All about St. Louis's Blues

darksabre

Kessel is symptomatic of Toronto's problem. Building a team from the outside in is a sure recipe for inconsistency.

When it works it is beautiful, but without controlling center ice, other teams can dictate too much of the game.

Darcy Reiger tried to build from the wing in once. We are still paying for that stupidity.

This is what I had in mind when I thought about Kessel. We've seen too many years of good-great wingers with no center-men in Buffalo and they failed every time. It just doesn't work.

For the bold, exactly. Wingers can work on international/Olympic size rinks, and in other sports like soccer where you might throw your fastest player on the wings to give him space from the clogged up middle, but in NHL sized rinks they have no space on the outside so they become much more limited. Not to say they aren't important, just not nearly as much as a center-man is.

Edited by WildCard

I think Darcy honestly believed he had more in #19, #9, and #28 than he actually did.

They would have been fine if they were the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers their talent dictated they should be. I think Darcy wanted to do better but couldn't figure out how after black Sunday.

They would have been fine if they were the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers their talent dictated they should be. I think Darcy wanted to do better but couldn't figure out how after black Sunday.

No, he thought that Connolly and Roy were 1s like Drury and Briere. His failure to acquire any centers thereafter confirms that, I think.

Don't do this to me.

What is the complete list of skaters taken in rounds one and two from Stafford (2004) to Myers (2008) too much to handle?

Funk, Zagarapan, Gogulla, Persson, Weber, Brennan, and Schiestel?

Or is this list worse?

Krejci, Oshie, Letang, Berglund, Clutterbuck, Subban, Simmonds. All taken shortly after each of those picks.

What is the complete list of skaters taken in rounds one and two from Stafford (2004) to Myers (2008) too much to handle?

Or is this list worse?

Krejci, Oshie, Letang, Berglund, Clutterbuck, Subban, Simmonds. All taken shortly after each of those picks.

I'd much rather have Stafford than Clutterbuck.

...Not sure if that statement is going to diffuse the situation, or escalate it.

...Not sure if that statement is going to diffuse the situation, or escalate it.

Debatable, but it wouldn't change that some really good players were missed.

But I'm also a believer that some cities/franchises destroy players before they even arrive, so who knows if they'd be good players here. Extreme talent can't be stopped no matter the city/franchise, which is why I'm a huge tank supporter.

Edited by Tankalicious

Or is this list worse?

Lie down in the middle of 198.

Lie down in the middle of 198.

OK, but be warned: I die on 198, Bergman and Associates is definitely going to recommend the complete removal option.

He could have had both. Would have cost us Weber.

Or is this list worse?

Why not include 2003 and the Vanek pick?

I'm no fan of Regier or this teams drafting over the years. I do think you have to break up the different era's within Regier's time as GM.

Considering what happen against Carolina in '05-'06 is it any surprise the Sabres drafted 5 defense-men over the first two rounds in 06,07 and 08? If you look at the drafting post Drury & Briere, it shows a great deal of faith in what many here thought was a pretty solid core that included Vanek, Pominville, Gaustad, Roy and Stafford. In '08 they went D and 2 centers in the first two rounds. '09 they went with the big winger and '10 they went with defense.

Post Drury & Briere the Sabres drafted based on the idea that they had a solid core of top six forwards to build around. That's the fatal flaw right there. Take away the the absolute faith Regier had in that core and the drafts look completely different.

I'm no fan of Regier or this teams drafting over the years. I do think you have to break up the different era's within Regier's time as GM.

Considering what happen against Carolina in '05-'06 is it any surprise the Sabres drafted 5 defense-men over the first two rounds in 06,07 and 08? If you look at the drafting post Drury & Briere, it shows a great deal of faith in what many here thought was a pretty solid core that included Vanek, Pominville, Gaustad, Roy and Stafford. In '08 they went D and 2 centers in the first two rounds. '09 they went with the big winger and '10 they went with defense.

Post Drury & Briere the Sabres drafted based on the idea that they had a solid core of top six forwards to build around. That's the fatal flaw right there. Take away the the absolute faith Regier had in that core and the drafts look completely different.

Yes, this is the point I was making. I bookended with Stafford and Myers because between them was some fantastically terrible early round drafting.

At what point did Regier stop drafting? He was likely the final decision maker for most, but he relied heavily on scouts for a bit and then Devine led the draft for the end. So it's tough to gauge who gets blame where.

Edited by Tankalicious

Or is this list worse?

Now you're just being a sadist.

You have got to be kidding.

Yes, this is the point I was making. I bookended with Stafford and Myers because between them was some fantastically terrible early round drafting.

Well, I can't speak for DeLuca, but I suspect he was being serious in criticizing the Vanek pick -- and rightly so. There were at least 10 players drafted after Vanek in 2003 that are much better than he is.

Now you're just being a sadist.

You have got to be kidding.

Well, I can't speak for DeLuca, but I suspect he was being serious in criticizing the Vanek pick -- and rightly so. There were at least 10 players drafted after Vanek in 2003 that are much better than he is.

Clutterbuck has less offensive ability than Paul Gaustad and no possession ability to speak of, who averages 20 points per year. He hits...whoop-de-freakin-do. Stafford is 3x the player Clutterbuck is.

And 10 players after Vanek who are much better? Are we talking in the first round, or the entire draft? Because in the first round I count 4 who are "much" better: Suter, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry. Comparables include Carter, Richards, Seabrook, and Kesler.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.