Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

Wow, this is HORRIBLE news. There wasn't a single word in the past few months that I recall about PLF being "temporary" - that's some sort of face-saving spin.

There was a post a few pages back about Buffalo sports taking one step forward and two steps back. This seems to epitomize that. Bet there's more shakeups and fallout.

Wow, this is HORRIBLE news. There wasn't a single word in the past few months that I recall about PLF being "temporary" - that's some sort of face-saving spin.

There was a post a few pages back about Buffalo sports taking one step forward and two steps back. This seems to epitomize that. Bet there's more shakeups and fallout.

It may not have been the original plan, but the org didn't know what they were going to be getting as a GM. Pat must have had some inkling when hiring Murray that he might have to step aside or else he wouldn't be.

I just hope it was Pat's decision.

I thought they were in the process of removing the interim tag and giving Nolan an extension.

I heard Murray's entire interview on 590 from Toronto yesterday. When they asked him about Nolan, he said something to the effect of an extension was in the works, negotiations are ongoing. He said it just isn't up to him if Nolan stays, that Nolan has his say in the ammount of contract $ negotiated. When they asked him about Nolan being a good coach for young players, Murray right away defended Nolan and said it isn't just his job, it is the entire organizations job and that Nolan would do a good job as a coach with young players.

Not the exact quotes, but I came away form the Interview that there was going to be something pending with an Extension for Nolan, just not until the details were finalized.

And you gotta figure Pat understands that and that is why he decided to resign. I think he probably expected to have a little more input into the team building process and Murray essentially told him that that wouldn't be happening, which basically leaves Pat with no real job.

By hiring Murray and Patrick he essentially made himself redundant.

if that is the case. there is two troubling things my mind jumps to. If Pat thought he would have more say in things after hiring TM and patrick it makes me question his decisions in the hirings. If the plan was this, why not say so in the begining. Until the details emerge on this I think this reflects poorly on patty.

Not surprised. Too many chiefs, somebody had to go. Black, Patrick, LaFontaine, Murray. That's just overkill. I just hope they don't trade Myers. Nolan can go. There's a reason he's been out of the league for so long. He's a good motivator but that's about it... His teams always give up a ton of shots, there are better coaches available. All hail Tim Murray.

Sacco is that you?

And you gotta figure Pat understands that and that is why he decided to resign. I think he probably expected to have a little more input into the team building process and Murray essentially told him that that wouldn't be happening, which basically leaves Pat with no real job.

By hiring Murray and Patrick he essentially made himself redundant.

I'm interested to see if Patrick stays on board as a result. I really don't think this is the end of the world though. Patty, being an HOFer with a keen player's perspective, may not have the stomach for the hard, emotionally detached decisions that often have to be made in pro sports. Fortunately, TM isn't bothered by those attachments. Just what we need, imo.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm interested to see if Patrick stays on board as a result. I really don't think this is the end of the world though. Patty, being an HOFer with a keen player's perspective, may not have the stomach for the hard, emotionally detached decisions that often have to be made in pro sports. Fortunately, TM isn't bothered by those attachments. Just what we need, imo.

GO SABRES!!!

Is that why he quit the Islanders also? You'd think he would know what the job entails before taking it...

What are the Sabres actually losing here? Lafontaine was a familiar face that made people feel good, hockey wise it's not a big loss.

Thank you. I agree.

The further fallout will be interesting and may tell us a lot. If Patrick stays or goes...an announcement about Nolan soon, even any further trades, at least will lead us to speculate on things. I gotto go watch some hockey for a while and get my mind of the Sabres. Dammit Time Warner, can we get Hockey Night in Canada in High Def already????

What are the Sabres actually losing here? Lafontaine was a familiar face that made people feel good, hockey wise it's not a big loss.

Agreed. I don't believe he was inherently doing anything after the Murray hiring. It was nice having his face in the management group though. Comforting...

Given the talk on the "Increasingly Substantiated" thread about a possible deal with Ottawa, as well as Murray's comments on WGR from Toronto yesterday, if they are accurate, then this seems like a resignation based on the trades Murray made/ will make rather than Nolan.

All in all, my initial reaction is PLF is behaving really poorly. I'd much rather Murray in there, unrestricted, than pamper to PLF's needs all the time

GO SABRES!!!

TM seems like he would ransom a family member if he could get another first round pick thrown in...ruthless but those are the people that build great teams because they see the players as commodities and when their production starts declining they replace them...Patriots have been doing it for years, as did the Eagles

Would you rather have had LaFontaine fire Murray? I want a GM who can get this team fixed. Not a president who is blindly loved by most Sabres fans. Murray has experience in personnel. LaFontaine has none.

No - my ideal would be to have a management team that is able to work together without petty squabbles. Patrick is as good as gone too, especially if he believes that Pat was wronged. So now we have a GM who has been said by many to be severely lacking in the people skills department. We've spent the past 3 months or so talking about how the culture shift has been fantastic. I think that this destroys that, and our culture is in the hands of Murray.

I also hate that we just hired this guy and have something this divisive this quickly. I think it speaks to us not planning well in the least. Let's assume the issue was over Ted Nolan. This really wasn't handled in the interview process? I just think that it makes the entire organization look pathetic.

Shat. I like Ted Nolan. I like Tim Murray. But GMs the boss so if Ted has to go he has to go.

I'm thinking PLF didn't intend to stay on much longer anyways if his job at league offices was waiting for him. Seems odd.

I would really like to see Ted Nolan get an honest shot though. 2 year contract with the kids would be fair.

I heard Murray's entire interview on 590 from Toronto yesterday. When they asked him about Nolan, he said something to the effect of an extension was in the works, negotiations are ongoing. He said it just isn't up to him if Nolan stays, that Nolan has his say in the ammount of contract $ negotiated. When they asked him about Nolan being a good coach for young players, Murray right away defended Nolan and said it isn't just his job, it is the entire organizations job and that Nolan would do a good job as a coach with young players.

Not the exact quotes, but I came away form the Interview that there was going to be something pending with an Extension for Nolan, just not until the details were finalized.

So Nolan makes an untalented team look good, there is some front office turmoil, a new GM comes in and offers Nolan a low paying contract. Nolan walks.

Déjà vu?

No - my ideal would be to have a management team that is able to work together without petty squabbles. Patrick is as good as gone too, especially if he believes that Pat was wronged. So now we have a GM who has been said by many to be severely lacking in the people skills department. We've spent the past 3 months or so talking about how the culture shift has been fantastic. I think that this destroys that, and our culture is in the hands of Murray.

I also hate that we just hired this guy and have something this divisive this quickly. I think it speaks to us not planning well in the least. Let's assume the issue was over Ted Nolan. This really wasn't handled in the interview process? I just think that it makes the entire organization look pathetic.

LaFontaine said at his hiring press conference that Nolan was coach for rest of the year only. When Murray was hired he said he was told that Nolan staying as coach was not a condition of his hiring. Did LaFontaine go back on his word? I also don't care if Murray doesn't have people skills. Neither did Bill Polian. I want a good GM

According to CBS sports, LaFontaine was very against trading miller, I don't know why they reported that, as Miller wanted to leave, there Is some truth hidden in all. Of this, but if we ever find out all the facts, I'll be amazed

If Murray tried to get Miller to sign an extension and he refused, why let him go for nothing at the end of the year. Perhaps PLF thought they could get him to change his mind after talking with him but TM didn't and thought he was valuable to help rebuild by adding picks and more trade ammo.

Miller brought some of this on himself by being so wishy washy about the whole thing, imho, at least in the media

TM seems like he would ransom a family member if he could get another first round pick thrown in...ruthless but those are the people that build great teams because they see the players as commodities and when their production starts declining they replace them...Patriots have been doing it for years, as did the Eagles

This. It's hard as a fan to deal with a situation like this but it's the best way to keep a team competitive

Well, we don't know if the squabble WAS petty. Nolan may very well end up leaving on his own accord, but it sure sounded like Murray was in his corner regarding working on an extension, his work with young players, etc. so I don't think Teddy was the core issue. I think it's about personnel moves and if Patty wasn't on board with them, it's anything BUT a petty squabble. Indeed, it's about the very rebuilding of the organization; a job Patty entrusted to the man he hired. Reflects very well on TM in that regard.

GO SABRES!!!

Well, we don't know if the squabble WAS petty. Nolan may very well end up leaving on his own accord, but it sure sounded like Murray was in his corner regarding working on an extension, his work with young players, etc. so I don't think Teddy was the core issue. I think it's about personnel moves and if Patty wasn't on board with them, it's anything BUT a petty squabble. Indeed, it's about the very rebuilding of the organization; a job Patty entrusted to the man he hired. Reflects very well on TM in that regard.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree, PLF hired the man to do a job, not be a puppet. If he is going to succeed or fail it should be his way, not some his and some he doesn't agree with.

LaFontaine said at his hiring press conference that Nolan was coach for rest of the year only. When Murray was hired he said he was told that Nolan staying as coach was not a condition of his hiring. Did LaFontaine go back on his word? I also don't care if Murray doesn't have people skills. Neither did Bill Polian. I want a good GM

I want both... a good GM with people skills and Nolan should be given a respectful contract, not the kitchen sink, but a respectful contract. If not it shows Sabres players what kind of guy Murray is and they should be afraid... Edited by Icehole

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.