Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

From Bucky Gleason:

@TBNbucky: Working phones all night. I'm hearing LaFontaine did not resign, but was fired. Many, many theories out there with blame on both sides.

@TBNbucky: One thing that is consistent: LaF and Murray agreed Nolan should stay. Power struggle was higher than Murray but not all execs involved.

Could be true. Will put more faith in it when it is reported/ confirmed by someone w/out an axe to grind. Until then I will go w/ the story that he resigned.

I'm not so ready to accept that this isn't bad for the team, or doesn't point to severe internal problems in the organization.

Pat's presence brought a degree of respect to the Sabres' organization. This team was pretty much being viewed as a joke, nationally, before PLF took over from Regier. And we also saw under Pat's leadership the return of Ted Nolan, and the hiring of Murray, both excellent positive moves.

I'm not going to say "Well, this is on Pat..." without more facts. Is it more than a coincidence this happened the day after Miller leaves? There are a lot of possibilities besides Pat throwing a childish temper tantrum. Maybe Pegula isn't comfortable with TM's wheeling/dealing and was giving PLF heat over the selection of Murray?

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Paul-Hamilton-Discusses-LaFontaine-Resignation-On-Sportsnet-Tonight-jsgr-20140301-Interview.mp3 <6:15>

Paul Hamilton, WGR Sports Radio 550 Sabres Reporter, joined Jeff Sammut & George Rusic on Sportsnet Tonight to discuss the resignation of Pat LaFontaine as the President of Hockey Operations for the Buffalo Sabres and a reported extension for interim head coach Ted Nolan.

It's been a long time since I've been here. Looks like I only post once a year, so let's make it a good one. From the outside, this seems to reflect more poorly on PLF than anyone else. Given his history in forcing a trade from Long Island, forcing a trade out of Buffalo, resigning from the Islanders after 40 days, and now abruptly resigning from the Sabres. It appears that while PLF is a very classy individual externally, his pattern of behavior indicates he's pretty temperamental and looks to dramatically leave a situation when things don't go his way.

Additionally, there were some rumors going around when Tim Murray was hired that apparently were planted by Jim Benning. So, it is not necessarily clear he is all that clean as an individual if planted rumors by competing GM candidates are to be believed.

Either way, while I am saddened by the trade of Miller and Ott, it was a huge haul for the Sabres and the right thing to do. Keeping Ted Nolan is also the right thing to do. I think Tim Murray is the right guy to lead the Sabres through this rebuild, and has remarkable candor that basically cuts through any and all BS is a welcome change from the previous regime that spoke primarily in ambiguity, excuses, and spin. I don't get much of that from Murray, which is nice.

Still would like to know why this all went down, but I imagine that this will largely remain a mystery for a while.

Pat's presence brought a degree of respect to the Sabres' organization. This team was pretty much being viewed as a joke, nationally, before PLF took over from Regier. And we also saw under Pat's leadership the return of Ted Nolan, and the hiring of Murray, both excellent positive moves.

This is what concerns me. Pat's presence might have been the difference between a FA deciding to sign here or not,

Then again winning would help this as well

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Paul-Hamilton-Discusses-LaFontaine-Resignation-On-Sportsnet-Tonight-jsgr-20140301-Interview.mp3 <6:15>

Paul Hamilton, WGR Sports Radio 550 Sabres Reporter, joined Jeff Sammut & George Rusic on Sportsnet Tonight to discuss the resignation of Pat LaFontaine as the President of Hockey Operations for the Buffalo Sabres and a reported extension for interim head coach Ted Nolan.

Thanks!

Listened to the Paul Hamilton interview - I am having unpleasant flashbacks to the whole Ralph Wilson Jr/Bill Poulian deal... where Wilson Jr, stupidly put his own "people" and ego ahead of Bill Poulian and the best interests of the team.

Uh huh. Again, whether PLF wanted to attempt to resign Miller or trade him, if Pegula hired him to over-see hockey operations, and then allows his stooges to trump PLF's decision(s), I do not blame PLF for getting a chip on his shoulder and skipping town.

And another worry would be - things disintegrate further in the fallout of PLF's departure - for instance, it sounded to me from the interview that Ted Nolan has been already offered several days ago, this 3 yr contract, but he hasn't accepted. Maybe if he feels that he couldn't honorably work for the same organization that sent his friend PLF out the door, then he doesn't sign.

We've spent the past 3 months or so talking about how the culture shift has been fantastic. I think that this destroys that, and our culture is in the hands of Murray.

I also hate that we just hired this guy and have something this divisive this quickly. I think it speaks to us not planning well in the least. Let's assume the issue was over Ted Nolan. This really wasn't handled in the interview process? I just think that it makes the entire organization look pathetic.

This.

According to CBS sports, LaFontaine was very against trading miller, I don't know why they reported that, as Miller wanted to leave, there Is some truth hidden in all. Of this, but if we ever find out all the facts, I'll be amazed

My 2 cents:

- the timing makes me think that it must've been precipitated by the Miller trade.

- if that's true, that means either (i) LaFontaine thought the Sabres could re-sign Miller; (ii) LaFontaine realized they needed to trade Miller, but he didn't like THIS trade -- i.e. he thought the Sabres could've gotten a better deal; (iii) regardless of whether PLF liked the deal, TM made the deal without PLF's approval, and PLF thought he would have final say over all major moves, and if he wasn't going to have final say, he didn't want the job; or (iv) some other reason.

- If PLF thought the Sabres could've re-signed Miller -- why did he think that? Did Miller tell him that he would've signed for a Lundqvist-type contract? Miller did say, after Lundy got his deal, that that deal was now the market standard. Or did PLF just think with enough cajoling and charisma, he could get Miller to sign?

- if PLF thought he was going to have final signoff on all major moves -- why did he think that? Did TP promise him that and then renege? Did PLF just assume it because he hired TM (which would seem to be a reasonable assumption)?

- has it been confirmed anywhere that Craig Patrick is in fact staying on, as someone mentioned upthread? Or is that just an assumption because there hasn't been an announcement about CP? Because if CP leaves too, it looks even more like a sh--show.

- bottom line is that there is no way to avoid the the stench of a Mickey Mouse-looking organization at this point.

What a debacle.

- has it been confirmed anywhere that Craig Patrick is in fact staying on, as someone mentioned upthread? Or is that just an assumption because there hasn't been an announcement about CP? Because if CP leaves too, it looks even more like a sh--show.

The Sabres confirmed it in their official statement on the resignation.

If Nolan were to quit just because he thought that LaFontaine was not treated well, it's hard to imagine him getting another NHL job. I would even imagine that PLF would tell him to stay on, if only because the jobs are so hard to find.

If PLF wanted to sign Miller he should have talked to him about that. The last few years all Miller has done is throw up his hands and say he wanted to wait and see what direction the team was going to take first, if he wanted to sign he had plenty of time to do it.

TMs hands were tied so he had no choice. If PLF didnt understand then its probably for the better that he leaves now. By all accounts the guys who truly know the leagues personnel are still in place. Patrick and Murray got it covered, thanks for the help patty.

This is ######.

Respectfully 11, ###### Lafontaine. What kind of ###### bailout is he pulling here? There is a way to professionally handle these things and it doesn't look like he's doing anything close to that. Buh-Bye patty, it was nice knowing ya.

I wouldn't read too much into this, if Paul's info is accurate. PLF was hired to be a figurehead and he wasn't smart enough to realize it. Most of us could have told him that. Whether it was right or not, that's the way it is. The natives were getting restless and Pegula figured if he brought in somebody that the entire city knew and adored, it might settle things down a bit. I like PLF and I wish he stayed, it might make a difference in bringing in new UFA's. But if Tim Murray does it right there shouldn't be a need for somebody to be a cheerleader.

I wouldn't read too much into this, if Paul's info is accurate. PLF was hired to be a figurehead and he wasn't smart enough to realize it. Most of us could have told him that. Whether it was right or not, that's the way it is. The natives were getting restless and Pegula figured if he brought in somebody that the entire city knew and adored, it might settle things down a bit. I like PLF and I wish he stayed, it might make a difference in bringing in new UFA's. But if Tim Murray does it right there shouldn't be a need for somebody to be a cheerleader.

Not for nothing but someone couldn't figure out a better result than this? How ###### dumb are they? This isn't rocket science. These are professionals working in a landscape they have worked in for decades. This seems like a good resolution?

Lalalalalalalalaaaaooooo f*ck it, it's all spilt milk at this point... Point some fingers, and let's make some more trades, that's what's really important.... We still have hockey guys up top for the current time, however we don't have hockey guys on the ice, where it really matters

That's difficult to believe when Patty claimed that Pegula offered him the GM position, but he turned it down because he felt he didn't have enough experience. The reports sure made it sound like PLF was given free reign to build the front office structure, but it seems that he didn't understand his own role in that organization.

Maybe, just maybe, PLF is allowing himself to fall on the sword BECAUSE of the Battista's and Sawyer's and whoever else comprises the "Inner Circle" - maybe PLF is trying to get these guys to embarrass Pegula so Pegula (finally) re-evaluates these people who whisper in his ear.

Maybe. Or not.

That's difficult to believe when Patty claimed that Pegula offered him the GM position, but he turned it down because he felt he didn't have enough experience. The reports sure made it sound like PLF was given free reign to build the front office structure, but it seems that he didn't understand his own role in that organization.

Yes, his job that he wanted was to hire the GM, let him know what they wanted to accomplish and then let him do his job, holding him accountable for what he did. Instead, PLF thinks he can avoid doing the day to day dirty work of the GM but still reap the benefits of all the personnel decisions...doesn't work that way...he didn't want the GM role, so that's on him

In the end there can only be one chief. One person who leads when there is disagreement in the room. Was that supposed to be PLF? Murray? Who is supposed to defer to who on matters of personnel?

I would think Murray gets the say and that PLF gets the say over Murray's job. If PLF wanted final say over the decisions of the people he hired to do certain jobs then this is on him.

Who are these "Pegula people" that Hamilton refers to in the interview, whom nobody crosses and survives?

One is from Pedophile State - . Joe Battista ran the hockey program at the college, and Pegula knew him because of Pegula's various charitable contributions to the university.

Ken Sawyer was a financial officer for the NHL, and was Pittsburgh Penguins former president and chief executive.

Guess those are the "inner circle" guys.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.