Brian Boitano comes out, and in Sabres news…

PASabreFan

OTOH, not all men who figure skate are gay. Or who are not, you know, all manly and stuff.

Figure skating for a straight male is jackpot city. Almost all the girls are cute, you are sent away to train months at a time, stranded with the same people, and most of the guys around you probably have no interest in the girls. Same probably goes for musical theatre.

Forget Bauers....get your son a pair of figure skates and reap the benefits of free riding......

My mum was quite the figure skater back in the day. Most those guys are gay. Her doubles partner however... was not. Lifts could be a bit uncomfortable, I gather.

And she also bitched about this annoying little dude who would come in during practice, skate circles around everyone and knock people over. Turned out to be a young Scott Hamilton, olympic gold medalist and all around decent guy.

Also. QK5Bhq6.jpg

My mum was quite the figure skater back in the day. Most those guys are gay. Her doubles partner however... was not. Lifts could be a bit uncomfortable, I gather.

And she also bitched about this annoying little dude who would come in during practice, skate circles around everyone and knock people over. Turned out to be a young Scott Hamilton, olympic gold medalist and all around decent guy.

Also. QK5Bhq6.jpg

What the heck is Will Farrell doing to Tyler Ennis in that photo?

Figure skating for a straight male is jackpot city. Almost all the girls are cute, you are sent away to train months at a time, stranded with the same people, and most of the guys around you probably have no interest in the girls. Same probably goes for musical theatre.

As a friend of mine (who did technical theatre in Fredonia) used to say, "All the actors are into men, and all the crew are into women."

Figure skating for a straight male is jackpot city.

Truer words were never spoken.

One of my college roommates had a female friend from grammar and high school who was an aspiring Olympic trials figure skater -- a true sweetheart of a gal. We were in school in the Boston area, and the hometown friend forewent college (initially, anyway) to train full-time in the Boston area. And so began a golden era of peripheral and sporadic social interfacing with the world of competitive figure skaters.

The girls were beautiful and eager to socialize with straight college guys (we had to mind our P's and Q's for those who were still 15, 16 years old, mind you), and the guys were campy and hilarious.

Blessed were we -- so, so blessed.

Male figure skaters should start "coming out" if they're straight, since everyone assumes they're gay anyway.

Wait...there are straight male figure skaters?

I want to meet the straight guy that makes the life decision to dress in sequins and dance in figure skates.

I want to meet the straight guy that makes the life decision to dress in sequins and dance in figure skates.

Maybe you're a hockey player and due to a freak eye injury you can't play any more.

(I'm rather ashamed I made that reference)

Archived