Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

I get really twitchy when people say figure skating shouldn't be in the Olympics. That ###### is hard. You have to have grace and stamina and devote pretty much your whole life to it. I've known several skaters who've made it to Nationals and Olympics. My mother was a skater, she knew Scott Hamilton. I've dabbled in it myself. Ice dancing.... well, you may have a point there. Still difficult, the footwork is a pain, but you're not flying through the air, spinning, and landing on one foot without twisting your ankle to hell. It's gymnastics on ice, with no padding. Try it sometime. Toepick....

The only thing I really hate about it is the costumes/judge corruption. There is a rule that a female cannot wear anything but a skirt. Probably so gentlemen can stare at their ###### and boost ratings. Several women did switch to wearing unitards and they quickly ruled it out.

Edited by Josie914

I get really twitchy when people say figure skating shouldn't be in the Olympics. That ###### is hard. You have to have grace and stamina and devote pretty much your whole life to it. I've known several skaters who've made it to Nationals and Olympics. My mother was a skater, she knew Scott Hamilton. I've dabbled in it myself. Ice dancing.... well, you may have a point there. Still difficult, the footwork is a pain, but you're not flying through the air, spinning, and landing on one foot without twisting your ankle to hell. It's gymnastics on ice, with no padding. Try it sometime. Toepick....

The only thing I really hate about it is the costumes/judge corruption. There is a rule that a female cannot wear anything but a skirt. Probably so gentlemen can stare at their ###### and boost ratings. Several women did switch to wearing unitards and they quickly ruled it out.

I don't mind it in the olympics. I still don't think it's a sport. There are plenty of things that are hard--even physically hard--that are not sports.

Edited by Eleven

To the extent that artistic interpretation is involved, figure skating may not conform to traditional sports, but you have to admit they are athletes who train and physically exert themselves in a bonafide competition. As to the ladies, the costumes embellish their grace and physique, and add to the enjoyment. I'm thankful I'm not a judge...I get to stare.

I don't mind it in the olympics. I still don't think it's a sport. There are plenty of things that are hard--even physically hard--that are not sports.

I'm fighting this one over on facebook and I'm ready to tear my hair out. Sport is a very broad definition. Chess is considered a sport. Sport is something that is competitive and provides entertainment while seeking to improve its method. It is not about quantitative vs qualitative success.

If I was in an Olympic city, I would rather have tickets to the figure skating than hockey.

What I don't consider a sport is short track speed skating. It's 80% luck.

Do what?? People skating fast, hard and taking whatever it takes to win is luck? Give me a break. You wouldn't have your consistent winners if it was luck.

I'm fighting this one over on facebook and I'm ready to tear my hair out. Sport is a very broad definition. Chess is considered a sport. Sport is something that is competitive and provides entertainment while seeking to improve its method. It is not about quantitative vs qualitative success.

Chess is not a sport, either.

Nor is ballet, although it is as physically and mentally demanding as figure skating. Same goes for brain surgery or playing the double bass.

Figure skating is an art form.

I have no problem with certain art forms being in the olympics.

Don't tear your hair out over here, too!

Edited by Eleven

Nor is ballet, although it is as physically and mentally demanding as figure skating. Same goes for brain surgery or playing the double bass.

By that standard, Olympic diving could be considered an art form and not a sport: all competitors dive from the same height, are on the board or platform solitarily, without a clock, and receive scores from judges based on execution and body position at entry to the water. There are technical aspects, but divers are largely judged on aesthetics. Edited by phil_soisson

The kid I was arguing with over on the book faces was telling me that singing is more of an olympic sport than figure skating. I am a terrible internet debater/arguer period, but I got into it with him. And nah, brain surgery doesn't fit that broad broad definition because I don't think it's generally intended to provide entertainment (though I find it fascinating to watch). Double bass actually would fit the argument better.

Whether it is or isn't is an ongoing debate that can be applied to many Olympic events, like snowboarding, as it's subjective analysis vs. a solid, visual/measurable goal. Some people believe it one way, I believe it another, and all the semantics of definitions and bumbling over my own words couldn't convince me (or others) otherwise. Art, speed, goals, times... I can't stand the presentation of beach volleyball, personally, but it's no less an athletic undertaking. Why it's an Olympic sport confuses me, butt... I just get hot under the collar when I see skating belittled as a somehow lesser undertaking.

I guess I better hold my tongue on that one at the ping pong finals in the summer games. :P

By that standard, Olympic diving could be considered an art form and not a sport: all competitors dive from the same height, are on the board or platform solitarily, without a clock, and receive scores from judges based on execution and body position at entry to the water. There are technical aspects, but divers are largely judged on aesthetics.

I agree completely on diving. Not a sport. Even though Derek Roy was really good at it. Artistry, not sport.

The kid I was arguing with over on the book faces was telling me that singing is more of an olympic sport than figure skating. I am a terrible internet debater/arguer period, but I got into it with him. And nah, brain surgery doesn't fit that broad broad definition because I don't think it's generally intended to provide entertainment (though I find it fascinating to watch). Double bass actually would fit the argument better.

Whether it is or isn't is an ongoing debate that can be applied to many Olympic events, like snowboarding, as it's subjective analysis vs. a solid, visual/measurable goal. Some people believe it one way, I believe it another, and all the semantics of definitions and bumbling over my own words couldn't convince me (or others) otherwise. Art, speed, goals, times... I can't stand the presentation of beach volleyball, personally, but it's no less an athletic undertaking. Why it's an Olympic sport confuses me, butt... I just get hot under the collar when I see skating belittled as a somehow lesser undertaking.

I guess I better hold my tongue on that one at the ping pong finals in the summer games. :P

I know so little about snowboarding, but if involves judges and scoring systems based upon artistry, no, not a sport.

Edited by Eleven

Women's snowboard slopestyle was pretty sweet. I forget which one landed it, but some chick threw a 1080 on the last jump, which is insane. Jamie Anderson threw down an amazing final run to win it, and really glad the Czech Republic rider was okay after a terrible crash. Pretty sure she's got a concussion after that one, but managed to ride off under her own power, which is always good to see.

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/02/09/olympic-snowboarder-splits-helmet-in-violent-slopestyle-crash/

Men's downhill skiing was pretty impressive, too, although I can't believe Bode Miller only finished 8th after killing it all week in training.

Edited by biodork

I know so little about snowboarding, but if involves judges and scoring systems based upon artistry, no, not a sport.

Snowboarding, at least the free-style stuff, is figure skating that guys can watch without being ashamed. :) Think about it: a person sails along, jumps and twists a bunch of times, and unless you're really into it, the jumps look mostly the same. Then they finish, and unless someone wipes out, some numbers pop up that can kinda be related to what you just watched. (and as a skier, I 100% understand how hard all the freestyle stuff is, I'm not belittling it at all, just that it's one of these subjective things that I can't really get excited about)

I like these definitions:

- Game/match: anything tracked by points or some other goal-based measurement system (curling, darts, hockey, etc.)

- Contest: anything that's primarily subjective (free style skiing, figure skating, etc.)

- Sports (I'd love a less-general term for this): activities that the winner is determined solely by time/distance/weight/speed (most of the skiing, speed skating, etc.)

To me the "real deal" is on the last category, but I don't begrudge anyone wanting to watch the other stuff.

Snowboarding, at least the free-style stuff, is figure skating that guys can watch without being ashamed. :) Think about it: a person sails along, jumps and twists a bunch of times, and unless you're really into it, the jumps look mostly the same. Then they finish, and unless someone wipes out, some numbers pop up that can kinda be related to what you just watched. (and as a skier, I 100% understand how hard all the freestyle stuff is, I'm not belittling it at all, just that it's one of these subjective things that I can't really get excited about)

I like these definitions:

- Game/match: anything tracked by points or some other goal-based measurement system (curling, darts, hockey, etc.)

- Contest: anything that's primarily subjective (free style skiing, figure skating, etc.)

- Sports (I'd love a less-general term for this): activities that the winner is determined solely by time/distance/weight/speed (most of the skiing, speed skating, etc.)

To me the "real deal" is on the last category, but I don't begrudge anyone wanting to watch the other stuff.

I'm the same on freestyle snowboarding, or skateboarding, or whatever, as I am with figure skating.

If it relies upon judges determining artistic merit, it's art and not sports.

Figure skating is the essence of the Olympics. The whole idea is to put aside all differences and conflicts, and come together every blue moon and get all sunshine and kittens. The artistry of the Olympics is probably 70% of it. What do people want to see? Opening ceremonies...gymnastics...figure skating...I like the pure true athletic competitions like the 100M and such, but if it wasn't for a fufu, UN, sunshine and kittens ideal, and more important, $$$$$ available, the whole thing would never happen.

I would take a ticket to the figure skating singles finals over a gold medal hockey game and day. Other than "Do you believe in miracles?"....much more relevant.

Women's snowboard slopestyle was pretty sweet. I forget which one landed it, but some chick threw a 1080 on the last jump, which is insane. Jamie Anderson threw down an amazing final run to win it, and really glad the Czech Republic rider was okay after a terrible crash. Pretty sure she's got a concussion after that one, but managed to ride off under her own power, which is always good to see.

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/02/09/olympic-snowboarder-splits-helmet-in-violent-slopestyle-crash/

Men's downhill skiing was pretty impressive, too, although I can't believe Bode Miller only finished 8th after killing it all week in training.

I however can believe that Bode Miller only finished 8th. Because he's always been a big fat choker! Hes a 5 event skier whose been in 3 Olympics and he never fails to underwhelm. He's probably praying to the god of drunken ski racers that he doesn't get shut out again like he did in Turin '06.

This is the reason my dogs name is Bodhi, after Swayze in Point Break, and not Bode....

Edited by ubkev

I however can believe that Bode Miller only finished 8th. Because he's always been a big fat choker! Hes a 5 event skier whose been in 3 Olympics and he never fails to underwhelm. He's probably praying to the god of drunken ski racers that he doesn't get shut out again like he did in Turino '06.

This is the reason my dogs name is Bodhi, after Swayze in Point Break, and not Bode....

He does always seem to choke in the olympics

I'm the same on freestyle snowboarding, or skateboarding, or whatever, as I am with figure skating.

If it relies upon judges determining artistic merit, it's art and not sports.

I don't think that's entirely fair, though... no denying that artistry / style / flair counts in all of those events, but there's also a huge technical aspect as far as level of difficulty for each jump / trick / etc attempted. So while it's not as clear-cut as a hockey score, it's not entirely subjective, either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.