[OT] Ringtones

Taro T

I've used REM's 'It's the end of the world (as we know it)' for several years as my wife's ringtone. Considering it is ( still more or less) Valentines Day, I am thinking about changing it. My initial thought is to go w/ South Central Rain ('Did you never call, I waited for your call') but just don't know. (Yes, I know the rest of the lyrics as well, that's kind of the point after 20+ years. ;) )

Anybody have a really cool ringtone for a particular person (or perhaps a really uncool ringtone for someone who deserves it)? Yes, if it's cool enough, I will steal it.

Aw man, when I saw you'd responded I was expecting some sort of cool thoroughbred theme.

I'm anti-ringtone. I'm waiting for the EMP to hit so people learn how to have actual intellectual and emotional conversation again.

I once would play "My Old Kentucky Home" at the barn through my phone for a certain horse in order to get him prepped and relaxed when he got to hear it in front of 150,000 people. It didn't work.

For your wife, I'd just go with "Taps".

Black Sabbath's, War Pigs live version. The lyrics on the ringtone,

Politicians hide themselves away

They only started the war

Why should they go out to the fight

They leave that role to the poor, yeah

My problem with ringtones is, I start listening to the song instead of answering the phone, oh well they'll call back.

Edited by kishoph

I used War Pigs as a ring tone for a long time.

right now my most frequent callers are individual ring tones. My wife's calls chime in with Jet, Cold Hard B!tch, which annoys her to no end (which was the point of course). I use Chickenfoot Who's Next, Black Country Communion, GnR Night Train, and a few others.

Edited by weave

I thought ringtones were kinda a thing of the past. So do the majority of posters still use them?

:huh: So you use the default sound your phone came with?

I've got a bit of the Sabre Dance as the general phone ring and the chorus of the REM song for when wifey calls. Don't really use a different sound for everyone/anyone in my contacts list.

:huh: So you use the default sound your phone came with?

I've got a bit of the Sabre Dance as the general phone ring and the chorus of the REM song for when wifey calls. Don't really use a different sound for everyone/anyone in my contacts list.

My phone has been on vibrate for as long as I can remember. Work is where I need it and a ringtone or anything else audible won't be in that environment. I usually want to smash people's phones when their "crazy bitch" ringtone goes off during meetings.

I set ringtones for a few people I talk to semi-regularly (immediate family, close friends, and the bf) and a default ringtone for everyone else. But my phone is on silent or vibrate when I'm at work because I hate those people who always seem surprised by their phone ringing loudly in public. For the current bf I've alternated between "The Way I Are" (Timbaland) and "Paralyzer" (Finger Eleven). If you have an android phone you can download Ringdroid for free and use it to make ringtones out of mp3 files you already have.

I'm really surprised more people DON'T use them. At work I have my phone on vibrate because anyone who really needs to reach me knows my work # if it's urgent, but at home I tend to set my phone down somewhere rather than keep it on me, so I'd miss calls if I only had it on vibrate. The ringtones are really just so I know if it's worth trying to grab the phone before it goes to voicemail or if I should ignore it, lol.

I'm really surprised more people DON'T use them. At work I have my phone on vibrate because anyone who really needs to reach me knows my work # if it's urgent, but at home I tend to set my phone down somewhere rather than keep it on me, so I'd miss calls if I only had it on vibrate. The ringtones are really just so I know if it's worth trying to grab the phone before it goes to voicemail or if I should ignore it, lol.

This is pretty much exactly my motivation for using ringtones.

My phone stays on vibrate 90% of the time or more because I always keep it in my pocket even if I'm bumming around in pajama pants at the house. My ringtone is Slayer's Raining Blood though, no matter who calls. I don't have separate ring tones for different people. It also rings for my secondary alarm clock.

I've had the same ringtones for years now. It's pretty rare that anyone calls me, so they're not really put into use much. I use the tool "Audacity" (on windows or Linux) to cut up MP3s, then upload them to my Android phone. there's a particular directory (that I can find if anyone needs it) on the phone that doesn't get scanned by the music player so you don't get snippets of songs in your shuffle.

Anyways:

General Ringtone: KMFDM - Megalomanic when the beat comes in, at 45s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhOTNQcQq4

Wifey ringtone: 7 seconds of Love - Flip out like a Ninja (there's a story there), at 22s when the verson

Drunk friend Chuk: 69 boyz - donkey. He used to get drunk and sing it, so he gets it.

I should really assign one for my parents, since that pretty much covers everyone I talk to on the phone.

I've had the same ringtones for years now. It's pretty rare that anyone calls me, so they're not really put into use much. I use the tool "Audacity" (on windows or Linux) to cut up MP3s, then upload them to my Android phone. there's a particular directory (that I can find if anyone needs it) on the phone that doesn't get scanned by the music player so you don't get snippets of songs in your shuffle.

Anyways:

General Ringtone: KMFDM - Megalomanic when the beat comes in, at 45s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhOTNQcQq4

Wifey ringtone: 7 seconds of Love - Flip out like a Ninja (there's a story there), at 22s when the verson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnzoqVxBqu4

Drunk friend Chuk: 69 boyz - donkey. He used to get drunk and sing it, so he gets it.

I should really assign one for my parents, since that pretty much covers everyone I talk to on the phone.

Cool.

Audacity is a great program. Started using it about a year ago when my desktop (that had come with some nice audio software) was having issues.

I used to fiddle around quite a bit with ringtones - occasionally personalizing tones for certain callers.

It's been years since I did that.

Like a few others upthread, my phone's on vibrate 90% of the time. When I do want to hear it as well, I just pick one of the pre-loaded tones that is made to sound like the ring of an old rotary phone from Bell or whatever (my OS came loaded with 3 such tones).

I used to fiddle around quite a bit with ringtones - occasionally personalizing tones for certain callers.

It's been years since I did that.

Same here, really. Most of the above I did before I had an Android phone (4+ years ago) and just keep moving them on each time I change phones. There was a awhile I had a bell-style too.

One thing I tried and couldn't find was a good puck-off-the-post sound to use for the notification sound. Anyone got a good sample?

My phone has been on vibrate since 2003. Ringtones infuriate me.

Yea, I think the last time I had my phone set to ring it was on accident, and when it went off walking around the mall I was wondering who the ###### was who wouldn't answer their phone. Naturally, it was me, since I had no clue what my ringtone was.

Yea, I think the last time I had my phone set to ring it was on accident, and when it went off walking around the mall I was wondering who the ###### was who wouldn't answer their phone. Naturally, it was me, since I had no clue what my ringtone was.

I see to miss a lot of calls and notifications if I do that. I don't feel the vibration and with where I keep my phone, I really wish I could. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.