Buffalo HAS to bring in 1 leader for next year (with talent)

CallawaySabres

Although a player like Girgensons may be the captain in a few years, Buffalo absolutely has to bring in a Callahan type player to teach these kids how to be winners over the next few years. All of this potential and youth will be useless without someone to guide them and teach them how to win in all situations. Maybe they bring in someone a notch below Callahan that won't command such a big payday but you know what I am getting at here.

Who are some of these targets that may be willing to come here for around 5 mill per year and is in their late 20's early 30's? As I see it, that player is definitely not on the team right now.

Edited by CallawaySabres

Callahan. Give him the contract he was seeking from the Rangers. Yes I realize they would be grossly overpaying for him but they do need to get to the salary cap floor somehow.

Jagr. One year four million. Cap Floor help and potential trade value at deadline.

Danny Briere. JK

Legwand, Callahan, Jagr, Koivu, Vrbata, Grabovski, Ott, Moulson

The only one on this list I'd call a leader is Ott. Not much leadership that I saw on Capgeek's UFA list that was appealing to me at all.

i don't think this needs to be done this year... next year doesn't matter at all. Bring the guy in for 2015 or maybe even 2016... our picks and prospects won't be ready to do anything until then at the earliest. A player like those mentioned won't want to come here and SUCK for two years just so in year 3 they can make a push for the 7 or 8 spot with things "looking up." I think those guys will love to be here come 2016-17 and beyond but before that is kind of silly. I hate to say it but I think this is why maybe Nolan won't sign his extension... it's not in his DNA to NOT want to win now and the business plan is to suck for one more year and be somewhat bad the year after that and then hopefully make a push to the 8 spot and beyond.

I know it's hard for some fans to deal with but the Sabres will not even attempt to make the playoffs until the 2015-2016 season and maybe really not until 2016- 2017season

i don't think this needs to be done this year... next year doesn't matter at all. Bring the guy in for 2015 or maybe even 2016... our picks and prospects won't be ready to do anything until then at the earliest. A player like those mentioned won't want to come here and SUCK for two years just so in year 3 they can make a push for the 7 or 8 spot with things "looking up." I think those guys will love to be here come 2016-17 and beyond but before that is kind of silly. I hate to say it but I think this is why maybe Nolan won't sign his extension... it's not in his DNA to NOT want to win now and the business plan is to suck for one more year and be somewhat bad the year after that and then hopefully make a push to the 8 spot and beyond.

I know it's hard for some fans to deal with but the Sabres will not even attempt to make the playoffs until the 2015-2016 season and maybe really not until 2016- 2017season

The young players next year will still need leadership and you have to install that IMMEDIATELY. We have all seen what happens without it and that is exactly how we got to this point. Not having that leader next year would be a big mistake. Everybody knows they will be terrible but that does not mean you don't build it up properly.

I also think Nolan isn't going to accept his extension I hope that's not the case because he won't have hardly anything to work with next season as well. I said this last season when they started the first part of the rebuild that it was going to be 3-5 years before we see playoffs and I was leaning more towards 5. Does this suck? Of course it does a lot of fans don't want to wait that long. But this team was far and I mean far from competing for the cup with last years and this years current squad.

Looking through the pending FA list, here are guys I would give some money to in the offseason. Sign them for two year deals.

Brian Gionta, 35 years old, RW, 13-18 for 31 pts this season.

Marek Zidlicky, 37 years old, Defense, 10-22 and a -1 this season.

Ray Whitney, 41 years old, LW, 7-18 for 25 this season.

Saku Koivu, 39 years old, C, 9-15 for 24 this season

None of these guys are going to make us an offensive juggernaut. But if they're willing to come here I take them.

There are also a TON of vet defensemen on the FA list. We don't have to rush our kids if we don't want to.

Given our obvious needs for leadership and to get to the salary floor, an overpayment for Callahan looks like a no-brainer.

There are no other free agents out there who check those two boxes like he does. Ott comes closest.

I would be happy if the Sabres overpaid for both Ott and Callahan this summer. Moulson too, for that matter.

Looking through the pending FA list, here are guys I would give some money to in the offseason. Sign them for two year deals.

Brian Gionta, 35 years old, RW, 13-18 for 31 pts this season.

Marek Zidlicky, 37 years old, Defense, 10-22 and a -1 this season.

Ray Whitney, 41 years old, LW, 7-18 for 25 this season.

Saku Koivu, 39 years old, C, 9-15 for 24 this season

None of these guys are going to make us an offensive juggernaut. But if they're willing to come here I take them.

There are also a TON of vet defensemen on the FA list. We don't have to rush our kids if we don't want to.

but at those ages, what would be their reason for coming here instead of just retiring? They have all had long careers and made their money, how many want to come to a team that has no shot at the playoffs let alone the cup. At those ages, usually the only reason they go somewhere is for one last shot at a championship.

their best option is if they can convince someone to come with a verbal/handshake agreement they get moved to a cup contender at the deadline.

but at those ages, what would be their reason for coming here instead of just retiring? They have all had long careers and made their money, how many want to come to a team that has no shot at the playoffs let alone the cup. At those ages, usually the only reason they go somewhere is for one last shot at a championship.

their best option is if they can convince someone to come with a verbal/handshake agreement they get moved to a cup contender at the deadline.

I think you have to find guys who just want to still be playing hockey. Think Craig Rivet. No one wanted him and he wasn't going to a contender. But he still wanted to be playing.

I'd go after Ott, Morrow, and Jagr. Moulson if he's willing and resign Tallinder. Aside from Ott & Moulson they are past their prime and experienced players with trade value at the deadline.

If you keep Erhroff, give Sulzer another year. Find a Rivet sort of guy to give money to and give depth/experience to the youngsters. I'd then give Zadorov and Risto short NHL stints for experience(5 games each) I'd keep D'agstini and Ellis. Field the team with old guys and a spattering of "NHLers" and young guys.

Then how are they going to teach anybody how to win?

and if you don't want guys that can show them how to win, why are you trying to sign veteran guys?

It's not about winning games. It's about helping these kids focus on their goals. They're going to lose, but you need vets to help them understand that they will grow from it. We can't have a losing season where nothing is gained.

It's not about winning games. It's about helping these kids focus on their goals. They're going to lose, but you need vets to help them understand that they will grow from it. We can't have a losing season where nothing is gained.

how can you start/teach a winning culture when your trying not to win and accept losing?

whats the vet going to tell them, "Its ok that you guys keep losing and can't get a win, look to the bright side, McDavid will soon be here to save all of you!"

how can you start/teach a winning culture when your trying not to win and accept losing?

whats the vet going to tell them, "Its ok that you guys keep losing and can't get a win, look to the bright side, McDavid will soon be here to save all of you!"

We just got to hope we are bad enough next year and we can win that lottery for McDavid. I know they have to get to the cap floor and I laughed at what someone said by giving Tallinder a 1 year $25 million contract. Now that's damn funny!

Edited by SabresBillsFan

You're twisting this. You can't build a culture of winning without first having a culture of competition and mentoring. Your culture of winning will come from this. It's not something you pull out of thin air and say "well we're going to be winners now!".

It's no harder than teaching how to win when you're trying to win but end up losing miserably anyway.

What do you get when you put a bunch of players on the ice with a ton of talent without any sort of proper development and leadership? Edmonton........

I would be happy if the Sabres overpaid for both Ott and Callahan this summer. Moulson too, for that matter.

I'd be on board with that.

What do you get when you put a bunch of players on the ice with a ton of talent without any sort of proper development and leadership? Edmonton........

You let them develop outside of the NHL and mature there, which I think is what Murray plans on doing. And Edmonton had some veteran leadership (Ryan Smyth, anyone?)...but what they didn't do is let the kids play out their junior career to mature, or construct a roster with responsible two-way forwards to surround them with, or acquire any good defensemen, or even an average goaltender. I'm not in favor of icing a team with an average age of 19, but there's many more reasons Edmonton failed than lack of veterans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.