[OT] How cold is it in your town this morning?

Weave

I don't believe I have experienced temps as cold as we've got this morning. -11 in the driveway according to the car temp display. Hit a cold spot on the commute that read -16. I've seen -15 on the display just a couple times over the years while driving in to work, but -16 is a new low I've seen. And this AM was the first time I've ever seen negative double digits for my entire commute.

It is freaking cold out there this morning.

0. I had to wait for the frost on the inside of the car to dissipate before driving to work.

Also, I think that weather.com is running out of capital letters and certain punctuation marks.

See: the Awesome Thread.

Weather.gov is your friend.

24 here outside of Raleigh...but a winter apocalypse is on the way. Expecting 1-3" today followed by potential damaging ice storm later today into tonight. I'm working from home already today because they closed my kids school in anticipation of the storm and if we get anything close to what they are predicting everything will be shut down tomorrow too.

Thanks, Good Luck to you as well. :thumbsup: Hoping to avoid ice and any potential power outage, although I'll have the generator ready just in case.

Power was out for me for only 36 hours last week from Wednesday to Thursday evening. Turns out what I though was a mostly decorative gas fireplace in my house managed to keep the house between 58 and 62 despite it being in the teens outside, score. I'm even more surprised that with the power out, the fireplace turned on with the switch; I'm guessing it has a little stored power in there or something. I didn't dare turn it off in case that was a one-time thing.

-18 in Bradford (in town, not airport) as an overnight low, and only -6 now. I say that grudgingly because, like snow in the city of Buffalo, we've earned a somewhat unfair reputation for being the coldest spot in the region. Normally we're right in line with a lot of places like Kane and Smethport, PA, and Wellsville, NY (think twin tiers). But for whatever reason, it was much colder here last night than almost every place else I checked. Clear skies, valley topography?

It was -2 when I left my apartment in west henrietta, and when I was done getting my oil changed in Victor, I walked into the sun and thought "damn, it's warming up quick!". Checked the temp gauge... -4. Oh.

Was a scorching 5 when I got to work in Pittsford.

-18 in Bradford (in town, not airport) as an overnight low, and only -6 now. I say that grudgingly because, like snow in the city of Buffalo, we've earned a somewhat unfair reputation for being the coldest spot in the region. Normally we're right in line with a lot of places like Kane and Smethport, PA, and Wellsville, NY (think twin tiers). But for whatever reason, it was much colder here last night than almost every place else I checked. Clear skies, valley topography?

A valley will do it. Cold air sinks so if you are in a low spot you'll be colder than the surrounding area.

Someone reported in to WBEN this AM that Wellsville saw -23. Day-umm.

A valley will do it. Cold air sinks so if you are in a low spot you'll be colder than the surrounding area.

This is one of the really cool (no pun intended) things about riding a motorcycle (when it's a little warmer). You be riding along in the evening and you'll dip into a little valley and it'll get noticeably cooler, and when you come back out it warms back up. It doesn't even have to be a big valley, just a little dip in the road.

Global warming, my ass.

83°

Most likely going to break another record today.

:P

Edit: and I don't know if you were joking or not, but this no more disproves global warming than the record hot temperatures in Australia, over 120 degrees for very long stretches, proves it.

Edited by Arcsabresfan41

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.