TE would be nice. Another defensive back might be good. Otherwise it just comes down to paying the guys already on the team. Won't be easy to pay three d-linemen elite money.

True. I'm just so so sick of us not having any idea of what a TE is, and seemingly forgetting that we need to cover them. We haven't been able to cover a tight end for twenty years, and haven't had one of our own. It's beyond frustrating.

But QB and Line come first, yeah

Do we need to draft a running back at some point too?

Sammy Watkins is still the best receiver from the 2014 draft. We just have two of the dumbest offensive coaches in the league and some questionable QB's. Sammy can't throw the ball to himself.

Hey remember when we drafted EJ Manuel in the first round? Remember how everyone was all sunshine and sparkles and happy days because the bills went out and got their guy? Well that decision was 10times more vacuous than the trade for Watkins. The GM, President, and offensive coaching staff should all be fired... like now.

Vaguely. We drafted Kiko at 8th overall, and then he laid an egg. 2 months later, a fully grown EJ Manuel hatched from it.

True. I'm just so so sick of us not having any idea of what a TE is, and seemingly forgetting that we need to cover them. We haven't been able to cover a tight end for twenty years, and haven't had one of our own. It's beyond frustrating.

The last 2 seasons the Bills have covered TE. Also, game breaking TE don't grow on trees.

Gronk

Thomas

Graham

Davis

You can argue that Chandler is as good as the rest. It's not as if grabbing one in the first is a sure fire way to get a good one either. Only one on that list, and he's the worst of the 4. ebron this year, lucky if he turns into Martellus Bennet.

Hey higher 2nd round draft pick

I just want to see another winning season. Even 9-7 would be a huge improvement for this franchise. Hell 8-8 still beats anything Jauron and Gailey were able to accomplish. It seems like our offense has completely ###### the bed since losing Jackson and Spiller. Jackson has been able to play somewhat but it's painfully obvious that he isn't healthy. To the real point though, I don't think EJ Manuel is ready to QB this team yet and he may never be but that definitely remains to be seen. Orton isn't playing all that well but he's still better than Manuel by a long shot. I hope they bring in another outsider next year and have a 3 man competition for starting QB next year, but I don't think Orton should be benched for EJ.

Yea, I think a drafted RB could be on the way. I wonder if we look at acquire a pick at some point. First pick should go to best QB available (there should be some decent names). Then adding to the interior line/TE/RB are the next priorities. Can add defensive backfield depth in FA.

11, weren't you one of the people who was very vocal in here earlier in the year stating that Manuel needs to be given more time?

Yes & I stand by that. Can't judge a QB until year 3. Even if parts of years 1 & 2 are spent on the bench (cf. Rivers, Rodgers).

Just because I think it was stupid to throw two first-rounders at a WR does not mean I think the 2015 first-rounder should have been spent on a QB, in case that's what you thought I was driving at. I just think it's way too large a price for a WR.

I'm not sure there's a QB in this year's draft that I would spend a first-round pick on, in any event. Definitely not Winston. I don't know enough about the West Coast guys.

Yes & I stand by that. Can't judge a QB until year 3. Even if parts of years 1 & 2 are spent on the bench (cf. Rivers, Rodgers).

Just because I think it was stupid to throw two first-rounders at a WR does not mean I think the 2015 first-rounder should have been spent on a QB, in case that's what you thought I was driving at. I just think it's way too large a price for a WR.

I'm not sure there's a QB in this year's draft that I would spend a first-round pick on, in any event. Definitely not Winston. I don't know enough about the West Coast guys.

My post had nothing to do with what they would have done with the lost draft pick. It just seems odd to me that you think Manuel should be given more time yet you want to pass judgement on the Watkins trade/drafting after 10 games. They seem like two contradictory thoughts to me.

My post had nothing to do with what they would have done with the lost draft pick. It just seems odd to me that you think Manuel should be given more time yet you want to pass judgement on the Watkins trade/drafting after 10 games. They seem like two contradictory thoughts to me.

Oh, well here goes:

1. I don't think it takes nearly as long to evaluate a WR as it does to evaluate a QB, nor do I think development takes anywhere nearly as long.

2. I didn't even wait ten games to pass judgment on the Watkins trade. I didn't like it the minute it happened.

3. None of this should be construed as anti-Watkins. He is going to be a great WR, he's already fun to watch, and he seems like a hell of a guy. It's just too high a price.

Here's my question to you 11. Do you trust the bills at making 2 first round draft picks haha (instead of sammy). We would've taken someone like Ebron, and then something like a safety this year.

Please fire everyone

(This is semi tongue in cheek, but sadly kinda serious)

Edited by Numark

Here's my question to you 11. Do you trust the bills at making 2 first round draft picks haha (instead of sammy). We would've taken someone like Ebron, and then something like a safety this year.

Please fire everyone

Whaley has said that he would have taken Ebron at 9 unless something wild happened and someone fell to them.

Please fire everyone

I don't know. All I know is that if someone paid $8 for a gallon of milk, there's an overpayment of $4, regardless of what the person would have spent the other $4 on.