Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Well it's not like it's the kids' first year playing hockey. The people who scout them for a living have an eye for talent, I'm sure most teams already have early projections for the next two or even three years of draft eligible players. At this time last year we were all well aware of MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones... Barkov became a mainstream name shortly after. Didn't take long for Nichushkin, Monahan, etc to enter the mix. The only household name people know this year is Reinhart and I'm guessing anyone who isn't as hardcore a hockey fan as most of us are wouldn't even know that.

I don't watch any junior leagues so I have limited knowledge on up and coming prospects, but I think it's safe to say this year's draft doesn't really compare with last years.

I'd like to see how draft classes actually panned out over the years in comparison to what was projected.

I don't think many 1st rounds are going to vary greatly, especially when you're loaded with picks. Pittsburgh was a fluke.

A GM rebuilding the team he built. The whole notion is just so very interesting - like a home builder building a ###### house, and then declaring it's no good - and that he has gotta tear it down and start again. LOL And outside observers would expect the second home made by the same builder to be better than the first?

1. His first rebuild was nowhere near this scale.

2. His first rebuild was on a leash. I would expect another home to be much better quality when the builder is allowed to do as he pleases to make it right no matter the cost.

But, we've been over this several times.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Darcy made reference in his presser (twice, if I'm not mistaken) to the attraction of acquiring the first rounder now as an asset he could use later to trade for a player.

Miller and the Islanders first could be an enticing package for someone.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's had talks where a mid-range first may be the missing link.

I will be absolutely stunned if Miller is still here by December and I believe it's coming sooner.

Edited by dudacek

I'd like to see how draft classes actually panned out over the years in comparison to what was projected.

I don't think many 1st rounds are going to vary greatly, especially when you're loaded with picks. Pittsburgh was a fluke.

Compare 2002 to 2003. It's fairly astonishing.

My question about this year's draft being "weak", is it:

a. Just plain weak throughout.

b. Weak compared to last year (which was a very strong draft)

c. Weak compared to next year

d. Just weak at the top (Reinhart not as strong as MacKinnon or McDavid) and normal the rest of the way.

e. Weak after the top five or ten.

:o :unsure: :( :mellow: :beer: :w00t: :sick: :cry: :lol: :thumbsup:

In some ways I'm glad for Thomas; however, on the other end, I know what it means to loose, but in the end I think it will be the best thing for him. Islanders look to be a strong up and coming team, and it doesn't hurt that Vanek will be playing along side John Travares.

Good Luck Thomas and Family; you'll be missed.

Edited by hockeyhound

Darcy made reference in his presser (twice, if I'm not mistaken) to the attraction of acquiring the first rounder now as an asset he could use later to trade for a player.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's had talks where a mid-range first may be the missing link.

I will be absolutely stunned if Miller is still here by December and I believe it's coming sooner.

I think Miller is here at least through the Olympics. If he ends up being the USA goalie and plays close to the level he did last time I think that only increases his trade value. Also allows Sabres to sell a ton of Miller team USA jerseys down at the store. Lots of free advertising.

Compare 2002 to 2003. It's fairly astonishing.

My question about this year's draft being "weak", is it:

a. Just plain weak throughout.

b. Weak compared to last year (which was a very strong draft)

c. Weak compared to next year

d. Just weak at the top (Reinhart not as strong as MacKinnon or McDavid) and normal the rest of the way.

e. Weak after the top five or ten.

All good questions. Ones that I'm not qualified to answer.

One thing I'd like to say though.. we're really quick to kill Darcy but he BETTER get his props in 5-10 years when our forwards consist of some combination of Hodgson, Foligno, Ennis, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, Flynn, Armia, Catenacci, Bailey, Compher, Hurley, Baptiste and our defense has Pysyk, Ehrhoff, McCabe, Risto, Nikita, Myers, McNabb

This is before we throw in the ridiculous amount of prospects we're getting the next 2 years and whoever of these guys we trade to bring in pieces that fit the mold of our team during this time, we got a lot to be excited about just not* right now.

Edited by Lorenzo Von Matterhorn

One thing I'd like to say though.. we're really quick to kill Darcy but he BETTER get his props in 5-10 years when our forwards consist of some combination of Hodgson, Foligno, Ennis, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, Flynn, Armia, Catenacci, Bailey, Compher, Hurley, Baptiste and our defense has Pysyk, Ehrhoff, McCabe, Risto, Nikita, Myers, McNabb

This is before we throw in the ridiculous amount of prospects we're getting the next 2 years and whoever of these guys we trade to bring in pieces that fit the mold of our team during this time, we got a lot to be excited about just now right now.

I don't think he trades for anything significant. I believe he's waiting for the 2015 UFA class to complete the rebuild. Patrick Kane.

And they'll have the cap space to achieve it as well.

Excellent trade by Darcy. I should say ANOTHER excellent trade. The picks are what make the difference.

If both players walk at the end of the season, Buffalo wins. With all the talk about Vanek going to Minnesota because he lives there, his wife is from there, he went to school there and the Wild would like to sign him next season (after dumping Heatley's contract), I'd say that it is more likely that Vanek will walk on the Islanders.

While Darcy is at it, I'm sure he's working on a Miller trade, but I think he should also consider trading Ehrhoff too. It is obvious by his lackluster play that he's not happy here and would like to move on.

Darcy showed why he gets the big bucks.

This is before we throw in the ridiculous amount of prospects we're getting the next 2 years and whoever of these guys we trade to bring in pieces that fit the mold of our team during this time, we got a lot to be excited about just not* right now.

Lots of talent to use as trade bait for some quality veterans to fill any holes as well.

I don't think he trades for anything significant. I believe he's waiting for the 2015 UFA class to complete the rebuild. Patrick Kane.

Interesting could definitely be the case was just saying eventually we'll become buyers down the line in needing of a piece or 2 and we'll have the assets to acquire whatever we need

Lots of talent to use as trade bait for some quality veterans to fill any holes as well.

Exactly

I think Miller is here at least through the Olympics. If he ends up being the USA goalie and plays close to the level he did last time I think that only increases his trade value. Also allows Sabres to sell a ton of Miller team USA jerseys down at the store. Lots of free advertising.

Do people realize that the trade deadline is RIGHT after the Olympics? If we hold him until the Olympics, we'll either trade him during the Olympics which is an EXTREME disservice to him (and in a way the country haha), or at the deadline. I think it makes so much sense to trade him sooner. Let him focus on his new team, the playoffs potentially and the Olympics when they come.

Interesting.

So is this Grigorenko's big shot?

?? How does this change Griggy's slot in the rotation?

My 2 cents on this trade:

- After listening to DR's presser, it seems pretty clear that he's planning on flipping Moulson at the deadline. So I agree with the posters above who have said that we'll need to account for the return in any Moulson trade in evaluating the Vanek trade -- and I should withdraw my criticism of DR on this point. (But I don't really wanna.)

- It's also pretty clear that DR ain't goin' nowhere. He's been retained to oversee this rebuild. He's not getting fired before the summer of 2015 at the earliest.

- There are a few hockey theories that are now going to be put to the test. First and foremost, now we'll see how Vanek does with a high-end #1 center. I don't think he's going to do as well as others here think he will, but it will be interesting to see.

- Another theory is whether the Islanders are a Mickey Mouse operation. And another, which is related to the Islanders one, is that Vanek is earmarked for the Wild. The Islanders are coming into a huge revenue increase with the move to Brooklyn -- maybe they'll re-sign Vanek. Or maybe they'll butcher the situation, fail to trade or extend him by the deadline and lose him for nothing. Or maybe they'll flip him for a great package. And maybe Minny will sign him -- or maybe they'll miss the playoffs, or make it by a hair and get bounced in the first round again, and decide they don't need another expensive winger.

- It's quite possible that the Islanders will miss the playoffs and give the Sabres another lottery pick. They're a bubble team with lousy goaltending.

- I'll repeat it: even though I'm not as big a fan of Vanek's as many here are, he's certainly a very good player who I would've preferred to have stayed on the Sabres (albeit for much less $$ than he's about to get). It should never have gotten to this point -- and the fact that it did is all on DR.

I'm not sure Kane is ever leaving there. He's won two cups, a con smyth, and I've already heard the Hawks gm state making Toews and Kane "Blackhwaks for life."

Acquiring an excess of young assets/picks is very wise. Hopefully quite a few of these ready/near ready guys really turn it up in the next two years or so. Then we'll be the buyers at the deadline looking for guys like Vanek to acquire. Fun to think about.

I'm not sure Kane is ever leaving there. He's won two cups, a con smyth, and I've already heard the Hawks gm state making Toews and Kane "Blackhwaks for life."

A part of me has absolutely no doubt that Kane will someday play in Buffalo. I don't know if it'll come while he's still playing at a high level, but either way I think it'll happen.

Devine is head of scouting and is in charge of all these picks. This gives the scouts more ammo to do there job. They can't afford to miss on these 1st and 2nd rounders. They really need to load up for the 2015 draft. If they don't land the 1st pick for McDavid that year they have to throw a lot of these extra picks for him.

Acquiring an excess of young assets/picks is very wise. Hopefully quite a few of these ready/near ready guys really turn it up in the next two years or so. Then we'll be the buyers at the deadline looking for guys like Vanek to acquire. Fun to think about.

A part of me has absolutely no doubt that Kane will someday play in Buffalo. I don't know if it'll come while he's still playing at a high level, but either way I think it'll happen.

I think we will play in Buffalo when he's close to the end of his career. I don't see him leaving Chicago if he ever leaves.

I think we will play in Buffalo when he's close to the end of his career. I don't see him leaving Chicago if he ever leaves.

Sorry, but i read this about five times, and I'm still confused. What do you mean by this? I think you mean you don't ever see him leaving Chicago

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.