GM Speculation

Eleven

I really hope the meeting with Pegula is a formality rather than Terry needing to actually agree with PLF's decision.

I suspect that Pegula just wants to get the measure of the man, so to speak -- be assured that he likes the cut of his jib, yadda yadda.

And that's entirely fair.

So long as Murray doesn't really step in it somehow -- e.g., insulting Penn State, leering at Mrs. Pegula (that's my job, after all) -- I'm sure he'll be confirmed.

When I interviewed for my job, I talked not only to my boss, but his boss and boss' boss. The former had the final word, but it was good etiquette to meet the latter to demonstrate to them that I wasn't a tard. It helps if the person signing the checks thinks you're easy to work with.

In Pegula's case, he's not only signing his checks, but the checks of everyone he brings in, and handing over what could amount to something like a +/-$35M swing in franchise value based on his performance.

When I interviewed for my job, I talked not only to my boss, but his boss and boss' boss. The former had the final word, but it was good etiquette to meet the latter to demonstrate to them that I wasn't a tard. It helps if the person signing the checks thinks you're easy to work with.

In Pegula's case, he's not only signing his checks, but the checks of everyone he brings in, and handing over what could amount to something like a +/-$35M swing in franchise value based on his performance.

absolutely. I had to do the same.

Look at the account before you make such a comment.

Meh. I feel safe assuming that if there is no name attached to an account that it's not legit. Will be right more than 90% of the time. May have been wrong this time since, as you said, it has some real followers. But I don't know, still question the account bouncing around on something so quick.

Pegula is the owner. Why wouldn't he want to meet with the guy to whom he may entrust (in large measure) the success of his franchise.

The story fits better if Pegula is a meddling megalomanic. I'd be shocked if he doesn't announce himself as the new coach/gm of the team. I hear he is also pushing for the zamboni driver's job too

@StepnerWKBW

VIDEO: #Sabres player in favor of #Senators Tim Murray as new #Buffalo GM http://www.wkbw.com/...39330141.html …

@JeffRussoWKBW

I spoke with John Shannon from Rogers Sportsnet about what Tim Murray would bring if hired by the #Sabres. http://www.wkbw.com/sports/Eyewitness-Sports-talks-to-Rogers-SportsNet-239333201.html …

Wow, they sound JUST. LIKE. US.

:lol:

I like the display/layout of our forum more though, seems a bit more...homey

Plus, their emoticons creep the ###### out of me -------->applaud.gif

This one got me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 viewpost.gif

Can someone explain to me why Tim Murray is so widely respected around here? What has he done exactly?

Other than run the entry draft (with Pierre Dorion), negotiate the contracts of all RFA's and sign all the players destined for Binghamton? Not much I guess.

For what it's worth, Pierre McGuire doesn't think he's a legit candidate to get the job.

:doh: :lol:

One underrated aspect of bringing Murray on board: can he get whoever designed Ottawa's thirds to design ours?

That thread is fun to read through. This is basically how it goes in the few posts I've read:

###### ###### ###### ###### ###### NOOOOO!!!! ... Meh. What has he really done? ... ARE YOU KIDDING!? HE'S DONE EVERYTHING! ... ###### ###### ###### ###### ###### NOOOOO!!!! ... To insulting him.

What if Patty's five minutes in management with the Islanders would happen again? He presents Murray to Pegula and then says no. I don't like him and Patty walks away from us. Nah, Wouldn't happen right?

:w00t:

Murray is certainly trending up. He was likely to be the Sens GM very soon, and if they weren't decisive about it then it was only a matter of time before somebody stole him away. They weren't, and look where we are now.

As for looking at results: he's been with more than just the Sens. He helped put the finishing touches on a championship in Anaheim. If he had stayed around for just another year then we'd all be celebrating him as a champion. A lot of people consider Dudley a champion even though he left Tampa before they won it. Murray is a champion in the same sense.

I get what you're saying about the other teams he's been involved with. I'm more concerned with the Sens record of missing the playoffs most of the time. They've been dreadful. To me thats treading water. The Sabres under Regier were in the same boat. Mostly missing the show. Been there done that. I am hoping for someone with a successful run. To me Benning represents that. He's involved with a successful franchise. But alas, it appears he may be out so we may get more of what we're used to in Murray. I hope I'm wrong on Murray. At least its not DR.

I get what you're saying about the other teams he's been involved with. I'm more concerned with the Sens record of missing the playoffs most of the time. They've been dreadful. To me thats treading water. The Sabres under Regier were in the same boat. Mostly missing the show. Been there done that. I am hoping for someone with a successful run. To me Benning represents that. He's involved with a successful franchise. But alas, it appears he may be out so we may get more of what we're used to in Murray. I hope I'm wrong on Murray. At least its not DR.

Somebody else pointed out that results aren't always a good judge of an assistant GM. They can only do so much. It's the GM's job to produce results. I'm just putting the Ducks stuff out there to give SOME type of results.

He also was the GM of the B-Sens when they won the Calder Cup, so he seems to have an idea of what it takes to win in hockey.

Somebody else pointed out that results aren't always a good judge of an assistant GM. They can only do so much. It's the GM's job to produce results. I'm just putting the Ducks stuff out there to give SOME type of results.

He also was the GM of the B-Sens when they won the Calder Cup, so he seems to have an idea of what it takes to win in hockey.

Its sounding like he's the guy. I could probably get behind this decision and would rather look on the positive side right now. Its all uphill from here. By all accounts he'll be getting a great gig. Lots of picks, lots of cap space, aging assets to trade or resign, filthy rich owner, a rabid fanbase, lots of young prospects in the pipeline. I'm sure there are other G.M's some currently holding other jobs that may look on this situation with envy. He'll pretty well have a clean slate to mold this team exactly how he wants.

Archived