2013 / 2014 World Junior Championship

Derrico

Reinhardt looks special out there. Doesnt really wow me in any sense but does everything right. Mcdavid has looked really special all tournament. Really uses his body well to shield the puck and is easily the best passer in the tournament. The canadians have had a real problem finsihing. Mcdavid set up about 4 point blank chances in front including one where he skated around his man and while on his back hand right in front he passed to a wide open man in the slot who blew it. I have liked Ekblads offensive game a lot but he hasnt been noticeable on the defensive end. Not that that is a bad thing but I would want to see more out of him. Reinhardt to me seems very Druryish. Would love to have him on this team especially if we get Callahan. It would definitely make for the hardest team in hockey to come back and we would be very very hard to play against.

McDavid would put us over the top. Make us a force to be reckoned with especially if even 1/3rd of the guys in the pipeline work out.

McDavid has been garbage so far this tourney, he has skills but he is getting frustrated. Taking bad penalties last game.

McDavid has been garbage so far this tourney, he has skills but he is getting frustrated. Taking bad penalties last game.

Yup, I think many are just reading the hype and keeping the blinders on

I believe Sutter had him in a green jersey and talking to him after practice yesterday after keeping him nailed to the bench late in the loss against the Czechs on Saturday

I believe Sutter had him in a green jersey and talking to him after practice yesterday after keeping him nailed to the bench late in the loss against the Czechs on Saturday

I think his main problem has been being too unselfish. Giving up a lot of opportunities for teammates. I still think he has been Canadas best player and most impressive player. Reinhardt is just so good at everything. The kid doesnt make a mistake. Reminds me of Tavares.

I think his main problem has been being too unselfish. Giving up a lot of opportunities for teammates. I still think he has been Canadas best player and most impressive player. Reinhardt is just so good at everything. The kid doesnt make a mistake. Reminds me of Tavares.

And the knock against him is that his skating is average/below average. JT had that same knock and has become a much better skater since then.

Big scare for Canada earlier today but they defeat the Slovaks 5-3 after being down 3-2 with less than 6 minutes left in the game. From the parts of two games I've seen I have not been impressed with Ekblad out there.

Big Canada USA game tomorrow to decide the winner of the division.

Watched the game against Slovakia

Agreed, the kid McDavid has a lot of growing up to do and needs to be stronger in the corners, his speed makes up for it, but he doesn't do well when getting hit and gets stupid when he does. Though I do I like his compete. Lazar was a wow and Petan is a sniper.... Who owns his rights. Anyone else out there on that team draft eligble.

Reinhardt seems to have nice hands plays well on D, but is not a stop and start kind of guy. With his size he reminds me of Van Reimsdyk in college. Big kid, just wonder if he is a little too much like Grigerenko. Needs to learn to move his feet a little faster. He made a nice pass on the open netter, but he is obviously unselfish and can handle himself in the corners.

Watched the game against Slovakia

Agreed, the kid McDavid has a lot of growing up to do and needs to be stronger in the corners, his speed makes up for it, but he doesn't do well when getting hit and gets stupid when he does. Though I do I like his compete. Lazar was a wow and Petan is a sniper.... Who owns his rights. Anyone else out there on that team draft eligble.

Reinhardt seems to have nice hands plays well on D, but is not a stop and start kind of guy. With his size he reminds me of Van Reimsdyk in college. Big kid, just wonder if he is a little too much like Grigerenko. Needs to learn to move his feet a little faster. He made a nice pass on the open netter, but he is obviously unselfish and can handle himself in the corners.

Funny you should ask:

JETS AGREE TO TERMS WITH NIC PETAN

Petan signs a three-year, two-way, entry level contract

The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to announce they have agreed to terms with forward Nic Petan on a three-year, two-way, entry level contract with an average annual value of $925,000.

Petan, 18, has played in 32 games with the Portland Winterhawks so far this season. In that time, the left-handed centre has recorded 66 points (20G, 46A) which currently leaves him second in league scoring. The Delta, BC native has played 167 career WHL games, all with Portland, for 222 career points (80G, 142A) and 95 career penalty minutes.

He is currently representing Team Canada at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships where he has appeared in three games for three goals and one assist. Petan scored the game-winner in Canada’s 5-3 victory over Slovakia on Monday afternoon. He was originally drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in the second round, 43rd overall, in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

Nic Petan

Center

Born Mar 22 1995 -- Delta, BC

Height 5.09 -- Weight 165 -- Shoots L

Selected by Winnipeg Jets round 2 #43 overall 2013 NHL Entry Draft

News: WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP DAY 5

Finland stifles the Russians; Canada rallies late to beat Slovakia

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Mikhail Grigorenko produced one assist and a game-high six shots on goal Monday as Russia was defeated by Finland 4-1 at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship. Star defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen did not play for Finland due to illness.

Grigorenko earned a secondary assist as Valeri Vasiliev opened scoring at 5:27 of the first period, but that was all the Russians could muster after entering the contest with 18 goals through their first two games. Finland owned the second period of play, securing a 12-5 shot advantage en route to scoring three goals, and was able to add another marker in the final frame while holding off the Grigorenko-led Russian attack the rest of the way.

Defenseman Nikita Zadorov finished with a minus-one rating in defeat for Russia. The hulking defender exhibited his hitting ability at times, but was unable to generate much activity in the offensive zone.

Russian will look to get back on track Tuesday when they face unbeaten Sweden. Finland will complete their round robin schedule versus Switzerland.

http://youtu.be/UJHks25DYHg

RUSSIA/FINLAND GAME SUMMARY

I guess we are watching different games. Yeah he took a bad penalty but so did Drouin. He also caused the Czechs fits entering the zone. He needs to shoot more, that is my only criticism.

I guess we are watching different games. Yeah he took a bad penalty but so did Drouin. He also caused the Czechs fits entering the zone. He needs to shoot more, that is my only criticism.

He was benched in the previous game and woke up in the 3rd period against the Slovaks. Having said that the dude is 16 and the quality does shine through.

He was benched in the previous game and woke up in the 3rd period against the Slovaks. Having said that the dude is 16 and the quality does shine through.

I agree. He is only 16 and is probably # 3 on the depth chart for his position. Sutter values his guys with experience over young guys with hype. The kid will be good but he'll have to pay his dues.

McDavid was excellent in game one, created well early in game two but then took two bad penalties and got nailed to the bench.

That carried over today. He looked uptight and didn't do much until the third.

It's probably most adversity he's ever faced.

He's got some growing up to do, but his skill set and effort are as good as I've seen in the tourney.

He's 16.

Curtis Lazar is a hockey player. He will be driving us crazy with Ottawa for the next 10 years.

I have to ask, did you even watch the games? Yes, this 16 year old boy made mistakes, he took some bad penalties, had a few bad giveaways. On several occasions where he made a bad play, he was chasing down his man and often he came up with a takeaway! He will turn his game around and you'll get served on a silver platter for talking bad about this 16 year old boy

Zadorov speaks on eve of key tilt

Written By Kris Baker on Monday, December 30, 2013

Nikita Zadorov spoke to Swedish reporters Monday following Russia's 4-1 loss to Finland at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship. Friend of the site, Alex Nilsson (follow: @aalexnil), was kind enough to share and translate Zadorov's comments.

Russia didn't play well and lost against Finland.

Now Sweden could pay for that in the group final?

"We'll learn lots from this," says Nikita Zadorov

I have to ask, did you even watch the games? Yes, this 16 year old boy made mistakes, he took some bad penalties, had a few bad giveaways. On several occasions where he made a bad play, he was chasing down his man and often he came up with a takeaway! He will turn his game around and you'll get served on a silver platter for talking bad about this 16 year old boy

What am I wrong about? The part where his coach had him in a green jersey for practice and called him out after to talk about stuff? The part where he spent most of the 3rd against the Czechs nailed to the bench after some dumb penalties?

The comments I responded to were talking about how amazing this kid has been playing, which his coaches seem to disagree with.

What am I wrong about? The part where his coach had him in a green jersey for practice and called him out after to talk about stuff? The part where he spent most of the 3rd against the Czechs nailed to the bench after some dumb penalties?

The comments I responded to were talking about how amazing this kid has been playing, which his coaches seem to disagree with.

Dude, did you NOT get the warning about being served up on a silver platter? We're talking Trouble with a capital T here, mister.

McDavid was excellent in game one, created well early in game two but then took two bad penalties and got nailed to the bench.

That carried over today. He looked uptight and didn't do much until the third.

It's probably most adversity he's ever faced.

He's got some growing up to do, but his skill set and effort are as good as I've seen in the tourney.

He's 16.

Curtis Lazar is a hockey player. He will be driving us crazy with Ottawa for the next 10 years.

McDavid hasn't been perfect, but I've seen him make a handful of reads and passes each game I don't think anyone else could have made. When looking at an underage player at the World Juniors I think the analysis should be focused much more on what he's doing right against older competition. A full year of development at that age is huge. I'll be much more interested in what he does next year.

@SabresProspects

Sweden caps an exciting third period with a late de la Rose (MTL) goal to edge RUS 3-2.

@SabresProspects

Grigorenko races in to win 50/50 behind Sweden net, rotates to front for screen and tips in the PP goal. SWE 2, RUS 2.

@SabresProspects

Various reports suggest Ristolainen (illness) will miss second-straight game as FIN faces SUI. Know for sure at noon. FIN already in QF.

NHL.com Live Link: USA vs CAN

Archived