Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

oh please.....NBA protection is NOT clean cut.....there are all kinds of caveats and machinations

http://basketball.re...drafts/detailed

You're missing what I meant. The NBA isn't about choices. It's about yes or no. In the Sabres-Isles situation, it's about a choice.

In the NBA, a top 14 protected pick is given to the other team if it's not in the top 14, and isn't if it is. There is no choice.

In this situation, it is a choice by the Isles. Even if it is top ten, they might not defer.

Edited by DStebb

Islanders blow late lead, lose shootout to Lightning

No lead is safe. Just ask the New York Islanders.

Valtteri Filppula scored twice late in the third period and again in the shootout to help the Tampa Bay Lightning rally from a 2-0 deficit for a 3-2 shootout victory at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Tuesday night.

Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen scored for the Islanders, who've lost five games this season in which they've led by two goals, most in the NHL. Evgeni Nabokov was 2:53 away from a shutout, but instead finished with 34 saves in the loss.

There was a hilarious plieup in front of the NYI net to allow the game to be tied in the waning moments of the 3rd.

457470243_slide.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just looked at the Islanders' schedule -- they have lost 18 out of their last 21 (and 2 of their 3 wins in that stretch have come in the shootout). Vanek has 6 goals in 19 games there, btw.

Holy mackerel.

I think it's safe to say that Vanek won't be re-signing there.

Just looked at the Islanders' schedule -- they have lost 18 out of their last 21 (and 2 of their 3 wins in that stretch have come in the shootout). Vanek has 6 goals in 19 games there, btw.

Holy mackerel.

I think it's safe to say that Vanek won't be re-signing there.

I had a conversation the other day on how this can end well for Snow. No way he gets a 1st and 2nd and a player back for Vanek. Any trade makes him look bad, real bad but it is the Islanders. I really think there is a chance of them imploding next year making their pick much more likely to be in play for worst in the league.

Only way he cleanses it out is he gets a #1 for Vanek and resigns Moulson and even then he still loses because it will be a high#1.

I think if the pick ends up being top 3 they keep it. 4-7 they would consider letting us take it but it may require us giving them one of our late 1sts we get for Miller, Ott, or Moulson. 8 or higher they probably don't use it.

If they asked for us to put in more just to get a pick we already own, we'd be dumb to say yes.

Edited by DStebb

If they asked for us to put in more just to get a pick we already own, we'd be dumb to say yes.

We don't own it. We own their first round pick in 2014 OR 2015. If both Buffalo and them feel that this year is a fluke and next year the pick could be much lower then I can see both sides negotiating some sort of deal to sweeten the put for NYI NOT not to defer.

I think PL F would go the route of rolling the dice that next year will be a high pick as well.

We don't own it. We own their first round pick in 2014 OR 2015. If both Buffalo and them feel that this year is a fluke and next year the pick could be much lower then I can see both sides negotiating some sort of deal to sweeten the put for NYI NOT not to defer.

I think PL F would go the route of rolling the dice that next year will be a high pick as well.

Who cares if it is a high pick or not. Trade all of our picks in the top three rounds to the team with hte first overall. Hopefully that will be two firsts, two seconds and a third.

I had a conversation the other day on how this can end well for Snow. No way he gets a 1st and 2nd and a player back for Vanek. Any trade makes him look bad, real bad but it is the Islanders. I really think there is a chance of them imploding next year making their pick much more likely to be in play for worst in the league.

Only way he cleanses it out is he gets a #1 for Vanek and resigns Moulson and even then he still loses because it will be a high#1.

Snow's already gone that route once. It wasn't as high profile, but they gave up a 4th for Ehrhoff's rights, and then got a lesser 4th from us. That one is probably a bit more embarrassing though since they got absolutely nothing out of that drop in draft order.

Who cares if it is a high pick or not. Trade all of our picks in the top three rounds to the team with hte first overall. Hopefully that will be two firsts, two seconds and a third.

This year's? Is Reinhart really worth all that? Draisaitl is ahead of him is scoring in the WHL and is bigger. Dal Colle is lighting up the OHL. Now, in 2015, it would be worth that and more to get McDavid, but this year (assuming we don't win the lottery, which is certainly possible), I just don't know.

This year's? Is Reinhart really worth all that? Draisaitl is ahead of him is scoring in the WHL and is bigger. Dal Colle is lighting up the OHL. Now, in 2015, it would be worth that and more to get McDavid, but this year (assuming we don't win the lottery, which is certainly possible), I just don't know.

No i am talking about next year

If they're really bad this year, we have no reason to think they won't be next year when the draft is better.

If they are going to keep the pick this year but then ask if we're willing to give them a first in order for them to not defer, then it'd be like giving up a first this year and in 2015 for a pick in this weak draft.

No i am talking about next year

Unfortunately, I don't think you could offer a team ten first rounders next year for McDavid. Teams don't trade a world class talent like that.

Imagine the Isles keeping the pick this year and then we somehow end up with McDavid and Eichel next year? Oh my.

Edited by DStebb

If they're really bad this year, we have no reason to think they won't be next year when the draft is better.

If they are going to keep the pick this year but then ask if we're willing to give them a first in order for them to not defer, then it'd be like giving up a first this year and in 2015 for a pick in this weak draft.

Unfortunately, I don't think you could offer a team ten first rounders next year for McDavid. Teams don't trade a world class talent like that.

Imagine the Isles keeping the pick this year and then we somehow end up with McDavid and Eichel next year? Oh my.

Someone would do it. You just have to give them a bunch of picks. Someone traded the Great One for gosh sake.

Someone would do it. You just have to give them a bunch of picks. Someone traded the Great One for gosh sake.

For a lot of money, which you can't do anymore. If you had the pick to get the next Crosby (exaggerating a little), what would a team have to offer you to trade him away? Remember that after the top 1-3 in most drafts, you're talking about players who will probably be pretty good. So, no matter how many "first round picks" you're talking about, they aren't worth much if they are out of those top 1-3.

For a lot of money, which you can't do anymore. If you had the pick to get the next Crosby (exaggerating a little), what would a team have to offer you to trade him away? Remember that after the top 1-3 in most drafts, you're talking about players who will probably be pretty good. So, no matter how many "first round picks" you're talking about, they aren't worth much if they are out of those top 1-3.

Correct. In the cap era it makes zero sense to trade a #1 overall pick (or #2 or #3 for that matter) when there is a franchise player to be taken. It will almost certainly not happen under this CBA and will absolutely not happen with McDavid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.