• Czech Republic
    • Slovakia
    • Finland
    • Austria
    • Norway
    • Latvia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

In all seriousness, I am 100% expecting some BS Russian hijinks during this tournament.

Let's not give Canada a free pass on the hijinks card for the 2010 Olympics. I'm not so sure either Canada or the US were in that medal game if it wasn't played on NHL ice. That's the one thing that I think will be the most intriguing this year, the return to the true Olympic surface. Since the pros have started playing these games, North America hasn't done so well on that surface. Granted there have only been 4 tourneys, but Canada and the US have only medaled when the games were held in North America.

You guys might already know this, but I just learned the IIHF pushed back the dealine to announce Olympic rosters to January 7th.

USA Hockey will still announce their roster during the Leafs/Wings Winter Classic telecast on New Year's Day.

• 3 weeks later...

Z. Johnson, Pominville, Ryan and Byfuglien need not apply

I really like the forwards for Team USA. Not loving the defensemen quite as much as the forwards. Solid team overall.

Defense looks weak.

Z. Johnson, Pominville, Ryan and Byfuglien need not apply

Defense looks weak.

There are quite a few very good forwards for USA Hockey to choose from. I think they either wanted physical two-way players (e.g. Brown, Backes) or elite scorers (e.g. Kane, Kessel) and a guy like Pommer ends up as a bit of a "tweener." Derek Stephan surprises me a bit, but I don't watch a lot of Rangers games so maybe he is better than I think he is.

A guy like Okposo (tied for 12th in scoring) or Bobby Ryan might have a gripe.

With the bigger ice surface they definitely need mobile guys, hence some of the d-men choices perhaps?

There are quite a few very good forwards for USA Hockey to choose from. I think they either wanted physical two-way players (e.g. Brown, Backes) or elite scorers (e.g. Kane, Kessel) and a guy like Pommer ends up as a bit of a "tweener." Derek Stephan surprises me a bit, but I don't watch a lot of Rangers games so maybe he is better than I think he is.

A guy like Okposo (tied for 12th in scoring) or Bobby Ryan might have a gripe.

With the bigger ice surface they definitely need mobile guys, hence some of the d-men choices perhaps?

Stepan is a really nice two-way center, and I think the latter portion of that is why he's on the team--just a lack of high end American centers. Hopefully in four years Galchenyuk and Eichel can correct that.

Stepan is a really nice two-way center, and I think the latter portion of that is why he's on the team--just a lack of high end American centers. Hopefully in four years Galchenyuk and Eichel can correct that.

Seth Jones can grab one of the defense spots in 4 years too. Kid is going to be special.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think that US team has a chance, they all looked like children out there today when their names were called, and someone better look into it, but I think that Pacioretty was a girl. Van Riemsdyk and Howard were the only ones that looked like adult NHLers...............

Seriously though, I was waiting for Howard in his interview to tell the truth and just say the team will rely on its strengths and hope the goaltenders carry them again cause that's one of the only areas where the US team appears to be stronger then most

I think the U. S will medal, but I'm thinking a bronze, maybe silver, but Canada looks like a clear favorite and with the games in Russia, who know what hijinks may occur.... The D is fairly weak and the forwards are just slightly above average.

I still take the stance that nhl players should not be in the Olympics., but those days are long gone.

long, but good read.

They sure have a lot of love for Quick even though he has been injured.

Yeah, it's like he was pencilled in as number one at the start and got hurt before anyone could pass him.

It will be interesting if he or Miller gets the nod come Sochi.

The love for Howard and Johnson despite their play this year and the mistrust of Ryan and Yandle were real eye-openers.

The coaching staff essentially put Oshie on the team and cemented the Yandle decision.

Edited by dudacek

Awesome, in-depth piece on the US selection process (including why Ryan is not there).

http://espn.go.com/n...mpics-was-named

Thanks for posting it. GREAT read.

It's crazy to see what an arrogant prick Brian Burke is even in meetings with just higher up hockey people. Whenever he is strong about an opinion, he just throws jabs. Can't argue with points any other way then to cut a guy down.

I am only a fan and these guys have earned their right to have the jobs that they do to create Team USA to have their best chance to win at Sochi. I don't agree with many of the choices (Saad, Ryan, Okposo, Yandle), but in this article they do make me think twice. They do a good job to argue against those players. But somethings still just don't make sense to me. For example, saying Yandle would be a "disaster" if he was a top-4 d-men for USA, but they are OK with Faulk being top-4? And i am still confused tonight after much reading of many articles online to why Derek Stepan got named to the team?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.