Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

It was Kypreos, I believe. The comment was actually a really quick one he said without any emphasis. I do remember whoever it was saying "he won't accept a trade to Canada" and nothing further. Which is why I'm lead to believe he would've been smart and put only the Canadian teams that might trade for him on the list.

The NHL implemented its lottery because of tanking, as well.

As far as "are we okay with this?" I think it's split. Some posters/fans are, some aren't. There are some who don't know about McDavid and might be okay with it if they knew.

I definitely am. McDavid (and even Eichel) is a world class talent that you will not acquire if you don't get him through the draft. This team, this FRANCHISE, is dying for a player like that to take them to the promised land. It'd be smart to try to position yourself to get him. Obviously it's not a guarantee is being in last only gives you a 25% chance (but it does guarantee you one of McDavid or Eichel). And then other teams are likely to tank, too.

Yep, there will be more than just one or two teams full on tank mode next year.

Okay, get out your tin-foil hats, because I'm going to lay a doozy on y'all:

It's commonly known that the Sabres TV ratings, even when they're mediocre, are among the tops in the league. When the Sabres do well, their ratings shoot up, especially outside the market.

Pegula is building his hockey kingdom downtown and will certainly be one of the USA's premier hockey facilities when complete.

Pegula, finally, has figured out he had to assemble an all-star front office to manage his team, and, I think it's undeniable that he has done so.

The NHL being what it is, political and bureaucratic, what if, with all of the above elements coming together, what if the NHL decides to "help" the Sabres along? The Sabres now have a FO filled with individuals with political clout, and that clout combined could be quite persuasive. The TV numbers, the facilities and all the attention/money that will bring in. All of this might very well overwhelm the NHL to the point where they feel they "have" to help the Sabres along and, if the cards line up at the drafts, the first picks "just happen to fall their way"?

Anyone else think this is possible, let alone likely? To me, it depends on how truly political the NHL is internally, and if it's as political as I think it may be, then I can see something like this unfolding.

You would also have to believe that the draft drawing can be fixed, which I certainly do, AND that the NHL would do something like that, which I'm not certain of, unless, again, the politics are such that they would.

It's commonly known that the Sabres TV ratings, even when they're mediocre, are among the tops in the league. When the Sabres do well, their ratings shoot up, especially outside the market.

Pegula is building his hockey kingdom downtown and will certainly be one of the USA's premier hockey facilities when complete.

Pegula, finally, has figured out he had to assemble an all-star front office to manage his team, and, I think it's undeniable that he has done so.

The NHL being what it is, political and bureaucratic, what if, with all of the above elements coming together, what if the NHL decides to "help" the Sabres along? The Sabres now have a FO filled with individuals with political clout, and that clout combined could be quite persuasive. The TV numbers, the facilities and all the attention/money that will bring in. All of this might very well overwhelm the NHL to the point where they feel they "have" to help the Sabres along and, if the cards line up at the drafts, the first picks "just happen to fall their way"?

Anyone else think this is possible, let alone likely? To me, it depends on how truly political the NHL is internally, and if it's as political as I think it may be, then I can see something like this unfolding.

You would also have to believe that the draft drawing can be fixed, which I certainly do, AND that the NHL would do something like that, which I'm not certain of, unless, again, the politics are such that they would.

I think that if the league were up to something, it would be more apt to help a struggling market than a devoted one.

I think that if the league were up to something, it would be more apt to help a struggling market than a devoted one.

I agree with this. I do think that the stuff Sizzle is referencing happens, but I think they'd help Florida before us.

Not far fetched. Patrick Ewing to Knicks comes to mind.

That YouTube video is so undeniable. Such an embarrassment for that league.

In listening....it sounds like he pretty much says, you get guys with hockey sense and who think the game, who have character...you're going to get possession. Again..it's about finding the qualities that drive the numbers. Anyone can spit out a spreadsheet....can you find me the guys ahead of time so that I can tell you what will be on that spreadsheet?

I like Murray's frankness. He says point blank he is not full of bubbles and sunshine, but at least he can communicate that to people. Interesting take on what he wants on defense. Mobility #1.

So what you're saying is possession stats reliably measure these "intangibles". Otherwise, how would possession result from them? I declare victory :P

I also seriously question how reliably anybody can identify these factors before they produce results. I think a huge part of the reason the draft is such a crap shoot even for the best drafters is precisely because the "talent" for identifying these things is limited at best.

So what you're saying is possession stats reliably measure these "intangibles". Otherwise, how would possession result from them? I declare victory :P

I also seriously question how reliably anybody can identify these factors before they produce results. I think a huge part of the reason the draft is such a crap shoot even for the best drafters is precisely because the "talent" for identifying these things is limited at best.

Anything after about the top five picks in the draft is a crap shoot. Luckily we'll have a few picks in that range over the next two years. :w00t:

I want to believe.

Loved the little bits in Murray's radio show where he boiled the key ingredients in a player down to "hockey sense" and "hockey strong" — the former being the ability to recognize the right play, the latter being the ability to execute it, ether through speed, strength, skill or will.

I'm calling an immediate NFW on this.

And I'll point out that while the Sabres have great ratings in the WNY market, I don't think that's the case nationally -- so I don't think there is an incentive for the NHL to rig it.

Not with the way we've been playing. And the way the Isles have somehow turned things around.

It's going to be nearly impossible to get out of the top five this year (still 14 points from falling out of the top five). Then next year will be as bad or worse if Miller isn't around

Theories, theories, theories.. amusing.

Time to sit back, kick the feet up, and see how the first part of this ride goes.

No doubt move #1 will be highly scrutinized... I'm guessing to lessen the impact it might be Moves #1, #2, and #3 in close succession.

I'm calling an immediate NFW on this.

And I'll point out that while the Sabres have great ratings in the WNY market, I don't think that's the case nationally -- so I don't think there is an incentive for the NHL to rig it.

Actually they do well nationally in the ratings as well. I think they were second behind only Detroit in the last Winter Classic and they are consistently in the top 10 for the playoff ratings.. However, what some don't understand is that a high rating in Buffalo doesn't necessarily mean more people watched in Buffalo, just that a higher percentage did. The actual demographics and results are open to more analysis.

It's going to be nearly impossible to get out of the top five this year (still 14 points from falling out of the top five). Then next year will be as bad or worse if Miller isn't around

I'm not overly interested in picking 5th this year. I'd be ok with it next year but if we can pick top 3 in both drafts, then we're talking.

I'm not overly interested in picking 5th this year. I'd be ok with it next year but if we can pick top 3 in both drafts, then we're talking.

I know. I was just saying there's a very high chance we draft in the top five this year either way. And don't ignore this year's draft completely. If you're drafting in the top five then you're still nearly guaranteed a solid NHL player.

Next year it's a matter of being in the top two with McDavid and Eichel.

So do you think all the owners would be in on it too? That's where I stop. If I'm the owner in Ottawa or FL who's struggling, why would I want to help out TP? High tide? Not that high though.

But to entertain it...if Miller were to stay and US wins gold...the momentum will be sick.

Good stuff. Thanks.

I found his comments on Miller interesting. To paraphrase, he said that if Miller came to him and asked for a 5-year extension, he'd be open to it, but OTOH, if a bunch of goalies got hurt and drove up Miller's trade value, he'd be open to trading him -- overall, the expected return in trade will be a major factor in the decision.

Actually they do well nationally in the ratings as well. I think they were second behind only Detroit in the last Winter Classic and they are consistently in the top 10 for the playoff ratings.. However, what some don't understand is that a high rating in Buffalo doesn't necessarily mean more people watched in Buffalo, just that a higher percentage did. The actual demographics and results are open to more analysis.

Have I missed them being in the playoffs consistently?

(Sorry -- couldn't resist).

Worth noting that their last 2 playoff series were vs huge-market opponents in Boston and Philly.

I recall many times when TV ratings came out for playoffs in which the Sabres were not involved, that the highest TV ratings were the two teams involved, followed by Buffalo at #3. As tom webster pointed out though, this is percentage not highest headcount.

Yeah. We're a small market. Just because our rating %s are strong doesn't mean that the NHL will kowtow to us as some sort of massive revenue engine.

It may well be tat corporate HQ would be happier with a somewhat anemic share in a major market than it would be with a robust share in a small market. My guess: Even if the gross #s of viewers are the same, advertisers will generally be happier to hear that 350,000 people in greater NYC saw a game as opposed to 350,000 people in WNY.

Judging from Murray on Howard Simon, it sounds like he recognizes that next year's draft is the better draft. He's confident that our high pick will net us a good player this year, but notes that the quality drops off much faster than a good draft would, to the point where he's more concerned about the value of 3rd and 4th rounds. At one point, in the context of draft picks and suffering, he stumbles over his words a little, admitting that he's looking for improvement but not lacking a high pick next year, struggling to not shout out "###### yeah, we're tanking next year too!"

Edited by IKnowPhysics

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.