• Czech Republic
    • Slovakia
    • Finland
    • Austria
    • Norway
    • Latvia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

Apparently 30 billion dollars spent on Sochi. The train/highway into Sochi cost more than the entire Vancouver Olympics. I have no proof and this is me speculating but much of that 30 billion no doubt ended up in the hands of mafia types that run the building trades in the form of payolas, bribes and kickbacks. Just my op.

Apparently 30 billion dollars spent on Sochi. The train/highway into Sochi cost more than the entire Vancouver Olympics. I have no proof and this is me speculating but much of that 30 billion no doubt ended up in the hands of mafia types that run the building trades in the form of payolas, bribes and kickbacks. Just my op.

I thought the number was closer to $50 billion.

They should have called Mitt to come help.

I thought the number was closer to $50 billion.

They should have called Mitt to come help.

50 ? Wow. That number is staggering. Its really hard to comprehend that the Olympics as they exist now can survive. 50 billion dollars for a 2 week event ? Its mind boggling.

50 ? Wow. That number is staggering. Its really hard to comprehend that the Olympics as they exist now can survive. 50 billion dollars for a 2 week event ? Its mind boggling.

The real tragedy is that we know how this story plays out. The Olympic infrastructure never gets used, falls into disrepair, and the people it displaced never get their homes back and are surrounded by hulking adandoned tombs.

The real tragedy is that we know how this story plays out. The Olympic infrastructure never gets used, falls into disrepair, and the people it displaced never get their homes back and are surrounded by hulking adandoned tombs.

Lets hope some of that money actually went towards real security. I'd hate to see even one person hurt or maimed by some religious nutbar or someone making a political statement.

Edited by bunomatic

I cannot believe how not ready Sochi is for the Olympics. I know it's Russia, but I figured they'd at least try to demonstrate some sort of basic competency. FIFA's got to be frightened for the World Cup in 2018.

I've never been more thankful that I pay taxes in the United States.

Snowboarders are withdrawing from competition. A female slammed her head and got carried off in a stretcher. I guess the course is just badly made.

I know media loves to make the bad apocalyptic, but geeeeeez.

Also, fresh honey!

xxN2nZz.jpg

source: https://twitter.com/mattgutmanABC/status/431018506159915008/photo/1

Edited by Josie914

Firsthand account of Sochi 2 weeks prior by Johnnie Balfour- a snowboard/skicross course builder from Vancouver. This is an edited version because the original was censored/taken down.

http://www.reddit.co...would_post_the/

Apparently he has left Russia to return home since. I feel like I saw this link somewhere earlier, but I don't remember if it was here or the facebooks. Apologies if it's a repost.

And follow @SochiProblems on twitter.

Edited by Josie914

Sounds like with Stamkos officially out the Canadian Team is looking long and hard at who will fill the vacant roster spot. Here is a really good write up on the situation.

http://www.sportsnet...amkos-in-sochi/

I am pretty sure stamkos said in an interview that MSL was taking his spot

NM saw that on twitter from some nobody.

If it was me I take Sequin.

Edited by FolignosJock

Yuri Kymylev's daughter is in Sochi for the games as a reporter. Here is a little vid about her there.

Olga Khmylev@OlgaKhmylev

Check out this vid of my pre-Olympic departure- baby pictures and all! :) http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Former-NBC-15-intern-works-at-Sochi-Olympics-243804651.html?device=phone … THANK YOU to #NBC15 for remembering me! :)

Yuri Kymylev's daughter is in Sochi for the games as a reporter. Here is a little vid about her there.

Olga Khmylev@OlgaKhmylev

Check out this vid of my pre-Olympic departure- baby pictures and all! :) http://www.nbc15.com...?device=phone … THANK YOU to #NBC15 for remembering me! :)

Good for her. She seems to really enjoy what she's doing.

Olga Khmylev@OlgaKhmylev

Check out this vid of my pre-Olympic departure- baby pictures and all! :) http://www.nbc15.com...?device=phone … THANK YOU to #NBC15 for remembering me! :)

She's fun to follow- very into what she does. However, she was super fan girling over Putin the other day and caught a lot of flack for it. I'll overlook her political leanings and stick to her hockey related reports :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.