Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

Curling has got to be the best sport to be involved in for the Olympics. All these other sports, if you fall on a jump, trip on a routine, flinch your arm on the starting line.......... you're done. All that time, travel, money wasted because of one silly mistake. In curling, no matter how bad you are, you get to play no less than 10 matches at well over an hour a piece over the course of almost two weeks. You get a chance to take it all in, enjoy the Games, explore the city (what little Sochi has provided). Plus, no major injuries.

No major injuries!?!? You ever get a foot caught between 2 - 42 pound rocks? Bad things man, bad things! :P

But yeah, curling would be the sport besides hockey I'd be looking for every ticket I could get. Bobsled and ski jump would be fun to see once or twice, but I could easily spend 2 weeks catching every hockey game and curling match that didn't conflict. :thumbsup:

I was at good times in Olean tonight and they have 2 outdoor curling tracks... They have a giant leader board and a ton of teams competing for first place... It was quite the scene, I just stopped for a shock top and some bowling.... Ended up hanging with Jack Daniels girls, free t-shirts, shots and a very drunk me ;) plus I actually got to throw a stone tonight, it's not as easy as it looks

No major injuries!?!? You ever get a foot caught between 2 - 42 pound rocks? Bad things man, bad things! :P

But yeah, curling would be the sport besides hockey I'd be looking for every ticket I could get. Bobsled and ski jump would be fun to see once or twice, but I could easily spend 2 weeks catching every hockey game and curling match that didn't conflict. :thumbsup:

Hell yeah, that would be a perfect schedule. Only change I would make is to spend a day or two in the mountains.

According to the woman my local NBC station sent to Sochi, Paul "Stacey" lead the American effort against Slovakia and Zdeno "Charo" yesterday. So this is who they're sending to cover the Olympics, someone who can't even pronounce the name of a guy who has been with the local team for years. But hey, she can tell us what some random bobsledder has been saying on twitter.

But seriously, I always did think that the hall of fame needed to remove that pesky t and n from Peter's name.

According to the woman my local NBC station sent to Sochi, Paul "Stacey" lead the American effort against Slovakia and Zdeno "Charo" yesterday. So this is who they're sending to cover the Olympics, someone who can't even pronounce the name of a guy who has been with the local team for years. But hey, she can tell us what some random bobsledder has been saying on twitter.

But seriously, I always did think that the hall of fame needed to remove that pesky t and n from Peter's name.

Martin St. Lewis

Charo sure could shake those maracas, though.

What's up w/ your new avatar there?

Also, why are British people calling the Sweden-Switzerland game?

I really want to start watching Married with Children again. Don't read into it any more than that.

Have a bunch of them on DVD. Only problem is there was a spat between either Sinatra's estate or the song writer's (Cohen maybe?) estate over royalties so the opening credits have some random muzak.

Gore is the best mountain in NYS. Love Whiteface, but I'm a racer, so I dig the ice. Been to Windham twice for races and I loved it. Wouldn't mind going back but I just love Gore and Iceface so much. I've skied everything in Vermont and Killington(yeah yeah I know its over crowded) is my favorite. Stratton is great and so are Okemo and Mt. Snow. Pico is right across the street from Killington and its never crowded and very beginner friendly. Vermont rocks if you can get past the awful pizza and wings.

I love Killington and Stratton. Ever been to Tremblant (I know, I know, It's in Canada)

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

I love Killington and Stratton. Ever been to Tremblant (I know, I know, It's in Canada)

###### the french!!!!

I kid. Nope, never been to Whistler either. I've done all of VT, all of NY and not enough of Colorado and Utah.

###### the french!!!!

I kid. Nope, never been to Whistler either. I've done all of VT, all of NY and not enough of Colorado and Utah.

I know we're getting OT here, but I really want to go here.

http://www.lemassif.com/en/accueil#_promo_1

Taking the train from Quebec City would be pretty awesome.

I loved Vail and Beaver Creek out in CO. I need to get out there again. Hit up Utah a little as well.

Know where I prefer? I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen

You gotta go to CNBC, NBCS, and USA during the day to get live coverage.

No cable. It seems like there was a lot of stuff on broadcast in 2012, maybe the time difference has something to do with it.

I'm not a fan of Hunter. It feels like you're on a subway platform whan you're waiting for the lift (the accents and cigarette butts). If I was going to learn again I would just go to Holiday Valley, KB, or Bristol. I just wouldn't drive all that way to end up at Hunter.

Good to know. I hadn't heard from anyone else who'd been there, but the specials and relative proximity made it attractive. Only place outside of my area I've gone was Whiteface in Lake Placid a few years back. We liked it, but from what I've heard we were lucky that it had snowed recently because some of the locals called it Iceface.

I've been to Hunter once or twice, and I'll second that review. It's the place all the city folk go, so it's generally crowded. Windham is better. My favorite in the Catskills is Plattekill, though. It's a smaller place in terms of runs and lifts, but it's rarely crowded and there's enough to keep me busy. It's kind of "old school" though, with a basic lodge so it's not like the newer, fancy mountains. They do let you ski anywhere on the property though it you're into glades.

No cable. It seems like there was a lot of stuff on broadcast in 2012, maybe the time difference has something to do with it.

I thought it was just me, but I don't think so. Between the five channels, I haven't seen more than two channels airing Olympic coverage at the same time. I've also noticed that late at night they reply what they aired at early evening, not what they aired in the morning and afternoon when people might have been at work.

wow just watched US vs Russia curling and of course Shuster blew it AGAIN! i never watch curling except for the olympics but every time i do i watch this guy blow it for the team. SO frustrating to watch

His OWN THROWS are horrible. How is this man the best curler we have in our country?!

If I had to guess, it's that it's not as easy to do as many here would think, and he is going up against the best in the world,… in the Olympics.

Of course it's not as easy as it looks. But damn, our teams miss everything. EVERYTHING. It's not so easy to do that, either. The women let 7 stones in--that's SEVEN STONES IN, just in case caps were necessary, against GB.

I've curled. It's tough. But if this is the best our country can put forth, I again say that SS can put forth a better team in 2018.

Of course it's not as easy as it looks. But damn, our teams miss everything. EVERYTHING. It's not so easy to do that, either. The women let 7 stones in--that's SEVEN STONES IN, just in case caps were necessary, against GB.

I've curled. It's tough. But if this is the best our country can put forth, I again say that SS can put forth a better team in 2018.

We're going to need advanced stats.

I see Bode choked again in super combined. I know we're on pace for what the US normally does in terms of medals, but it really seems to me like we blow in these Olympics.

In skiing, it just isn't there this year. And NBC isn't showing much of it, which is really disappointing. I really like watching some of the traditional downhill stuff.

In skiing, it just isn't there this year. And NBC isn't showing much of it, which is really disappointing. I really like watching some of the traditional downhill stuff.

Oh, we always suck in skiing. Can't compete with hardly any of the European countries.

I meant more in general. The speed skating and figure skating being most disappointing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.