Grigorenko

bob_sauve28

Is Grigs planking on top of a bench press bar? Holy sh!t that is impressive. Wondering if his skating has improved as much as his strength. Elite Prospects has him listed as 201lbs, but 219lbs sounds way better. I am still really cheering for this kid, DR tried to ruin him.

He is 219 in Russian. Google translate says that is 201 in English.

• 3 weeks later...
sobotka, 27, had career highs of nine goals and 33 points in 61 games last season for the Blues. He won 61.9 percent of his faceoffs to lead the NHL.

I believe so much in this kid to make this statement, Grigorenko will beat all that in his first full season.

Allthough 33 points would be a dissapointment, thought i read 61 points lol.

Edited by Heimdall

I believe so much in this kid to make this statement, Grigorenko will beat all that in his first full season.

Allthough 33 points would be a dissapointment, thought i read 61 points lol.

Serious question: why do you have faith in him? He hasn't shown any glimmer whatsoever of being able to keep up with the NHL game, let alone be an effective player.

Serious question: why do you have faith in him? He hasn't shown any glimmer whatsoever of being able to keep up with the NHL game, let alone be an effective player.

I agree it's oddly placed faith. OTOH, the reports on his fitness and attitude this summer are heartening.

I'm with Heimdall on this. I keep hearing the bolded from people but I don't see what they are seeing. He was 19 when he played for us, brought up to early on a wretched team, scored a couple of goals and didn't embarrass himself. I'd say that's at least a glimmer.

Outside of Thomas Hertl and Zemgus has anyone from the 2012 draft who was picked outside the top 10 become a full time NHL player? Just doing a quick scan the answer is no. Grigorenko may not be NHL ready at 20 but what about at 22? He seems to have comported himself well all things considered. If he is bad in the AHL this year, I think then we will really know more about his ceiling and abilities.

Grigorenko has done about what you'd expect a mid first-rounder to have done in his two years after being drafted.

Dominated juniors, performed well in the WJC, got a taste of the pros and gotten bigger and stronger.

Don't judge him on his botched NHL experience.

I remain more worried about Armia.

Grigorenko has done about what you'd expect a mid first-rounder to have done in his two years after being drafted.

Dominated juniors, performed well in the WJC, got a taste of the pros and gotten bigger and stronger.

Man, that is the truth. Whilt the early reports this year on Grigorenko are encouraging, the same reports on Armia (that I've read (on Twitter (I have the attention span of a gnat))) are quite discouraging. He was described as looking lost and even disinterested at the prospect camp.

Even so, Armia was picked 16th overall. Without looking at anything, I suspect that many (maybe not most) of the 16th overall selections don't play 200 NHL games. That doesn't mean it isn't a significant lost opportunity if he does nothing for the team. But it's not the end of the world either. Of course, in three years when we're a young bubble team, we may need to hit on that 16th overall selection in order to put us over the top by years 5 and 6.

It has been said before, but if Grigorenko had followed the development path of a typical 12th overall pick, there would be nothing but optimism about him.

Man, that is the truth. Whilt the early reports this year on Grigorenko are encouraging, the same reports on Armia (that I've read (on Twitter (I have the attention span of a gnat))) are quite discouraging. He was described as looking lost and even disinterested at the prospect camp.

Even so, Armia was picked 16th overall. Without looking at anything, I suspect that many (maybe not most) of the 16th overall selections don't play 200 NHL games. That doesn't mean it isn't a significant lost opportunity if he does nothing for the team. But it's not the end of the world either. Of course, in three years when we're a young bubble team, we may need to hit on that 16th overall selection in order to put us over the top by years 5 and 6.

Yup, middle of the first round is basically a coin flip to ever see real NHL time, let alone do something with it. As I seem to recall, Armia was seen as a boom or bust pick at the time, so his odds were probably even worse.

His FO % was pretty decent, he was the only one on the sabres during those 18 games he played of whom i thought, hey maybe we'll win one this time.

Also seeing he was only 19 yrs old at the time, i thought he showed some pretty good things, but was stuck playing with baboons who just don't see the game well.

The kid got put in a very deflating position and i don't blame him for not showing "compete" at that age.

I really hate that word, its been thrown around for the sabres the past two years, but all i read is lack of talent.

And everything i hear and read is that he was among the top 3 in prospect camp, well everything i read that didn't come from a fan. :)

Wonder how Reinhart would do playing with john scott, they say he makes the players around him better....

Yup, middle of the first round is basically a coin flip to ever see real NHL time, let alone do something with it. As I seem to recall, Armia was seen as a boom or bust pick at the time, so his odds were probably even worse.

so maybe we lose on armia and win on zadorov? they were both selected at 16.

I completely agree that it's way too soon to judge Griggy (or Armia, for that matter) -- although I continue to think that it's at least 50% likely that both of them wash out.

I just disagree with the notion that Griggy has shown anything whatsoever on the ice to merit any optimism about him.

I think the optimism about him stems almost 100% from (i) the fact that he's a big center who put up good numbers in juniors and (ii) the semi-desperate hope that he's a highly talented kid who unfairly slid in the draft and the Sabres got lucky that he fell to them.

Nothing wrong with that, of course. I personally have higher hopes for Carrier (and of course Reinhart) than I do for Griggy and Armia, but those are similarly unsupported by having seen them play.

Even though DR screwed up Grigorenko's development, perhaps permanently, he still raised his points per game production each "season" in the QMJHL.

DR or TP? Sorry. It's all there in the record. Terry gave a big "why the hell wouldn't we?" to Grig staying with the Sabres after his "tryout." Parroting Darcy's company line, or the company line from the horse's mouth? You make the call.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.