Trade Deadline 2014

LGR4GM

Murray will have a spend around $25 million to the minimum cap next season of $52 million. The Sabres can sign a few veteran free agents to blend in with the young guys. The total transformation of the Sabres is complete.

I don't think that's right, cap geek has them at $37M with only 13 players signed going into next year. Only $15M under the projected floor.

http://capgeek.com/sabres

Edited by Lanny

That was never a realistic time frame. If you believed it could take on 2 or 3 years you underestimated the damage Regier had done. The stripping down is finally complete.

I saw what Philly (finals), Boston (one Cup) and Chicago (two Cups) did in three years. Two of those three teams were nearly naked, and the third (Boston) had made a horrible trade of their top center to SJ for nothing.

Murray has embarked on a longer-than-needed rebuild. Fine, as long as it works.

Edited by Eleven

Yahoo Sports declares the Sabres a deadline day winner.

http://sports.yahoo....GlkA1NNRTMzOF8x

Winner: Buffalo Sabres

Pat LaFontaine resigned abruptly as president of hockey operations over the weekend, apparently after a power struggle, making the Sabres look even more laughable than they were already. But LaFontaine hiredTim Murray as GM, and Murray is off to an excellent start.

Murray parted with pending unrestricted free agents Miller, Ott, Moulson and McCormick. He acquired Halak and flipped him. He claimed Cory Conacher on waivers and acquired Stewart, Mitchell, a prospect and multiple draft picks – a first-rounder, two second-rounders and a conditional third-rounder.

Former GM Darcy Regier already started the teardown and added prospects and picks. Now Murray has to take all those assets and start rebuilding the team, and with LaFontaine gone, he should have the full authority to do it.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I saw what Philly (finals), Boston (one Cup) and Chicago (two Cups) did in three years. Two of those three teams were nearly naked, and the third (Boston) had made a horrible trade of their top center to SJ for nothing.

Murray has embarked on a longer-than-needed rebuild. Fine, as long as it works.

I will give you one bit of hope....

Friedman says Moulson a real possibility to resign in Buffalo.

Callahan just forced NYR to trade him for 250K per year....what happens when a team 60 minutes from the parents offers him an extra $7 million?

Kesler is on the market. The Sabres have an abundance of picks available, and Vancouver is closer to selling than buying. Maybe it takes a 20014 1st (STL) and 2nd, a 2015 1st (Sabres option), and a few decent prospects.

Say Buffalo is getting Reinhart or Ekbald..which is pretty much the case.

Say Buffalo makes a run at Brodeur/Thomas/Halak/etc.

Your under the cap 2014 Buffalo Sabres could very well be...

Moulson-Kesler-Callahan

Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford

Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart

Lieno-Konopka-Flynn

Myers-Zadorov

Ehrhoff-Ekbald

Pysyk-Ristolainen

Thomas/Enroth

You're at least a coinflip for a playoff spot.....

Yahoo Sports declares the Sabres a deadline day winner.

http://sports.yahoo....GlkA1NNRTMzOF8x

Glad you posted that. As crap as this team has been some of the whining on here today is pissing me off. Let the gm do his job. If you don't like what he did fine. He did what he believes in and I'm fine with that. He is changing the type of players we normally ice and this is only part one. Draft day and FA will fill us in even more.

So here's Yahoo saying we won the day. We did! But some ###### just cant get over the Buffaloser mentality.

New GM, hired by Pat and man I love what I see from this guy after all these years of Darcy and his garbage. GMTM is not like Ron Rolston coming in. There's a guy I said I wanted fired after his first day on the job. You knew he was crap. I think we are going down the right road with TM.

###### stop the whining! This was a fun day for us.

Brawndo this is not directed at you.

I think the Ducks are getting away without criticism, but they deserve A LOT of criticism. Beyond the Islanders they were the absolute biggest losers. You were searching for a top six wingers as your roster stood coming into the deadline. THEN you trade away a top six winger without bringing another in? You're the number one team in the league and you make a dumb move like that? Brutal.

Callahan just forced NYR to trade him for 250K per year....what happens when a team 60 minutes from the parents offers him an extra $7 million?

Kesler is on the market. The Sabres have an abundance of picks available, and Vancouver is closer to selling than buying. Maybe it takes a 20014 1st (STL) and 2nd, a 2015 1st (Sabres option), and a few decent prospects.

Moulson-Kesler-Callahan

Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford

Lieno-Konopka-Flynn

Myers-Zadorov

Ehrhoff-Ekbald

Pysyk-Ristolainen

Thomas/Enroth

This isn't bad, but I think you can erase Thomas from the equation. GMTM likes Neuvirth and his potential, so I think the Enroth/Neuvirth tandem will stand next season.

I don't get people complaining about a 3rd for neuvirth or 2nds for two prospects. We have a ton of draft picks, and you complain that our gm uses some to get young players.....but only time will tell

I actually like all the moves he made. With the trade to LA I think Murray had Hudson on his radar and didn't mind giving up a couple of 2nds. No big deal it's not like we don't have enough already. Moulson gone for two more 2nd rounders. Decent move. Goalie who fell out of favor with the Caps and still only 25. Let's see if he can turn it around. Buffalo always manage to find solid goaltending. We have a lot of prospects with a lot more coming and I have a lot of faith in Murray to get guys he wants. The key is the Cup plus you don't think he is gonna want to show his family that he can build a winning squad. You better believe it.

This isn't bad, but I think you can erase Thomas from the equation. GMTM likes Neuvirth and his potential, so I think the Enroth/Neuvirth tandem will stand next season.

I'm fine with that. Buffalo always seems to find good goaltending

Moulson-Kesler-Callahan

Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford

Lieno-Konopka-Flynn

Myers-Zadorov

Ehrhoff-Ekbald

Pysyk-Ristolainen

Thomas/Enroth

I really hope you didn't expect anybody to take this post seriously. Kesler isn't waiving his NTC to come here. Moulson is gone. Callahan? The most likely of the bunch. That lineup still has one good line and a bunch of "meh."

Glad you posted that. As crap as this team has been some of the whining on here today is pissing me off. Let the gm do his job. If you don't like what he did fine. He did what he believes in and I'm fine with that. He is changing the type of players we normally ice and this is only part one. Draft day and FA will fill us in even more.

So here's Yahoo saying we won the day. We did! But some ###### just cant get over the Buffaloser mentality.

New GM, hired by Pat and man I love what I see from this guy after all these years of Darcy and his garbage. GMTM is not like Ron Rolston coming in. There's a guy I said I wanted fired after his first day on the job. You knew he was crap. I think we are going down the right road with TM.

###### stop the whining! This was a fun day for us.

Brawndo this is not directed at you.

Get over yourself.

So this should be an interesting draft and next year's as well. As much as I am impatient to win now. I understand this is a process. I like that Murray got all those draft picks and picked up prospects where he could while still being able to protect the young guys developing in minors.

I too was sorry to see McNabb go, especially because of his name, but as others have said there is a log jam of D and we all knew one might go. So come this draft Murray will need to earn his stripes again, but I think this is a good first start.

I hope the Sabres can mend fences with Nolan. Despite what that idiot on NBC, is name shall not be mentioned, says... Nolan can flat out coach imo.

So I hope the guys on the current team will make playoff bound teams uncomfortable going into the First Niagara Center. Have tickets to the April 10th game at MSG. Should be interesting to see this group play against the Strangers.

Which would put them exactly where they were for the last five or six seasons under DR. No thanks. No more smoke and mirrors roster building. Tank on.

The Young Bull/Old Bull Approach to the rebuild is the best course of action this franchise can take.

The Young Bull/Old Bull Approach to the rebuild is the best course of action this franchise can take.

I agree that you need some veterans sprinkled in to mentor the kids, just not enough veterans that they ruin our shot at elite talent in the 2015 draft. If we hadn't screwed up the tank last season and lost any hope of getting MacKinnon et al we'd likely be further along on the complete tank philosophy.

Get over yourself.

Stop the whining. Make them stop the whining and appreciate that we have a GM with an agenda. he's implementing. We will be so much better in the bigger picture.

Stop the whining. Make them stop the whining and appreciate that we have a GM with an agenda. he's implementing. We will be so much better in the bigger picture.

I doubt you read me whining. My sentiment still stands.

So this should be an interesting draft and next year's as well. As much as I am impatient to win now. I understand this is a process. I like that Murray got all those draft picks and picked up prospects where he could while still being able to protect the young guys developing in minors.

I too was sorry to see McNabb go, especially because of his name, but as others have said there is a log jam of D and we all knew one might go. So come this draft Murray will need to earn his stripes again, but I think this is a good first start.

I hope the Sabres can mend fences with Nolan. Despite what that idiot on NBC, is name shall not be mentioned, says... Nolan can flat out coach imo.

So I hope the guys on the current team will make playoff bound teams uncomfortable going into the First Niagara Center. Have tickets to the April 10th game at MSG. Should be interesting to see this group play against the Strangers.

Wait...... Braedon? Is that you?

Grading how each NHL team fared at the deadline

The trade deadline is over and done with, and now it’s time to breathe.

We won’t truly appreciate the ramifications of these deals until decades from now. It’s entirely possible the Vancouver Canucks will look back in 20 years and say they stole the deadline. It’s possible the New York Rangers will regret offing picks, or the St. Louis Blues will wish they had held onto Jaroslav Halak.

But for the time being, all we have are instant insights. So I give you my grades for trade deadline week. Remember this is for the week, not just for the day — I had to fit Ryan Miller’s move, since that was like a trade-deadline deal.

Remember, folks, ‘C’ is average. ‘A’ is very good.

Buffalo Sabres: Their on-ice product and front office may be a mess right now, but the Sabres did the trade deadline right. Ultimately, they got four picks and Torrey Mitchell for Thomas Vanek. They got two picks, Chris Stewart, Rusty Klesla and Michael Neuvirth for Ryan Miller and Steve Ott.

The Sabres will have at least 11 first and second-round draft picks over the next three years, plus, they picked up a top-six forward in Cory Conacher off waivers.

Now that is how you rebuild.

Grade: A.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.