The Tank is Done (Now we're just bad)

Johnny DangerFace

Do people here not understand what the definition of tanking is? or have they made up their own definition now for something that already means something else?

Tanking is when a team goes into a season, or decides during one to lose games instead of win in order to obtain a high draft choice (uusually the #1 overall pick). Tanking typically involves gutting a team of its talent so that losing games becomes much easier.

This "Tank" is not done, its apparently far from over

You should read the topic :)

I said they have already gutted the roster and the team is bad enough so where tanking isnt even necessary for next year. I think they can start moving in young pieces, bring in some free agent veterans they think can be part of the future, and start trying to get better. Of course they are still going to move some depth players they don't think are part of the future, but the gutting of the team imp is done. The exact definition you provided i addressed in that they aren't going int o next season trying to intentionally be worse and gut the team, they have already done it. I think this is rock bottom.

this is worded better haha:

The tank is done, in terms of the sell-off being over.

Being bad will continue into next year, but it will be the afterglow of the tank, not the result of any future deliberate moves to finish lower in the standings. It will take time for the seeds we've acquired to start growing.

And don't kid yourself, Murray will be trading picks and prospects for players if he can, as long as those players are 25 and younger.

And he will be signing free agents - not to win now, but to create culture, competition and show kids the way.

Edited by Numark

The tank won't be complete until after the draft. GMTM had said the draft is when the type of players he is after are available, so I think the sell-off won't be "over" until that day passes. After that I would consider the tank over, and any player moves from that point aren't for stripping down the roster, but would be to rearrange it.

IMHO, our big problem next year might be goaltending. The tandem of Enroth/Neuvirth doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I disagree, I think its better then some might think

Also what might help is that the defence wasn't really touched at all at the deadline, so although its not the best, theres still talent there to help out (Myers, Ehrhoff).

I think we will see decent goaltending that keeps them in games, but the issue is going to be without a Hasek back there to win 1-0 games, they won't get much goal scoring from the forwards so they would need someone who can give up less then 2 goals a game in order for them to win

You should read the topic :)

I said they have already gutted the roster and the team is bad enough so where tanking isnt even necessary for next year. I think they can start moving in young pieces, bring in some free agent veterans they think can be part of the future, and start trying to get better. Of course they are still going to move some depth players they don't think are part of the future, but the gutting of the team imp is done. The exact definition you provided i addressed in that they aren't going int o next season trying to intentionally be worse and gut the team, they have already done it. I think this is rock bottom.

this is worded better haha:

The Tank is still not done until they start making moves to improve the current team, not the team a couple years from now. If they go into the season accepting that they will be bad in hopes of getting a top pick, they are still tanking. If they use cap space and picks to acquire players that will make them a better team with the intention of trying to get into the playoffs, then the Tank is over.

its quite possible that the gutting of the roster is over, but the tank is apparently far from over if the goal is McDavid or Bust

Tanking and a roster purge are tied together: you tank because of the roster purge. When the roster purge is finished, then I would say any intentional tanking is finished as well. That's not to say that they can't anticipate being really bad while they reconstruct the roster, I'm sure they do, and the timing of that just happens to be during the season where being really bad will help them in the draft that follows.

Edited by sizzlemeister

IMHO, our big problem next year might be goaltending. The tandem of Enroth/Neuvirth doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

PERFECT!! Why would I want great goaltending next year???

http://youtu.be/n0twkm75k8o

McDavid...Wow! :wub:

If any Sabre fan questions why the Sabres TANK continues for 2015 - they NEED to take a drive out to Erie and watch McDavid. I've seen him play live in Kitchener and once online through OHL live and he is worth the price of admission and worth every second of this rebuild. Yes, we are not guaranteed to get him even if we come in Last but you need as many ping pong balls as possible.

I think they will add a few players in off season, a scoring forward and a veteran d man and compete for a playoff spot. Call me a pre-season optimist, but I don't think the team is that far off. They will finish 7th next year. And that just might make a lot of people really angry

They have the least number of goals for in the league and traded their last scoring winger. They have the most shots against in the league and traded their franchise GT. If this team finishes 7th or better next year I will send you a case of beer.

They have the least number of goals for in the league and traded their last scoring winger. They have the most shots against in the league and traded their franchise GT. If this team finishes 7th or better next year I will send you a case of beer.

i would also demand immediate enshrinement into the HHOF for whomever is the coach of the team, along with Murray and every member of that team

Everything is going fine and some darn Sabre's fan throws some basic statistics at me, lol

:bag:

But for the record, I want a case of Southern Tier IPA :beer:

Well, if you put it that way...

I think a lot will depend on whether Risto, Zadorov and/or Pysyk are ready for prime time next year.

I can see 1 scenario with this occurring; risto and Zadorov come up and along with Myers light it up. Armia and Grigs become such an amazing tandem in Rochester and it follows in Buffalo. Enroth and Neuvirth pull off what Crawford/Emery did last year and Stafford scores 30. Hodgson and Ennis have great years, Girgs becomes a consistent scorer and Ott and or Moulson resigns.

The tank is done, in terms of the sell-off being over.

Being bad will continue into next year, but it will be the afterglow of the tank, not the result of any future deliberate moves to finish lower in the standings. It will take time for the seeds we've acquired to start growing.

And don't kid yourself, Murray will be trading picks and prospects for players if he can, as long as those players are 25 and younger.

And he will be signing free agents - not to win now, but to create culture, competition and show kids the way.

Exactly the way I see it.

I think a lot will depend on whether Risto, Zadorov and/or Pysyk are ready for prime time next year.

...and who they pull in during the off-season.

I do not think 7th is likely at all. Pipe dream, even. 8th? Depends on what they do. The defense next season could be far better than decent without any roster additions - just current roster subtractions. The key is what happens up front.

Edited by sizzlemeister

You might see Pysyk in Buffalo next year, perhaps Risto by the end of the year but I bet they would prefer not. No way on Zadorov.

I think they will add a few players in off season, a scoring forward and a veteran d man and compete for a playoff spot. Call me a pre-season optimist, but I don't think the team is that far off. They will finish 7th next year. And that just might make a lot of people really angry

Ted Black said on GR today that their intention was not to compete for a playoff spot next year. It would be an accident if it happened, not a plan.

You might see Pysyk in Buffalo next year, perhaps Risto by the end of the year but I bet they would prefer not. No way on Zadorov.

Ted Black said on GR today that their intention was not to compete for a playoff spot next year. It would be an accident if it happened, not a plan.

And I have a strong feeling that is exactly why Patty wasn't on board with this. That's my guess. I can almost bank on that he wanted to keep some of these ufa's and the rest of the staff and Murray weren't on board. And that's where I believe the fallout occurred. Just my guess on what I think happened.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Okay I went through this with a fine tooth comb. This should fully be accurate and include everything.

miller, vanek, gaustad, Roy, leopold, pominville, regehr, sekera, kassian, Mcnabb, McCormick, MAG, Brennan, Parker, boychuck, 2012 2nd, 2013 4th, 2014 4th, 2015 3rd, 2015 2nd (miller conditional), 2016 3rd (miller conditional)

For

Zadorov, Girgensons, Hodgson, compher, Larsson, possler, fasching, deslauriers, Hackett, mcbain, tallinder, florentino, Sulzer, pardy, neuvirth, Stewart, carrier, klesa, mitchell, Bailey, 2014 WPG 2nd, 2014 MIN 2nd, 2014/2015 NYI 1st, 2015 NYI 2nd, 2015 STL 1st, 2016 MIN 2nd, 2014 STL 1st (miller conditional)

Tanking and a roster purge are tied together: you tank because of the roster purge. When the roster purge is finished, then I would say any intentional tanking is finished as well. That's not to say that they can't anticipate being really bad while they reconstruct the roster, I'm sure they do, and the timing of that just happens to be during the season where being really bad will help them in the draft that follows.

I would say that tanking and the roster purge are two different things that are highly related. Doing one helps with the other, but they are not perfectly linked. Purging the roster ends when you stop selling off your old assets; tanking stops when you start replacing them with assets that help now. The roster purge might be done (or close to it), but ...

The Tank is still not done until they start making moves to improve the current team, not the team a couple years from now. If they go into the season accepting that they will be bad in hopes of getting a top pick, they are still tanking. If they use cap space and picks to acquire players that will make them a better team with the intention of trying to get into the playoffs, then the Tank is over.

Perfect. Get the team playing better in front of them to just be competitive (looking better but still not winning much), then insert top shelf goaltending. Instant contender in a couple years.

You might see Pysyk in Buffalo next year,

I can't understand why anyone thinks Pysyk isn't ready for the big club. He played great this year. Next year he'll be a Sabre for sure.

In my mind, we're definitely tanking at least through the end of next season. Trade the UFAs we're not interested in at the deadline. Maximize the 2015 draft picks.

At that point, we can get the geiger counter out and see how much radioactive fallout is left. If it looks all clear, we can crack open the lead-lined doors of our emotional bunkers.

If it still looks like we need even more picks/prospects, etc, then we'll have to get creative. Trading the UFAs we picked up this year and next year. Examining Myers, Ehrhoff, and Weber, etc. Things could get really dark then, especially if the kids aren't ready yet.

Okay I went through this with a fine tooth comb. This should fully be accurate and include everything.

miller, vanek, gaustad, Roy, leopold, pominville, regehr, sekera, kassian, Mcnabb, McCormick, MAG, Brennan, Parker, boychuck, 2012 2nd, 2013 4th, 2014 4th, 2015 3rd, 2015 2nd (miller conditional), 2016 3rd (miller conditional)

For

Zadorov, Girgensons, Hodgson, compher, Larsson, possler, fasching, deslauriers, Hackett, mcbain, tallinder, florentino, Sulzer, pardy, neuvirth, Stewart, carrier, klesa, mitchell, Bailey, 2014 WPG 2nd, 2014 MIN 2nd, 2014/2015 NYI 1st, 2015 NYI 2nd, 2015 STL 1st, 2016 MIN 2nd, 2014 STL 1st (miller conditional)

it gets a bit confusing but if Sabres get St.Louis first in 2014 then St.Louis will get the Minny #2 pick (and Sabres 3rd I believe).

Why the hell would the team President say that on the air?

We know they won't be, but damn it don't announce it.

I hate that guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.