Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

thanks! any very interesting that they vocalized a trade and resign option. i really feel like moulson and ott could possibly go the exact same route. it would be cool to sign them all to one year deals for the next three years and constantly ship them out at the deadline for goodies, then resign the next summer! hahahah. of course it will never happen but it would be cool if it did.

It's generally accepted that once you trade a UFA at the deadline for picks/prospects, the likelihood of that player signing with their former team in the offseason is next to zero. I can't even think of one instance (i'm sure there are some) where the player was traded and then returned to the trading team next year.

Totally my spin:

Miller has not given them a definitive answer, which they are interpreting as he's unlikely to re-sign before the deadline.

They are going to find a trade they are comfortable with, with a team that is a contender (do right by Ryan).

They will offer him a good deal to sign. If he doesn't accept, they will make the trade.

They will also look hard at re-signing him in July.

Pat wants Tim to remove the interim tag. Tim likes Ted, but not ready to remove the tag — he's letting that play out while he works on other priorities.

A perfect situation for the tank. Trade Miller for valuable assets at the deadline with a handshake agreement that he will give us the opportunity to sign him in July. I'd prefer not to have Miller around for the last stretch of the season to potentially hinder or ruin the tank.

Again, PLF is smooth. They did not come out and say any of this directly.

It is my reading between the lines. You guys may have a different take.

I heard nothing to indicate Miller would be likely to sign here in July, only that there would be an opportunity.

Keith Tkachuk apparently resigned with the Blues after being traded as a rental.

Edited by dudacek

Again, PLF is smooth. They did not come out and say any of this directly.

It is my reading between the lines. You guys may have a different take.

I heard nothing to indicate Miller would be likely to sign here in July, only that there would be an opportunity.

Keith Tkachuk apparently resigned with the Blues after being traded as a rental.

Now that you mention it I remember the Tkachuk signing was toward the end of his career and was because he wanted to end his career with the Blues.

In terms of Miller, safely considered a top 10 goalie, I think it is far less likely for a top player to return to a team that traded them, essentially indicating that you are worth more as a package of picks/players than the remaining 30 something games of your service. Star players have enough of an ego to not come back to a team that trades them mid-season.

Now that you mention it I remember the Tkachuk signing was toward the end of his career and was because he wanted to end his career with the Blues.

In terms of Miller, safely considered a top 10 goalie, I think it is far less likely for a top player to return to a team that traded them, essentially indicating that you are worth more as a package of picks/players than the remaining 30 something games of your service. Star players have enough of an ego to not come back to a team that trades them mid-season.

But in Millers case, same as Tkachuk, it wasn't that the team actually wanted to get rid of them, the player wanted to leave for a chance at a cup so the team gave them that chance. Its not the same as say the Sabres dumping a player because they were underachieving like say Bernier, or Boyes, or some others that have been dropped or traded because the team gave up on them even though they wanted to stay.

I think there is a good chance Miller is torn between loyalty to the franchise and the Pegulas and his intense desire to win a cup.

I think the implication/hope is that if the Sabres do him a favour by trading him to a place where he has a chance to win the cup, he may come back to Buffalo to finish out his career. They reward him, he rewards them, everybody happy.

Not likely, but there it is.

Edited by dudacek

But in Millers case, same as Tkachuk, it wasn't that the team actually wanted to get rid of them, the player wanted to leave for a chance at a cup so the team gave them that chance. Its not the same as say the Sabres dumping a player because they were underachieving like say Bernier, or Boyes, or some others that have been dropped or traded because the team gave up on them even though they wanted to stay.

Okay I can get behind that logic a little bit, since Miller has been a lifetime Sabre and probably has some desire to see the team succeed. However, I still think he goes elsewhere since from his perspective the potential success of the Sabres is still 2-3 years away at least and he isn't getting any younger.

If at the end of your career you could have had a shot at a championship, you wouldn't regret that after choosing to languish with your original team under some sort of loyalty? Retired players talk about not winning championships all the time, just listen to Charles Barkley yap on TNT broadcasts...

Okay I can get behind that logic a little bit, since Miller has been a lifetime Sabre and probably has some desire to see the team succeed. However, I still think he goes elsewhere since from his perspective the potential success of the Sabres is still 2-3 years away at least and he isn't getting any younger.

If at the end of your career you could have had a shot at a championship, you wouldn't regret that after choosing to languish with your original team under some sort of loyalty? Retired players talk about not winning championships all the time, just listen to Charles Barkley yap on TNT broadcasts...

Thats what the issue seems to be with his thinking right now, He wants the team to show him that the rebuild isn't going to last a few seasons, and that they are trying to turn things around now. If they plan on doing it all through the draft and live through some lean years in hopes that they win the lotto with some picks, he is gone. If they use the surpluss of picks and prospects to get guys that help them get better know, he would consider re-signing.

As for Charles, while I agree that many former players wish they had more chances (or a chance) at winning it all and regret it when they get older, he is just hard to take seriously, he sounds like he played football his entire career without a helmet instead of basketball

Thats what the issue seems to be with his thinking right now, He wants the team to show him that the rebuild isn't going to last a few seasons, and that they are trying to turn things around now. If they plan on doing it all through the draft and live through some lean years in hopes that they win the lotto with some picks, he is gone. If they use the surpluss of picks and prospects to get guys that help them get better know, he would consider re-signing.

As for Charles, while I agree that many former players wish they had more chances (or a chance) at winning it all and regret it when they get older, he is just hard to take seriously, he sounds like he played football his entire career without a helmet instead of basketball

Based on the roster now I would be amazed if this team was competitive in 2-3 years. It would take a ton of deals from TM as well as mostly all of our prospects hitting their ceilings quickly. To me that's asking for a lot of dominoes falling into place and Miller won't be convinced of that.

I totally agree on Barkley, he was just the most prominent former player I could think of. T R B L Turrble

if I was Miller, I wouldn't give them a definitive answer yet either.

Show me that your trying to improve the team now, and not hoping for the future and I would consider re-signing. Take the slow 3-5 year rebuild approach and I would be gone. Use some of these accumulated assets (picks and prospects) to turn them into guys that can help speed things up now and I would consider re-signing.

Taking the 'Tank' approach to rebuilding is like trying to rebuild your finances with lottery tickets. You might hit it big and win a jackpot (Pittsburgh) or more then likely your gonna continue chasing the next jackpot with more tickets (Oilers, Islanders)

Completely disagree. I know you're being facetious but there are far more examples of teams landing stars at the top of the draft (and it helping result in a cup) than just the Penguins. Odds of a real lottery are like what, 1 in 80 million. It's not comparable.

I think there is a good chance Miller is torn between loyalty to the franchise and the Pegulas and his intense desire to win a cup.

I think the implication/hope is that if the Sabres do him a favour by trading him to a place where he has a chance to win the cup, he may come back to Buffalo to finish out his career. They reward him, he rewards them, everybody happy.

Not likely, but there it is.

If we trade Miller and he wins the cup this year - I could see him resigning with us

If we trade Miller and he wins a cup sometime in the future - I don't think he resigns as the Sabres will have moved on (hopefully) so he wouldn't really fit

Completely disagree. I know you're being facetious but there are far more examples of teams landing stars at the top of the draft (and it helping result in a cup) than just the Penguins. Odds of a real lottery are like what, 1 in 80 million. It's not comparable.

It's more like if you get one of the top 2 picks, then you get a future elite player (with a few landmines in there).

The issue and risk is playing poorly enough to land in the bottom and then not losing the draft lottery and falling outside the 'elite player' cutoff.

It's more like if you get one of the top 2 picks, then you get a future elite player (with a few landmines in there).

The issue and risk is playing poorly enough to land in the bottom and then not losing the draft lottery and falling outside the 'elite player' cutoff.

This year that looks to be roughly after pick 4... maybe 5

I'm convinced that Miller ends up in Anaheim next year. Where he ends up this year is anyone's guess.

I like Murray's statements. Some of it just seems like pure common sense and but the fact that he lays it out there is a positive. You'd think that almost all GM's are going to operate the same way.

I'm convinced that Miller ends up in Anaheim next year. Where he ends up this year is anyone's guess.

I like Murray's statements. Some of it just seems like pure common sense and but the fact that he lays it out there is a positive. You'd think that almost all GM's are going to operate the same way.

Why Anaheim?

Actually, I don't even think you can say that about the Penguins either. They did win the lottery by getting Crosby, who appears to be in the same category as Gretzky. But they also spent many years drafting near the top to get Malkin, Staal and Fleury, but without Crosby, I still think they are not favorites for a cup if they didn't land him. Chicago spent alot of time at the bottom also and ended up getting Toews and Kane eventually, and with some additional moves were able to win a couple cups. What both of the teams appear to have had in common that put them in a position to draft highly for many years was bad ownership that kept them from spending and bringing in good players. Pittsburgh was fighting to keep their team in pittsburgh and Bankruptcy until they hit the Crosby Jackpot, and the 'Hawks needed their old owner to die and get passed on to someone willing to spend.

Theres alot more Oilers and Islanders (teams drafting for many years at the top of the draft and fighting to just be a playoff team) then there are teams that drafted a superstar in the top spot of the draft and turned things around.

If Miller doesn't sign on the dotted line before the trade freeze then trade him. Nothing other than a 100% yes, he's resigning means he has to go. And the only way I see him resigning is if he wins the cup this season.

You don't have to worry about that. Black said it again today. Worst case scenario is letting any expiring contract walk for nothing.

I think, perhaps, the Miller "situation" will be dictated, in part, by what happens in Sochi. If Miller wins a gold, not only does his value go up, but he also wins a championship. Maybe for Miller, a gold in the Olympics would be enough for him to stick around Buffalo and shoot for a Cup with the team he is loyal to. He also earns a nice contract.

If he doesn't win a gold, then he may want to wind up on a contender and get his championship that way. He may be willing to accept less of a contract to ensure he gets placed on a contending team.

Edited by sizzlemeister

Ron might be a hot AHL candidate this offseason. Wonder what that's about.

He also might be scouting for the Sabres since he is still being paid by them.

I think, perhaps, the Miller "situation" will be dictated, in part, by what happens in Sochi. If Miller wins a gold, not only does his value go up, but he also wins a championship. Maybe for Miller, a gold in the Olympics would be enough for him to stick around Buffalo and shoot for a Cup with the team he is loyal to. He also earns a nice contract.

If he doesn't win a gold, then he may want to wind up on a contender and get his championship that way. He may be willing to accept less of a contract to ensure he gets placed on a contending team.

I was thinking along these lines also till about two days ago. I believe that the Sabres really wanted to sign Miller to a new deal and were prepared to offer him King Henrik money but have come to the conclusion that that won't happen. Further, I believe they have decided that it will look worse if they traded him if he comes home a USA hero and therefore will trade him in the next two weeks, perhaps as early as next week.

Edited by tom webster

I will not tolerate this Barkley bashing! He's the best sports commentator/analyst on TV outside of maybe Collinsworth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.