Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

i feel like those odds are out there, somewhere. i'd be interested in seeing them.

between pominville, leopold, regehr, and now vanek, darcy's all fired up about being loaded with second rounders. again, what are the odds that 1 or more of them "hit"?

p.s. pominville was a 2nd rounder, yeah?

I thought I read somewhere that it was 20 percent but I could be completely wrong

My final thoughts on Vanek trade.

** No less shocking to me today than yesterday when I first found out about it.

** He'll be one of the more memorable Sabres for some time to come. He had big highs and big lows.

** He got Sidney money but never carried the team like Sidney does.

** He'll be missed

** It was a decent trade for the Sabres and a terrible trade for the Isles.

** My oh my how this team looks different since Pegula took over.

I thought I read somewhere that it was 20 percent but I could be completely wrong

the about.com (aboot.com) site has an article saying that, from 1990-1999, about 25% of 2nd rounders had a "career" in the nhl (not sure how they defined that). again, i'm not sure whether and to what extent that bunch of 2nd rounders should be viewed as predictive of future success.

EDIT: and there's a WaPo blog saying that 2nd rounders succeed in the NHL at about a 30% rate. so, if darcy were to get 10 second rounders, maybe we're destined to get 3 NHL players?

Edited by That Aud Smell

i feel like those odds are out there, somewhere. i'd be interested in seeing them.

between pominville, leopold, regehr, and now vanek, darcy's all fired up about being loaded with second rounders. again, what are the odds that 1 or more of them "hit"?

p.s. pominville was a 2nd rounder, yeah?

Leopold was a second rounder too.

I didn't even think about Vanek playing well lessening the value of the draft pick. I'll still root for him, but damn. The bolded is misleading because Vanek is himself a pending UFA that could very well become a rental (EDIT:That may have been your point. Fans will go nuts that the team is in this state). Looking at their stats last three years they are comparable, with the obvious edge going to Vanek who played with much worse centers and is more talented by far. I agree that the return is just okay because the draft picks are nice, and the picks we'll get from Moulson will be nice, but I don't trust Darcy to trade these picks for the right, good young players. I have the sinking feeling that he's more likely to hold onto them until the draft.

As long as you're rooting against the Isles as well :P

The difference between whether this is a lottery top 14 pick or a 25th overall type pick is enormous. I don't care what any message board 'experts' say about how strong or weak this draft is, I'd much rather a low/mid teen pick then mid 20 pick.

The quality of this trade should be examined for the four UFA re-signing scenarios:

Vanek and Moulson both resign: (unlikely I think) Vanek is very good, but not worth more a 1st and 2nd round pick more than Moulson. Sabres fleece Islanders.

Vanek and Moulson both don't resign, Moulson isn't traded: (likely I think) You lose Vanek for only a 1st and 2nd, which is not good at all, but the Sabres still fleeced the Islanders.

Vanek resigns, Moulson doesn't resign, Moulson isn't traded: (unlikely I think) You lose Vanek for only a 1st and 2nd round pick, which is not good at all, and because. Islanders able to throw a coup and sign Vanek. Islanders effectively gained resigning rights to Vanek for a 1st and 2nd, without exposing Vanek to UFA market. It'd be considered a risky move, but you end up with Vanek. Islanders slightly ahead here.

Vanek doesn't resign, Moulson resign: (possible) Islanders traded a 30 goal scorer and a 1st and 2nd for 6 months of a marginally/somewhat better 30 goal scorer. Sabres fleeced the Islanders.

If Moulson is traded, his return will help dictate the value of this trade, but I think it's entirely likely that he gets moved and we end up with at least six of the top 60 picks at the draft this year. In all likelihood, unless Vanek signs on the Islandor Moulson is somehow allowed to go UFA, Sabres will be considered to have fleeced the Islanders here. Winning trades aside, we netted good picks that will help us.

Now we just need the Islanders to come in 2nd last.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Wasn't he in the ridiculously deep 03 draft?

Yes, but the Preds had a similar setup to what Buffalo will have in that they had a 1st rounder (Ryan Suter #7 overall) plus 3 second rounders. Shea was the third of the three second rounders.

Ott is now full-time captain, as expected.

Edited by Potato

Was just a matter of time. Moulson will be dealt for more picks by Darcy.

I believe this to be true. Moulson does not have a long term future in Buffalo. He will most likely be traded before the dealine. The Sabres should be able to get a 1st rounder at a minimum for him (plus another pick or player). This would make the deal essentially Vanek for two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and let's say a 3rd rounder. All things considered, considering Vanek's age and wages, this is a good deal for the Sabres.

I was always against the Sabres matching the Edmonton offer sheet for Vanek. I felt the Sabres would have been better served by getting the four 1st round picks from the Oilers at the time. Now that Vanek's career in Buffalo is over, I believe history will favor the view that taking the (4) 1st rounders would have been much better.

The Sabres are finally heading in the right direction as an organization. All the top teams suffered at the bottom of the league in the early stages of their rebuilding. Pittsburgh, Chicago and others all acquired their top talent when they were trolling the bottom of the league.

I can see definite signs the Sabres are acquiring the top talent they need to succeed. The young players like Pysyk, Zadorov, and Ristolainen are forming the backbone of a defense that may prosper for many years. Girgensons and Grigorenko are the beginnings of a rejuvenation up front. There are many very promising players in the organization like McCabe, JT Compher,Nick Baptiste and Connor Hurley who will be Sabres in several years.

The majority of fans at the moment are on the "Fire Darcy!" bandwagon, but not me. I think the change in the organization's philosophy over the last two years is very welcome and promising. It will take a little time, but I believe the rewards will be great in a few years. In the age of "I want it now!" this is not popular, but it is smart.

I will go with patience and intelligence over emotional overreaction anyday. Emotional overreaction lead to the Sabres re-signing Vanek at all costs the last time and I believe that didn't work too well even though it seemed like a good short term decision.

I am pretty certain my opinion will be in the minority right now, but in 4 or five years it will be vindicated again.

I was always against the Sabres matching the Edmonton offer sheet for Vanek. I felt the Sabres would have been better served by getting the four 1st round picks from the Oilers at the time. Now that Vanek's career in Buffalo is over, I believe history will favor the view that taking the (4) 1st rounders would have been much better.

I do agree with you on this but the Sabres were in a corner at the time: The way Regier handled Briere and messed that up and they lose Drury I can see why the Sabres matched the offer for Vanek they could not afford to lose all 3 players after a big season.

So it comes back to the same thing: Consider the GM and until that changes, a bunch of draft picks do nothing for me to convince me that any of these trades are good for Buffalo.

Just didn't include them because we don't have them YET haha

Yeah I think it's closer to 5 but the product you'll see starting with the 2015-2016 season will be so much fun to watch I'm laughing at all the people hating because people will want on this bandwagon in a few years and you gotta cope with the bad to get the best

That's if everything works out and I hope you are right, but we have been sold hope by Darcy before, for a decade and a half. I don't know why you are so confident it will work out this time.

That Darcy is able to make good trades has never been in doubt. It's assembling a winning team he has trouble with.

I think the deal is good for Buffalo. Do you really think the return would have been any better closer to the deadline? I don't think so. Vanek was a goner after the season. You guys got a quality player to sign or flip later and a 1st and 2nd.

All that being said, you still have to have some veterans around or you end up like the Oilers.

Gonna miss Vanek and just like this whole rebuilding process, the Sabres are really putting lots of stock into this rebuild. They are going to find it's going to be very hard to find the kind of players such as Pominville and Vanek, even with high picks. And when Reinhart comes in here, he'll have nobody to play with, will be interesting to see how his development goes.

That said, if you believe in this rebuild, this is the right move. Moulson is a hard working player who has expierence on being on rebuilding teams. He will also hit and fight in the corners, something, most of our players will not do. If they were willing to subject skill with a hard worker to show the kids around, i am all for it, but, why is a lazy loser such as Drew Stafford still here?

Hopefully we don't pick too many more Grigorenko's with the future picks.

Michael Peca was a 2nd rounder... Some of you may have seen him play...

I saw him play. Second best captain the Sabres ever had (I'd put Gare first), IMO.

Matt Moulson leads the entire NHL in power play goals with 5.

What's the over / under that he won't get another until he is traded by the Sabres?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.