• Czech Republic
    • Slovakia
    • Finland
    • Austria
    • Norway
    • Latvia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

Keep in mind that it's the Olympics. Pommer's forechecking is just fine; excellent, in fact. He's not great in the corners, but he's not horrible, either. Olympic teams don't need black eye/missing tooth guys.

Watch him go around Alfie again and tell me he's not fast. He changes gears almost imperceptibly, is all.

Agree on all points. The Olympics is not the Stanley Cup finals where you need to be able to play with 4 cracked ribs and blood oozing from your noose. Pominville is solid in the corners.

As for his speed, Pominville in a straight line isn't going to beat everyone and their mother. what he does bring is great positioning. He gets in shot lanes, takes good angles to the puck, is very aware of his surroundings and on Olympic ice that would be helpful. As for who to sit, I have to say Ryan Callahan because he has been injured numerous times and he is just a little be off. I like his game a lot but I think this year is just not his year. That being said I don't have a problem at all with the roster outside of the GT.

I'm happy that the story was told. For all the debate here and namecalling over the years about grit vs. talent....some of the best execs and coaches in the game just showed you how they build a team. The frankness in describing some of these players is nothing that doesn't go around the league. Pominville wasn't even a consideration, and top scorers got stuffed down the ranks by guys who just play with some jam. While the Olympics aren't as much of a bloodbath as the NHL playoffs, the intensity level is 100%, with many international guys taking playing for their country much more seriously than an NHL team.

Well, Pommer is a good player, but I don't think he's much of a forechecker. He's not physically suited, or inclined, to battle for the puck and win it. I agree that he's a good skater.

I too thought it was interesting that Pommer wasn't seriously considered by the Team USA management (and it wasn't just Burke -- none of them really advocated for Pommer) despite being a capable scorer. It kinda dovetails with my theory on him -- he's a nice player, and if you're trying to ice a true NHL contender, you're happy with him as your 5th forward or so, both in terms of cash and ice time -- but he can't be one of the cornerstones of your team.

Wrong on so many levels my friend. First of all Loungo international record is 13-2-2 with a. 930sv%. Next up bernier is not a top 10 Canadian goalie and does have not a snowballs chance in hell of making this team, his not even a candidate. Loungo, price and mike smith will be Canada's goalies! While price has no International experience(excluding world juniors) we all know what he's capable of. Mike smith is 4-2 with a 940sv%. Maybe not the best goalies but certainly not the joke you made them out to be

Where did I ever say they were a joke? Please back up your comments and provide where I made them out to be a joke

All I said was that they would be Team Canadas weakness, and thats not making it out to be a bad thing because they are almost always a very strong team. Luongos overall stats may have looked good, but not many Canadians who followed the last olympics were confident with him in net, and he wasn't as dominant as your trying to make him out to be showing the stats. I mentioned bernier because if you read a few pages back, I responded to a post that showed the top Goalie Save %'s this season and the Canadian goalies on the list were Price and Bernier.

Seems you have some problem/issue with me because I hurt your feelings I used the word overrated when refering to your Butt Buddy McDavid in the World Juniors thread.

Team Canada just announced. Giroux the most obvious snub, him and St. Louis. Thornton also not on the team. Seems to be an unofficial assumption that Giroux would be an alternate if Stamkos can't make it. Other names, Vlasic, Bouwmeester, Weber, Nash, Carter, Crosby, Toews, Kunitz, Sharp, Keith... etc.

Panties are twisting in Philly and all over Canada...

Tallinder is past his prime. Anyone griping about Enroth is probably just looking at his record. He's actually been good this year, and a victim of getting no goal support.

Enroth will be the 3rd goalie and won't see the ice anyway.

I am really surprised by Tallinder. I cannot imagine he'll look good on a larger ice surface. Foot speed just isn't there anymore.

Team Canada just announced. Giroux the most obvious snub, him and St. Louis. Thornton also not on the team. Seems to be an unofficial assumption that Giroux would be an alternate if Stamkos can't make it. Other names, Vlasic, Bouwmeester, Weber, Nash, Carter, Crosby, Toews, Kunitz, Sharp, Keith... etc.

Panties are twisting in Philly and all over Canada...

I am in full support of any decision that gets Philly fans riled up.

News: FOUR SABRES HEADED TO WINTER OLYMPICS

Enroth, Tallinder and Girgensons will join Miller in Sochi

Kevin Snow - Sabres.com

The 2014 Winter Olympics are just over a month away in Sochi, Russia, and four Sabres will be representing their respective countries in the much-anticipated hockey competition.

Goaltender Jhonas Enroth and defenseman Henrik Tallinder were today named to the roster for Sweden, and forward Zemgus Girgensons has been selected to play for Latvia. Sabres’ interim coach Ted Nolan will also be behind the bench for Latvia.

The trio of players joins Ryan Miller, who was introduced as a member of Team USA on New Year’s Day following the Winter Classic in Michigan

Where did I ever say they were a joke? Please back up your comments and provide where I made them out to be a joke

All I said was that they would be Team Canadas weakness, and thats not making it out to be a bad thing because they are almost always a very strong team. Luongos overall stats may have looked good, but not many Canadians who followed the last olympics were confident with him in net, and he wasn't as dominant as your trying to make him out to be showing the stats. I mentioned bernier because if you read a few pages back, I responded to a post that showed the top Goalie Save %'s this season and the Canadian goalies on the list were Price and Bernier.

Seems you have some problem/issue with me because I hurt your feelings I used the word overrated when refering to your Butt Buddy McDavid in the World Juniors thread.

I wish I was lucky enough to be McDavid's butt buddy haha(no ######). I have no problem with you in the least, just some friendly banter. "Garbage" was not the correct word. While Loungo didn't have the tournament he'd like to of(exception being gold medal game) he stepped up and won a gold medal. The beauty of numbers are they speak for themselves, I'm not making him out to be a hero but his numbers are terrific! Just because a poster mentioned bernier doesn't mean team Canada's goaltending is weak! It means someone sitting on his couch thought he was a contender. I just disagreed with your comment that Canada's goalies are weak when one of the goalies you named wasn't even a candidate, and minus a couple bad games our other goalies are solid! For the record, when you say "Canada's goaltending could cost them" well with our roster, for our goalies to "cost us" they would have to play TERRIBLE so that's where I got garbage from, it was between the lines.

If I did have a problem with you, it wouldn't be over mcdavid. It would be because of your constant derogatory attitude towards Canadians and Canada. I really don't know why you have a problem with my country and I don't really care. Let me tell you this, anytime I'm on here and see you commenting about anything that I disagree with, I will post my opinion, which I believe is the point of this forum.

Edited by Naulter8

I wish I was lucky enough to be McDavid's butt buddy haha(no ######). I have no problem with you in the least, just some friendly banter. "Garbage" was not the correct word. While Loungo didn't have the tournament he'd like to of(exception being gold medal game) he stepped up and won a gold medal. The beauty of numbers are they speak for themselves, I'm not making him out to be a hero but his numbers are terrific! Just because a poster mentioned bernier doesn't mean team Canada's goaltending is weak! It means someone sitting on his couch thought he was a contender. I just disagreed with your comment that Canada's goalies are weak when one of the goalies you named wasn't even a candidate, and minus a couple bad games our other goalies are solid! For the record, when you say "Canada's goaltending could cost them" well with our roster, for our goalies to "cost us" they would have to play TERRIBLE so that's where I got garbage from, it was between the lines.

If I did have a problem with you, it wouldn't be over mcdavid. It would be because of your constant derogatory attitude towards Canadians and Canada. I really don't know why you have a problem with my country and I don't really care. Let me tell you this, anytime I'm on here and see you commenting about anything that I disagree with, I will post my opinion, which I believe is the point of this forum.

FYI, apuszczalowski is from Ontario. At least I am pretty sure he is.

Had to cut/paste that name in. too many ######### consonants. :P

Yup, Born and raised in Ontario, but half American on my moms side

Also I would like to know when or where I have ever said anything bad or had a problem with Canada/Canadians? If anything I'm usually one of the ones defending Canada around here

I guess just because I don't think the Canadian teams goaltending is a strength, or that it could cost them the gold (like it almost did in Vancouver) it make me a Canada hating terrorist

Also I would like to know when or where I have ever said anything bad or had a problem with Canada/Canadians? If anything I'm usually one of the ones defending Canada around here

I guess just because I don't think the Canadian teams goaltending is a strength, or that it could cost them the gold (like it almost did in Vancouver) it make me a Canada hating terrorist

Nah. Pretty sure it's living in southern Ontario and hating the Loafs that makes you one. :P

You are DEFINITELY the one defending Canadians on here. It's like your defining thing, like me with Lindy Ruff, or DeLuca with players for 29 other teams.

Edited by Eleven

• 2 weeks later...

So Jimmy Howard is injured again. Supposedly his knee is hurt. With the games only about 2 weeks away, do you change up your goaltenders on team USA and bring in Bishop in place of Howard? I think I would.

Depends on how bad of an injury, and if their intention for Howard was to be more then the 3rd goalie. If its something that won't be better before the games, make the change, if it will be better then keep him and hope he doesn't injure it in the press box

Depends on how bad of an injury, and if their intention for Howard was to be more then the 3rd goalie. If its something that won't be better before the games, make the change, if it will be better then keep him and hope he doesn't injure it in the press box

I definitely make the change. Bishop is the future and needs to learn what being around an Olympics is like. Howard isn't going to play. He's the 2014 version of John Graeme or Robert Esche from 2006, while Bishop is the 2014 version of Ryan Miller.

Edited by Eleven

I definitely make the change. Bishop is the future and needs to learn what being around an Olympics is like. Howard isn't going to play. He's the 2014 version of John Graeme or Robert Esche from 2006, while Bishop is the 2014 version of Ryan Miller.

That was my thinking. If Bishop is the future than being at the Olympics would be great for him. He can see what it is like and maybe even get a little time in one of the qualifying games if lucky.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.