Ruhwedel and Varone to Rochester; Omark waived

Hoss

I liked watching Omark play -- he was very nifty with the puck -- but he was undeniably unproductive.

I wish I felt like some time in the A would whip him into shape, but that hasn't worked for him in the past, so it doesn't seem likely now.

I can't quite put my finger on what his key flaw, although I did hear TN mention his play away from the puck and generally being too cute with it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Even without him.

But with him, I see (Amerk watchers can point out any errors)

Porter/Varone/Adam

Omark/Larsson/Tardif

Catenacci/Zigomanis/Armia

Roy/Sundher/Gillies

McNabb Pysyk

Ruhwedel Ristolainen

Bagnall/several young guys

Hackett

Lieuwen

With Moulson and Myers out, these guys could beat the Sabres.

I liked watching Omark play -- he was very nifty with the puck -- but he was undeniably unproductive.

I wish I felt like some time in the A would whip him into shape, but that hasn't worked for him in the past, so it doesn't seem likely now.

I can't quite put my finger on what his key flaw, although I did hear TN mention his play away from the puck and generally being too cute with it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

He might suffer from Maxim Disorder.

Think about this, though: He can't crack a lineup that has Ville Leino in it.

Even without him.

But with him, I see (Amerk watchers can point out any errors)

Porter/Varone/Adam

Omark/Larsson/Tardif

Catenacci/Zigomanis/Armia

Roy/Sundher/Gillies

McNabb Pysyk

Ruhwedel Ristolainen

Bagnall/several young guys

Hackett

Lieuwen

With Moulson and Myers out, these guys could beat the Sabres.

Leave Moulson and Myers in, but put Enroth in net.

Then let Miller play for the Amerks.

I'd love to watch that game.

There's an audio clip of Hamilton interviewing Omark from the past week at WGR, probably still in the archive. I think it's worth a listen.

Omark has talent, but the guy doesn't have what it takes to be in the NHL.

On the bright side, when he clears, how good do the Amerks look?

Linus (which I do think rhymes with penis) is a dime-a-dozen player. Skilled enough to produce points at a lower level, but not gritty enough to handle the physical demands of the NHL game where time and space are limited.

When I watch western conference games in particular, the puck battles behind the net turn into ###### wars. It seems the lightly skilled but gritty and determined wingers like Ellis are more effective in today's NHL than the highly skilled finesse guys like Omark... unless they have world-class skill, which unfortunately Omark does not.

He simply can't muster up that extra 10% of will/heart/focus to make an NHL play. He's like a lot of players the Sabres already have: lacking just enough in whatever to put him on another level, yet no matter how many times he's told how to fix it, he can't bring himself to execute the appropriate change(s) in his game.

A shame, too, because he has some skill with the puck.

Edited by sizzlemeister

He simply can't muster up that extra 10% of will/heart/focus to make an NHL play. He's like a lot of players the Sabres already have: lacking just enough in whatever to put him on another level, yet no matter how many times he's told how to fix it, he can't bring himself to execute the appropriate change(s) in his game.

A shame, too, because he has some skill with the puck.

Yeah, this is a really good analysis IMHO. I watch as many Preds games as Sabres games and a very noticeable difference between the two teams is all of the Preds forwards fight like rabid dogs for the puck around the net. It really is a thing of beauty to watch. I think Nolan is absolutely right in wanting more fight out of his forward group.

His issue seems to be that he has the skill, he knows it, and he doesn't think he needs to work hard because he can coast on that skill to get by like he has up to this point. It happens alot, while growing up, these kids get by and are at the top because of their tremendous talent and skill, it carries them through, but once they hit the upper levels where they aren't the big fish in the small pond anymore they don't seem to be able to grasp the idea that they will now need to work to stay where they are and get better, they feel they should be able to just do what they have been doing and get by on that. Plus with the foreign players, theres usually a league (like the KHL) that would gladly take them if they wanted to play there where they can fall back on if the NHL doesn't work out.

When I watch western conference games in particular, the puck battles behind the net turn into ###### wars. It seems the lightly skilled but gritty and determined wingers like Ellis are more effective in today's NHL than the highly skilled finesse guys like Omark... unless they have world-class skill, which unfortunately Omark does not.

As I read that, when you got the point of naming Ellis, my mind had already thought of Girgensons. Girgs isn't producing a lot of points, but dang is he effective with the puck. He's like Ennis, but not as cute and a lot harder to knock off the puck (although Ennis has improved a lot in that respect too).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.