GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 2-25-14 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

So they can build another plane that's more "survivable"? Good luck with that. It doesn't get much better than the Warthog.... in all those combat missions, 5 downed, and one pilot killed. And those planes went on some hairy missions, flying low altitude support for ground combat operations. These aren't like B-2 bombers flying miles up in the air with stealth technology.

I could see a new version of the Warthog, but the basic concept is brilliant - a heavily armored ground-support plane that's nearly impossible to shoot down, that protects the pilot superbly, and packs firepower that no vehicle can withstand. Why would the Air Force want to diverge from that?

Edited by Jsixspd

So they can build another plane that's more "survivable"? Good luck with that. It doesn't get much better than the Warthog.... in all those combat missions, 5 downed, and one pilot killed. And those planes went on some hairy missions, flying low altitude support for ground combat operations. These aren't like B-2 bombers flying miles up in the air with stealth technology.

I could see a new version of the Warthog, but the basic concept is brilliant - a heavily armored ground-support plane that's nearly impossible to shoot down, that protects the pilot superbly, and packs firepower that no vehicle can withstand. Why would the Air Force want to diverge from that?

It only has one role, and that's it. With budgets being what they are, there's a lot of pressure to move to multi-role aircraft. It makes some sense, I'm sure everyone would love to have a sports car for fun, an economy car for long trips, a pickup for hauling, and a big sedan for everything else, but most of us pick a car that's in the middle of all those things and live with the compromise.

My biggest issue with getting rid of it is that you lose a lot of badass factor. Sure, any replacement would probably do the job just fine, but it wouldn't do the job the same way the Warthog does. There's some flair to the Warthog that makes it so good.

My biggest issue with getting rid of it is that you lose a lot of badass factor. Sure, any replacement would probably do the job just fine, but it wouldn't do the job the same way the Warthog does. There's some flair to the Warthog that makes it so good.

I was on a hiking trip 6 or 7 years ago in the Adirondacks in the wilderness on state land, 10 miles from the nearest town or village, and a Warthog blew by overhead at low altitude, running maneuvers from Fort Drum I assume - going full tilt. It came low over a hilltop - there was no noise in advance or warning - just a sudden roar and it blasted by a few hundred feet overhead. We were out in the open in a field too - If we were the target, he probably could have slowed, turned and attacked in fewer seconds than it takes to type it. I told a friend - anyone that plane is hunting would be SO screwed! One second it's not there - then it appears, ready to kill. They are just awesome!

Edited by Jsixspd

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres lines:

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Ott-Hodgson-D'Agostini

Flynn-Girgensons-Foligno

Leino-McCormick-Ellis

#Sabres D pairings:

Ehrhoff-Sulzer

Weber-Myers

Scott-McBain

Yeesh, the Sabres just won with this line up :lol:

fringe 1st liner #26 - #1.5 lines too high #63 - 2 lines too high #21

1 line too high #9 - good 2nd liner #19 - 2 lines too high #27

fringe third liner #65 - good 3rd liner #28 - good 3rd liner #82

Heathen - 4th liner #8 - fringe 4th liner

good 2/3 d #10 - fringe 7th d #52

fringe 6th d #6 - Unicorn #57

What #32 - fringe 6th #whoknowsmcbainsnumber

I was generous to McBain and Flynn for no real reason...

Are they going to have to put Koziol on suicide watch when Miller gets traded?

Serious question: you seemingly bitch about Koziol and Hamilton during/after every single game...why do you listen to the postgame then? You can easily get Nolan's presser and player interviews after the fact, and avoid all the commentary that appears to drive you nuts.

Serious question: you seemingly bitch about Koziol and Hamilton during/after every single game...why do you listen to the postgame then? You can easily get Nolan's presser and player interviews after the fact, and avoid all the commentary that appears to drive you nuts.

Really?

If I've criticized Hamilton or Koziol in seven GDT's over the last two years it's a lot. And that wasn't even a bitch, it was a sarcastic jab at Koziol because he is Miller's biggest cheerleader. For the most part I like Koziol. He's read a couple of my Tweets on the air and he replies with his own opinon to Emails that he doesn't read on the air. I like that, says a lot about his efforts to interact with fans.

Although I do find it interesting that of all the incessant, monotonous, broken record talking points that some people are relentless about, that you need to call me out for being repetitive.

Hamilton offers his commentray after every single game. It's meant to be criticized or complimented. I don't address him often any more, if you don't like that I bring him up I suggest you ignore my posts. For the record, if the Sabres have a bad game and/or some of Hamilton's typical whipping boys didn't play well, I do turn off the post-game before he gets on.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Really?

If I've criticized Hamilton or Koziol in seven GDT's over the last two years it's a lot. And that wasn't even a bitch, it was a sarcastic jab at Koziol because he is Miller's biggest cheerleader. For the most part I like Koziol. He's read a couple of my Tweets on the air and he replies with his own opinon to Emails that he doesn't read on the air. I like that, says a lot about his efforts to interact with fans.

Although I do find it interesting that of all the incessant, monotonous, broken record talking points that some people are relentless about, that you need to call me out for being repetitive.

Hamilton offers his commentray after every single game. It's meant to be criticized or complimented. I don't address him often any more, if you don't like that I bring him up I suggest you ignore my posts. For the record, if the Sabres have a bad game and/or some of Hamilton's typical whipping boys didn't play well, I do turn off the post-game before he gets on.

You definitely misinterpreted what I was getting at--I wasn't complaining about your repetitiveness. Rather, I was legitimately asking why you continue to expose yourself to Koziol and Hamilton when they get under your skin so much. It was a question on your listening behavior, not your posting behavior.

But if you really want to get into it, I have a hard time believing you're a fan of Koziol's since in the past year you've ripped him for asking questions in a way to throw people under the bus, said you've lost respect for him, and asked if he and Hamilton could be placed on waivers. Heck, in one of them, you even said you don't listen anymore except for the occasional pregame ;)

Edited by TrueBluePhD

You definitely misinterpreted what I was getting at--I wasn't complaining about your repetitiveness. Rather, I was legitimately asking why you continue to expose yourself to Koziol and Hamilton when they get under your skin so much. It was a question on your listening behavior, not your posting behavior.

But if you really want to get into it, I have a hard time believing you're a fan of Koziol's since in the past year you've ripped him for asking questions in a way to throw people under the bus, said you've lost respect for him, and asked if he and Hamilton could be placed on waivers. Heck, in one of them, you even said you don't listen anymore except for the occasional pregame ;)

I don't like the way Koziol tends to throw some players under the bus. Actually it's not so much throwing players under the bus as much as some of his double standards. He'll routinely criticize his whipping boys and turn right around and disagree with callers when they use the same standard against one of Koziol's favorites. He has his opinions about the team, the management and the players. That's fine, nobody agrees on everything. But he does act in a professional manner and interacts with fans even if it is off the air. The reason I don't like him and Hamilton as a pair is because Koziol kisses his ass to no end.

Hamilton on the other hand I have no respect for. Over the last couple of years he has taken the shock route of Sullivan and Harrington. Although not quite to their extent, it is much more than it used to be. As the guy that interacts with the players personally every single day he sure does have a knack of stabbing them in the back when on the air. Back in the day when the few reporters that had access to accompanying the players all over, they were friends and treated them with respect. If anybody often wonders why some players aren't as candid with Hamilton, it might have something to do with the way he treats them. I wouldn't tell him anything either if he scolded me like a dad after a bad game.

I hope that answers your questions, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. ;)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I don't like the way Koziol tends to throw some players under the bus. Actually it's not so much throwing players under the bus as much as some of his double standards. He'll routinely criticize his whipping boys and turn right around and disagree with callers when they use the same standard against one of Koziol's favorites. He has his opinions about the team, the management and the players. That's fine, nobody agrees on everything. But he does act in a professional manner and interacts with fans even if it is off the air. The reason I don't like him and Hamilton as a pair is because Koziol kisses his ass to no end.

Hamilton on the other hand I have no respect for. Over the last couple of years he has taken the shock route of Sullivan and Harrington. Although not quite to their extent, it is much more than it used to be. As the guy that interacts with the players personally every single day he sure does have a knack of stabbing them in the back when on the air. Back in the day when the few reporters that had access to accompanying the players all over, they were friends and treated them with respect. If anybody often wonders why some players aren't as candid with Hamilton, it might have something to do with the way he treats them. I wouldn't tell him anything either if he scolded me like a dad after a bad game.

I hope that answers your questions, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. ;)

Ah yes, thank you. Makes sense now.

I, too, have grown to dislike Hamilton--particularly how he asks questions. The way he goes on a minute long diatribe to the point where the player doesn't even know of what he asked anymore annoys me. Plenty of reporters ask leading questions, but Hamilton's are so overtly leading you'd swear he works for cable news.

And the Fed is planning to kill it with the spending cuts:

http://www.pbs.org/n...rthog-aircraft/

Unfortunately, it's for the best, IMO, and that sickens me to say that. But the way, or rather when, they're going to do it isn't right. The newest A-10s are 30 years old, they're increasingly susceptible to modern shoulder-fired SAMs, and they're almost completely out-matched in any air-to-air combat scenario. So they're great for blowing ###### up and cutting armor in half in third world countries that have AKs, RPGs, no air force, and no appreciable air defense systems. Which is why we've loved them over the past 30 years.

We need a new generation of aircraft for the CAS role, but due to cost and relative fragility, the F-35B's not going to cut it. So we need a new aircraft program for CAS, which could be expensive to get off the ground. Or drones, which I'm pretty meh about for various reasons.

So the A-10 fleet needs to be maintained until that new solution is flight ready. Otherwise, we forfeit a serious CAS capability, which in the current threat environment, is definitely one we shouldn't.

Unfortunately, it's for the best, IMO, and that sickens me to say that. But the way, or rather when, they're going to do it isn't right. The newest A-10s are 30 years old, they're increasingly susceptible to modern shoulder-fired SAMs, and they're almost completely out-matched in any air-to-air combat scenario. So they're great for blowing ###### up and cutting armor in half in third world countries that have AKs, RPGs, no air force, and no appreciable air defense systems. Which is why we've loved them over the past 30 years.

We need a new generation of aircraft for the CAS role, but due to cost and relative fragility, the F-35B's not going to cut it. So we need a new aircraft program for CAS, which could be expensive to get off the ground. Or drones, which I'm pretty meh about for various reasons.

So the A-10 fleet needs to be maintained until that new solution is flight ready. Otherwise, we forfeit a serious CAS capability, which in the current threat environment, is definitely one we shouldn't.

AND IT'S F*CKING COOL!

AND IT'S F*CKING COOL!

How often do we get to spend our tax dollars on something that's just plain kick-ass? I'm happy for every one of my tax dollars that's gone towards that baby. You oughta see one blast overhead full tilt a couple hundred feet up like I did that time in the Adirondacks - it was startling, lemme tell ya, AND awesome.

How often do we get to spend our ###### office. s on something that's just plain kick-ass? I'm happy for every one of my tax dollars that's gone towards that baby. You oughta see one blast overhead full tilt a couple hundred feet up like I did that time in the Adirondacks - it was startling, lemme tell ya, AND awesome.

When I worked at a place near the Rochester airport back a few years ago we'd go sit on the roof of the biggest building when all the planes were practicing for the air show. Flybys at 50 yards by the Blue Angels is boneriffic.

When I worked at a place near the Rochester airport back a few years ago we'd go sit on the roof of the biggest building when all the planes were practicing for the air show. Flybys at 50 yards by the Blue Angels is boneriffic.

Word. My office used to used to be less than a mile from a Naval Air Station. Didn't get a lot of work done the week of the air show due to looking out the window. Same thing when I was working for a week near the Farnborough Air Show. There were two planes in particular that everyone just stopped what they were doing to watch. The then-brand new A380 (seeing one do controlled stalls at a couple thousand feet was something to behold), and the Su-35. The Su-35 just does things that are unnatural; flat-spins, flying backwards (for short periods), and falling vertically on its tail to name a few. I always felt bad for the plane that came after (Typhoons, maybe) since they seemed so pedestrian.

Edited by MattPie

Word. My office used to used to be less than a mile from a Naval Air Station. Didn't get a lot of work done the week of the air show due to looking out the window. Same thing when I was working for a week near the Farnborough Air Show. There were two planes in particular that everyone just stopped what they were doing to watch. The then-brand new A380 (seeing one do controlled stalls at a couple thousand feet was something to behold), and the Su-35. The Su-35 just does things that are unnatural; flat-spins, flying backwards (for short periods), and falling vertically on its tail to name a few. I always felt bad for the plane that came after (Typhoons, maybe) since they seemed so pedestrian.

The Su-35. Because the Russians wanted to turn Evgeni Plushenko into a fighter plane.

• 3 years later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.