GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 2-25-14 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

Kind of?

Ok. Major tool. Especially after the nonsense he put out last night in the post game show..

Could this have been the last game for Ryan Miller as a Buffalo Sabre? He's been a great, great player here for many years and probably the best....well some will say Hasek is the best goalie in Sabres history, but there are many who will say it's Ryan Miller...

Ok. Major tool. Especially after the nonsense he put out last night in the post game show..

Could this have been the last game for Ryan Miller as a Buffalo Sabre? He's been a great, great player here for many years and probably the best....well some will say Hasek is the best goalie in Sabres history, but there are many who will say it's Ryan Miller...

There is no one who would say that. Not him, not his wife, not his mother. What a completely stupid comment.

Wait, who what? Koziol said that? What a pod.

That A-10 footage is awesome. What a devastating weapon of war - if a person, or group of persons, or a car, truck, tank, is the ground target of an A-10, unless there's a fortified bunker or cave to hide in, it's pretty much all over for them. I kind of think of it as the spiritual successor to the P-47 Thunderbolts of WW2 with their 8 - 50 caliber wing guns.

Those 50 cals could chop up steam locomotives.

I kind of think of it as the spiritual successor to the P-47 Thunderbolts of WW2 with their 8 - 50 caliber wing guns.

Those 50 cals could chop up steam locomotives.

It's not a coincidence the A-10s were labeled the Thunderbolt II. The mission is very, very similar. And such a simple design premise. Take the biggest gatling gun that can fly, attach eight Maverick missiles, put tank armor on the bottom of it, give it double-redundant flight systems, design it to fly with one engine, one tail, one elevator, and half a wing missing, and you end up with a nearly-unkillable flying monster that destroys everything it looks at.

It's not a coincidence the A-10s were labeled the Thunderbolt II. The mission is very, very similar. And such a simple design premise. Take the biggest gatling gun that can fly, attach eight Maverick missiles, put tank armor on the bottom of it, give it double-redundant flight systems, design it to fly with one engine, one tail, one elevator, and half a wing missing, and you end up with a nearly-unkillable flying monster that destroys everything it looks at.

What is the Warthog's flight record? I feel like I heard almost 0 of them were ever downed in actual combat.

What is the Warthog's flight record? I feel like I heard almost 0 of them were ever downed in actual combat.

Not zero, from the wikipedia page: "Four A-10s were shot down during the war, all by surface-to-air missiles. Another three battle-damaged A-10s and OA-10As returned to base but were written off, some sustaining additional damage in crashed landings.[" And another in Iraq later, maybe 5 shot down total? It's tough to tell how accurate the wiki information would be.

Wait, who what? Koziol said that? What a pod.

I read that as the Carolina guy said it.

There's no way it was anyone local. Had to be the Carolina guy or some NBC guy or something.

Yes, it was Tripp Tracy the Canes TV color commentator. As a former goaltender he should know better..

http://hurricanes.nh...ge.htm?id=45362

From here:

Desert Storm:

4 downed, all by SAMs. 3 captured and released. 1 pilot killed, body was recovered.

Iraqi Freedom:

1 downed, by SAM, pilot survived, recovered by friendlies.

So from 716 aircraft built, over 42 years of service, only five have been shot down, with only one casualty, and it took missiles to do it- no flak, AA-gun fire, or small arms fire. And three of those missiles, by the way, were the Russian-built mobile platform we're-not-######-around-surface-to-air-missiles.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

From here:

Desert Storm:

4 downed, all by SAMs. 3 captured and released. 1 pilot killed, body was recovered.

Iraqi Freedom:

So from 716 aircraft built, over 42 years of service, only five have been shot down, with only one casualty, and it took missiles to do it- no flak, AA-gun fire, or small arms fire. And three of those missiles, by the way, were the Russian-built mobile platform we're-not-######-around-surface-to-air-missiles.

good number :ph34r: :flirt:

From here:

Desert Storm:

Iraqi Freedom:

So basically it is one hell of a badass aircraft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.