Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

I posted this in the Things That Are Awesome thread, but maybe it belongs here:

Canada Fires Back At Russia’s Ban On Gay Propaganda With Hilarious Homoerotic Commercial

http://nextimpulsesp...c-commercial/#_

Its odd that in the opening ceremonies the speeches talked an awful lot about tolerance and acceptance of diversity etc. I don't recall the exact wording but tolerance was mentioned numerous times. Lip service I'm afraid. Then the athlete that lit the torch just happens to be the same chick that tweeted the picture a few years ago of President Obama and his wife while she held the banana in the frame.

Edited by bunomatic

Its odd that in the opening ceremonies the speeches talked an awful lot about tolerance and acceptance of diversity etc. I don't recall the exact wording but tolerance was mentioned numerous times. Lip service I'm afraid. Then the athlete that lit the torch just happens to be the same chick that tweeted the picture a few years ago of President Obama and his wife while she held the banana in the frame.

Yeah, I remember wondering if that wasn't the IOC Prez's way of getting in a little dig at Putin or a simply a plea to have people stop talking about it for now. And I couldn't help but think the upper back / shoulder portion of the torchbearers' uniforms were kind of rainbow colored.

I was pretty excited for the women's hockey game, as I have two daughters who play hockey. I turned the game on the DVR, sat down with my kids ( who were already reluctant to watch), herd Emerick and McGuire, and said F*** this. Thanks NBC for ruining women's hockey. I wonder how many times Pierre compared a 5'6 150 woman to a completely irrelavant NHL player. God I hope these clowns only do the US games for the men, then at least I can watch a couple of games without punching myself in the head.

I know I'm in the minority, but the biathlon might be one of my favorite events. It's just cool.

I understand it, but I don't get it. And calling it a sport.. well... Why don't they combine ice skating and horseshoes? Call it Skoes

I understand it, but I don't get it. And calling it a sport.. well... Why don't they combine ice skating and horseshoes? Call it Skoes

I just call it an Olympic event.

Big loop, shoot, for every miss, do a little loop. I gotta think that by the last shooting stage, the last thing you are going to want to do is hold your arms steady enough to hit that target. I don't know why, I just think it's cool, plus, it reminds me of For Your Eyes Only. Bond is always cool.

Holy crap, did anyone else see the crash on the ski jump?? I saw the video on the NBC Sports app and OMG it looked bad. Dude knew the jump was screwed when he took off and had no chance at landing it. The clip stops with them carrying him off the course in (or behind?) a blanket, and I can't find a single thing about it on Google... all the links are of an Austrian ski jumper who crashed back on Jan. 10th. I would think if he'd died they'd be making a big deal about it, but jeez I hope he's going to be okay.

Holy crap, did anyone else see the crash on the ski jump?? I saw the video on the NBC Sports app and OMG it looked bad. Dude knew the jump was screwed when he took off and had no chance at landing it. The clip stops with them carrying him off the course in (or behind?) a blanket, and I can't find a single thing about it on Google... all the links are of an Austrian ski jumper who crashed back on Jan. 10th. I would think if he'd died they'd be making a big deal about it, but jeez I hope he's going to be okay.

Not sure which crash you saw, because two guys crashed today. A slovak and a french ski jumper. In any case, both guys are fine. Slovak has a broken nose and french guy has torn his right knee ligaments.

I just call it an Olympic event.

Big loop, shoot, for every miss, do a little loop. I gotta think that by the last shooting stage, the last thing you are going to want to do is hold your arms steady enough to hit that target. I don't know why, I just think it's cool, plus, it reminds me of For Your Eyes Only. Bond is always cool.

I like it, too. It has its roots in military discipline; snipers on skis repelled Soviets in WWII. Like this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

I don't have a problem with it conceptually, just its placement in the Olympics and calling it a "sport".

I have a different opinion on what constitutes a sport. If people are competing and the way the winner is determned is by having a better time or more goals/points, it's a sport. If judges determine the winner, it's not a sport but a contest. Not everyone involved in sports are athletic (pool players, dart throwers), and some that participate in contests are (like figure skaters and freestyle snowboarders).

So, by my definition, skiing for best time with shooting skills added to the mix most definitely makes it a sport.

Edited by Campy

I have a different opinion on what constitutes a sport. If people are competing and the way the winner is determned is by having a better time or more goals/points, it's a sport. If judges determine the winner, it's not a sport but a contest. Not everyone involved in sports are athletic (pool players, dart throwers), and some that participate in contests are (like figure skaters and freestyle snowboarders).

So, by my definition, skiing for best time with shooting skills added to the mix most definitely makes it a sport.

Interesting...

So if they replaced skis with tubes and replaced the gun with say a sling shot that you had to hit a target with, you would be okay, call it a sport and allow it on the Olympic docket.

Figure skating observations: Kaetyln Osmond, the Canadian skater, sexy and sultry, came closest to twerking in her short routine, and it looked like she was wearing the nearest thing to a black thong under her outfit...just wow! That little Russian skater, Yulia, only fifteen years old, blew everyone else away in the ladies portion of the team competition. The American, Ashley Wagner is overrated, and lucky to be on the team after finishing out of the top three at the US finals in Boston. It's Sunday morning, and I'm wondering what the heck is that gold colored necklace that Johnny Weir, a commentator on NBC, is wearing around his neck?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.