All about St. Louis's Blues

darksabre

Did you watch the game? Even the highlights? Or did you just lob in a criticism?

I just lobbed it in. I didn't watch any of it. I guess I assumed that winning a playoff game with a 1.8 GAA and .929 save percentage was better than losing a deciding playoff game with a 5.0 GAA and .815 save percentage.

My apologies.

Well, we both know that's not the best way to judge how a goalie played, so I'll leave you to it, then.

x shots on goal, x get by, what better way to evaluate a goalie? If you want to make it subjective, then maybe the goalie with the 18th best save percentage this season actually deserves the Vezina more than whoever will end up winning it. There's a place for subjectivity when evaluating goals, sure. A few really aren't the goalie's fault. I think the vast majority are fair game.

You're really just being contrarian and obtuse, and I've never wanted you more.

While I agree that stats aren't the best way to judge a goalie, or any player for that matter, I'm with PA. Miller played really well in the first two periods, but he broke down in the third. The Sharp goal was all on him. Normally you can't say that about a breakaway, but his teammate mauled Sharp (to the point of a penalty) and Sharp just pushed the puck towards him and Miller misplayed it horribly. Then the dam broke. A few tips that were nearly impossible, but Miller never made THE save this series. He never bailed his teammates out which is what a goalie should be doing in the playoffs.

Look, you're going to face elite talent in the playoffs and that talent is going to beat out your defense from time-to-time. It's the goalies job to do the spectacular or the team will be going home. Miller did the bare minimum for the most part and St. Louis is done. We don't need to excuse Miller's play anymore, he's elsewhere.

His team never supported him with the goal production, but his play didn't help either way.

I invite you to take a closer look at the 2006 NHL draft

2006 NHL draft, per Hockeydb, the top 5 point producers were:

Rank, Draft Position Name

1 4 Nicklas Backstrom

2 5 Phil Kessel

3 3 Jonathan Toews

4 22 Claude Giroux

5 2 Jordan Staal

The Flyers did well in getting Giroux at 22. There were other lower draft picks that did well such as Lucic at 50 who is #6.

Lucic is a great player, but is he a game changer? Backstrom, Kessel, or Toews are players who can carry a team.

1 4 Nicklas Backstrom

2 5 Phil Kessel

3 3 Jonathan Toews

4 22 Claude Giroux

5 2 Jordan Staal

The Flyers did well in getting Giroux at 22. There were other lower draft picks that did well such as Lucic at 50 who is #6.

Lucic is a great player, but is he a game changer? Backstrom, Kessel, or Toews are players who can carry a team.

I'd say only Toews fits that category

1 4 Nicklas Backstrom

2 5 Phil Kessel

3 3 Jonathan Toews

4 22 Claude Giroux

5 2 Jordan Staal

I think his point was that the Blues had the first pick in that draft.

Tanking is only as good as your ability to pick the gamechanger.

Kessel carried the USA Olympics squad. Kessel carried the Leafs. Their late season collapse is sympomatic

of a team that over-relies on a few players.

Backstrom has to try to make up for the player that is Ovechkin and a horrible lack of depth.

I think his point was that the Blues had the first pick in that draft.

Tanking is only as good as your ability to pick the gamechanger.

touche'.

Which brings us to this question, if Florida takes Sam (either) do we take Ekblad at #2 or the left over Sam?

The marginal difference among NHL Defensemen is meaningless compared to the marginal difference among top NHL forwards. If any of the top forwards in a draft remain, you take the forward every time.

And they turned that draft pick into Shattenkirk, Stewart (-> Miller), and Rattie. There's still a whole lot of uncertainty there, but I do like the return. At this point it all hinges on Rattie.

a first round pick and Johnson for Shattenkirk, Nothing (assuming Miller and Ott move on) and Rattie. None of this amounts to a successful #1 pick.

The marginal difference among NHL Defensemen is meaningless compared to the marginal difference among top NHL forwards. If any of the top forwards in a draft remain, you take the forward every time.

The development curve is so much slower for defensemen. Short of a guy like Doughty, most of these guys take a significant amount of time to establish themselves. So which pick you decide to make really depends on what situation your team is in. If you're hoping for a guy who can step in sooner and deliver, go with the forward. But if you have the luxury of sitting back and waiting for a guy to develop, you just might want to take that highly ranked d-man.

The development curve is so much slower for defensemen. Short of a guy like Doughty, most of these guys take a significant amount of time to establish themselves. So which pick you decide to make really depends on what situation your team is in. If you're hoping for a guy who can step in sooner and deliver, go with the forward. But if you have the luxury of sitting back and waiting for a guy to develop, you just might want to take that highly ranked d-man.

My contention is that, even given time to develop, a top forward will almost always improve your team more than a top defenseman.

In baseball terms, the WAR of the top 30 defensemen are probably all significantly lower than the WAR of the top 30 forwards.

Many 1st round d-dmen turn into great players... but you can certainly find very good d-men later in the draft. Looking at this year's three Norris candidates: Zdeno Chara was a 3rd round pick, Duncan Keith was a 2nd round pick, and Shea Weber was a 2nd round pick.

Conversely most of the top scorers were 1st round picks, although many were mid-to-late 1st rounders.

List of top 2 defenders taken in every draft since 2006

2006:

Eric Johnson - 1st

Ty Wishart - 16th

2007:

Thomas Hickey - 4th

Karl Alzner - 5th

2008:

Drew Doughty - 2nd

Zack Boogosian - 3rd

2009:

Victor Hedman - 2nd

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 6th

2010:

Eric Gubrandson - 3rd

Dylan Mcllrath - 10th

2011:

Adam Larsson - 4th

Dougie Hamilton - 9th

2012:

Ryan Murray - 2nd

Griffin Reinhart - 4th

List of top 2 forwards taken in every draft since 2006

2006:

Jordan Staal - 2nd

Jonathan Toews - 3rd

2007:

Pat Kane - 1st

James Van Riemsdyk - 2nd

2008:

Steve Stamkos - 1st

Nikita Filatov - 6th

2009:

John Tavares - 1st

Matt Duchene - 3rd

2010:

Taylor Hall - 1st

Tyler Seguin - 2nd

2011:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins -1st

Gabriel Landeskog - 2nd

2012:

Nail Yakupov - 1st

Alex Galchenyuk - 3rd

List of top 2 defenders taken in every draft since 2006

2006:

Eric Johnson - 1st

Ty Wishart - 16th

2007:

Thomas Hickey - 4th

Karl Alzner - 5th

2008:

Drew Doughty - 2nd

Zack Boogosian - 3rd

2009:

Victor Hedman - 2nd

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 6th

2010:

Eric Gubrandson - 3rd

Dylan Mcllrath - 10th

2011:

Adam Larsson - 4th

Dougie Hamilton - 9th

2012:

Ryan Murray - 2nd

Griffin Reinhart - 4th

List of top 2 forwards taken in every draft since 2006

2006:

Jordan Staal - 2nd

Jonathan Toews - 3rd

2007:

Pat Kane - 1st

James Van Riemsdyk - 2nd

2008:

Steve Stamkos - 1st

Nikita Filatov - 6th

2009:

John Tavares - 1st

Matt Duchene - 3rd

2010:

Taylor Hall - 1st

Tyler Seguin - 2nd

2011:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins -1st

Gabriel Landeskog - 2nd

2012:

Nail Yakupov - 1st

Alex Galchenyuk - 3rd

Fan-######-tastic.

a first round pick and Johnson for Shattenkirk, Nothing (assuming Miller and Ott move on) and Rattie. None of this amounts to a successful #1 pick.

Disagree, kind of. Individually, no. But Shattenkirk is a great dman. Not just good, he's great. Rattie could be something special, but we'll see about that. Stewart worked well for them in the time he was there so it's not like his value is zero just because he's no longer there. Same with Miller and Ott's time there.

Kessel carried the USA Olympics squad. Kessel carried the Leafs. Their late season collapse is sympomatic

of a team that over-relies on a few players.

Backstrom has to try to make up for the player that is Ovechkin and a horrible lack of depth.

That's also where he gets almost all of his points from. Still isn't even close to Toews production, and Toews isn't usually line-mates with the best player on that team, Kane. Backstrom has had great players on Capitals teams, they won the President's one year IIRC, but they wen't nowhere. Toews has been a monster in this playoffs, he has carried his team.

Kessel is a great player, but he's a good complimentary piece, not a core piece IMO. He's a winger first off, and his defensive play, although not terrible, isn't good enough to make him a complete player.

Toews does everything. He consistently hits ~30 goals/season, he's the captain of a 2-time Stanley Cup team, and he plays a 200 ft game. He makes everyone around him better.

Edited by WildCard

That's also where he gets almost all of his points from. Still isn't even close to Toews production, and Toews isn't usually line-mates with the best player on that team, Kane. Backstrom has had great players on Capitals teams, they won the President's one year IIRC, but they wen't nowhere. Toews has been a monster in this playoffs, he has carried his team.

Kessel is a great player, but he's a good complimentary piece, not a core piece IMO. He's a winger first off, and his defensive play, although not terrible, isn't good enough to make him a complete player.

Toews does everything. He consistently hits ~30 goals/season, he's the captain of a 2-time Stanley Cup team, and he plays a 200 ft game. He makes everyone around him better.

Kessel is symptomatic of Toronto's problem. Building a team from the outside in is a sure recipe for inconsistency.

When it works it is beautiful, but without controlling center ice, other teams can dictate too much of the game.

Kessel is symptomatic of Toronto's problem. Building a team from the outside in is a sure recipe for inconsistency.

When it works it is beautiful, but without controlling center ice, other teams can dictate too much of the game.

Darcy Reiger tried to build from the wing in once. We are still paying for that stupidity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.