The Tank is Done (Now we're just bad)

Johnny DangerFace

Tank over or not all i can say is i don't ever recall being this disinterested in the team in my life. For the last year or so we had the Miller/Vanek trade to keep us going. What we get for Ott, Moulson, etc. Now that those players are gone it really smacks you in the face how far we have to go.

I just hope that by the time this is all said and done i still give a f. I don't think i watched 10% of the Bills games this year. Didn't miss it - didn't care. Going to be hard to ride this thing out for as long as i fear it's going to take.

Does Ted Black need to be careful about the way he talks about the Tank? I have to believe that the league might not be too happy with him saying things like, "we could try to be good enough to squeek into 8th place, but we don't want to do that." (paraphrasing). He should just not talk about it at all.

The Bills strive to improve and field a playoff team each and every year, but even the biggest die hard knows deep down that they are a dead cinch lock to be on the outside looking in on the playoffs each and every January. That is truly soul sucking and I know it's cost me a great deal of the passion I used to feel for the Bills. They are a hopeless franchise.

The difference with the Sabres is that the tank (sucking) is being done with the purpose of coming out the other end with a stronger hockey team than they've ever had..... year in and year out. Is it guaranteed to work? Of course not, but it still allows for some hope for now.

The Bills strive to improve and field a playoff team each and every year, but even the biggest die hard knows deep down that they are a dead cinch lock to be on the outside looking in on the playoffs each and every January. That is truly soul sucking and I know it's cost me a great deal of the passion I used to feel for the Bills. They are a hopeless franchise.

The difference with the Sabres is that the tank (sucking) is being done with the purpose of coming out the other end with a stronger hockey team than they've ever had..... year in and year out. Is it guaranteed to work? Of course not, but it still allows for some hope for now.

I wish I could agree with the bolded part. Giving up a home game each year is not the action of a franchise striving to make the playoffs. Nor is hiring a series of retread coaches. Nor is letting one of their few good players go every year out of cheapness.

Does Ted Black need to be careful about the way he talks about the Tank? I have to believe that the league might not be too happy with him saying things like, "we could try to be good enough to squeek into 8th place, but we don't want to do that." (paraphrasing). He should just not talk about it at all.

That's why there's a draft lottery these days. If you finish last, at worst you're picking second. Assuming Reinhart this year... then McDavid/Eichel, I'd be OK with either in 2015. Plus NYI's first in 2015 (Strome, Barzal, Hanifin?). IIRC, they said they're keeping their pick this year as it's a top 10, but I can't imagine them being improved next year without Vanek, Moulson, or anthing to show for them.

Tank over or not all i can say is i don't ever recall being this disinterested in the team in my life. For the last year or so we had the Miller/Vanek trade to keep us going. What we get for Ott, Moulson, etc. Now that those players are gone it really smacks you in the face how far we have to go.

I just hope that by the time this is all said and done i still give a f. I don't think i watched 10% of the Bills games this year. Didn't miss it - didn't care. Going to be hard to ride this thing out for as long as i fear it's going to take.

I don't understand why people care about the Bills anyways. There front office doesn't have a clue, way too many coaches and player changes. Face it when it comes to players it's a revolving door. Develop that player and as soon as his rookie contract is done he is gone. Bills will never be good until they and I mean management gets their $hit together and really build a team.

That's why there's a draft lottery these days. If you finish last, at worst you're picking second. Assuming Reinhart this year... then McDavid/Eichel, I'd be OK with either in 2015. Plus NYI's first in 2015 (Strome, Barzal, Hanifin?). IIRC, they said they're keeping their pick this year as it's a top 10, but I can't imagine them being improved next year without Vanek, Moulson, or anthing to show for them.

I have a feeling Snow is going to defer the pick and let us pick this year. He will have a solid shot at McDavid with his $hit team. I hope I'm wrong but the other plan could be is he uses this years pick and go after whatever UFA they can get. I hardly doubt many players are gonna want to play there.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

It's all about the next two drafts now. But if that doesn't get you going, I get it.

Why some people don't want elite talent is beyond me... Who wants a guy like Kane or Toews? Crosby or Malkin? Stamkos?

This should be the most excited the fanbase should be since after the President's Cup season.

I've been saying it since we traded Pominville. We are trying to finish last in the 2014/2015 season. Why? To get our franchise player! How often is a franchise players traded? How often is a franchise player available in free agency? We want McDavid and we will sell off as many good players as we have to until we are guaranteed first overall pick. When we finish last place we are guaranteed 1st or 2nd overall pick. Are we done "tanking"? Our players were never trying to lose games. We play to win so technically we were never tanking. We are trading anyone over 25 who can play hockey so that the team we put on the ice doesn't have to tank, they just lose. I don't understand how people can't wrap their heads around this.

In my mind, we're definitely tanking at least through the end of next season. Trade the UFAs we're not interested in at the deadline. Maximize the 2015 draft picks.

At that point, we can get the geiger counter out and see how much radioactive fallout is left. If it looks all clear, we can crack open the lead-lined doors of our emotional bunkers.

If it still looks like we need even more picks/prospects, etc, then we'll have to get creative. Trading the UFAs we picked up this year and next year. Examining Myers, Ehrhoff, and Weber, etc. Things could get really dark then, especially if the kids aren't ready yet.

That is a great line my friend!

Why some people don't want elite talent is beyond me... Who wants a guy like Kane or Toews? Crosby or Malkin? Stamkos?

This should be the most excited the fanbase should be since after the President's Cup season.

Let's be reasonable here, that just isn't true. Everybody wants elite talent, but not everyone wants to deliberately tank to get it. I disagree with them and their reasoning, but there's no reason to distort their position.

I've been saying it since we traded Pominville. We are trying to finish last in the 2014/2015 season. Why? To get our franchise player! How often is a franchise players traded? How often is a franchise player available in free agency? We want McDavid and we will sell off as many good players as we have to until we are guaranteed first overall pick. When we finish last place we are guaranteed 1st or 2nd overall pick. Are we done "tanking"? Our players were never trying to lose games. We play to win so technically we were never tanking. We are trading anyone over 25 who can play hockey so that the team we put on the ice doesn't have to tank, they just lose. I don't understand how people can't wrap their heads around this.

There isn't a single person that doesn't get this concept. The only problem is that ther is no guarantee of the #1 pick. There is also no guarantee that this is the way to build a team. There is also no guarantee that I will not get hit by a bus and die 14 months into this rebuild and never see it to fruition. The only guarantee I have is having to watch painfully bad hockey for seemingly the rest of my life.

Buffalo Sabres- forever in the land of Next Year (only now it's become the land of Two Years From Now :wallbash: )

The tank has one more year. Given the traffic Ehroff and Myers generated at the deadline I wouldn't be surprised if they were traded at the draft. It all depends on the return. Stafford and Stewart will probably be gone at the draft or at the trade deadline next season. Ennis or Hodgson has to go at some time as they are too similar.

One more winter at Valley Forge. Stay the course!

:huh: what?

That is WGR talk, I heard Joe B. and Mike Schopp saying that the other day and my reaction was the same. "what", they were insistent that 1 or both don't fit (their) plans for success. No need for players that can score.

There isn't a single person that doesn't get this concept. The only problem is that ther is no guarantee of the #1 pick. There is also no guarantee that this is the way to build a team. There is also no guarantee that I will not get hit by a bus and die 14 months into this rebuild and never see it to fruition. The only guarantee I have is having to watch painfully bad hockey for seemingly the rest of my life.

Buffalo Sabres- forever in the land of Next Year (only now it's become the land of Two Years From Now :wallbash: )

Swamp nails it.

I am in full support of the tear down and rebuild. What I am not in support of is another 3 years of unentertaining hockey. As far as i am concerned the tank started last season. We are in year two of a scuttling. Year 3 is a given. Year 4 seems rather likely. I've seen too many teams turn things around much more quickly than that for me to be willing to get excited about 2, maybe 3 more seasons of hockey that isn't worth watching.

Like Eleven, I was ready for NHL ready bodies to come back to us yesterday. I know that might jeopardize the McDavid sweepstakes, but it seems to me that we should be able to turn this thing around and be a team talked about seriously when playoff time comes around without having to win the McDavid lottery. Fer cryin' out loud, we are going to be picking top 3 this year, hell maybe 2 out of 3 or top 3 again next year depending on the Isles, and we have a ton of young studs in the system on defense.

Next season is going to be tough for me to sit through. I feel bad for my Dad. Still paying for season tix. Still wears his heart on his sleeve for this team. Middle class guy that had to work 50+ hrs a week to afford those season tix. Now it's coming out of his retirement checks. Been a die hard since the day the team was announced. 2-3 more years of him shelling out to sit in the 300's and watch the guys on the ice lose to better staffed teams. Like me, he was good with last year and this year being tear downs. But we both were looking forward to next year being a year where we could watch a new core learn and grow, and like 1973, show some excitement and progress.

:clapping: .. (on with the ten year rebuild)

That is what frightens me, the draft lotto. If we could be guaranteed the #1 pick by finishing dead last, it would be a different story. Not to mention the expansion rumors.

They have the least number of goals for in the league and traded their last scoring winger. They have the most shots against in the league and traded their franchise GT. If this team finishes 7th or better next year I will send you a case of beer.

More likely, they will finish in 9th.

Again.

My point was more that if someone likes watching hockey games more than drafts and trade deadlines and UFA days, I get that. All that excites me somewhat, but if you're only excited by watching actual hockey, then I get that too.

It truly is an exciting time to be a Sabres fan, but only if one can derive enjoyment from watching trades, drafts, signings, etc, just about anything but the on-ice product.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I'm alright with this, but what about the signing of free agents this year? How can they add good players and still tank?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.