Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

If Girgensons continually puts up 45-50 while playing lock down defense against top players, he'll have turned into everything we ever hoped he would.

Agreed. It's not Zemgus point production that is having this fan base worked up.

Fair enough, my bad I wasn't reading closely. But even 55 pts. is #27, between Nugent-Hopkins and Couture. I think 40-45 points is more reasonable on the top end (names like Mike Richards, Schenn, Kessler, Hodgson (!)). I hope you're right, though.

I never would have guessed that the median (#15 in the league by position) top line players are 60-65 point guys.

Median 2nd line guys (#45 in the league by position) are 35-40 point guys

really emphasizes the impact a top of the draft 75-80 point player can have on a team.

Seriously this is mind bending, going to take some time to adjust.

This makes Drew Stafford a slightly above average 2nd line right wing.

I admit that I know absolutely zero about all the draftees this year (and every year), but why is it that whenever I hear someone try and describe Reinhart, whenever they use the word "smart", it just seems like they are searching for something nice to say about him?

I never would have guessed that the median (#15 in the league by position) top line players are 60-65 point guys.

Median 2nd line guys (#45 in the league by position) are 35-40 point guys

really emphasizes the impact a top of the draft 75-80 point player can have on a team.

Seriously this is mind bending, going to take some time to adjust.

This makes Drew Stafford a slightly above average 2nd line right wing.

I think it's either people that have been watching for a long time and remember having multiple 30, 40, and a 50 goal scorer on one team. Now teams are lucky to have a handful over 30. The other side of it is you hear about the good teams more in the news and their top guys are usually going to have a fair number of points. I get tricked into thinking every team is going to have guys with those numbers, but in reality those are the outliers.

I think it's either people that have been watching for a long time and remember having multiple 30, 40, and a 50 goal scorer on one team. Now teams are lucky to have a handful over 30. The other side of it is you hear about the good teams more in the news and their top guys are usually going to have a fair number of points. I get tricked into thinking every team is going to have guys with those numbers, but in reality those are the outliers.

But it makes Drew F'n Stafford a slightly above average second line right wing.

I need a beer.

I admit that I know absolutely zero about all the draftees this year (and every year), but why is it that whenever I hear someone try and describe Reinhart, whenever they use the word "smart", it just seems like they are searching for something nice to say about him?

He has a great sense of humor.

I'm happy to have another person aboard the "Stafford isn't as bad as he's made out to be" bus. Prepare to be ridiculed!

I have taken a lot of hear for defending Stafford as a second line winger. Like it or not there are those whose opinion I trust that think he will be captain this year.

I have taken a lot of hear for defending Stafford as a second line winger. Like it or not there are those whose opinion I trust that think he will be captain this year.

Yes, yes you have. I believe you've even had the audacity to say he cares.

Quick, Eleven: who is your favorite liquor manufacturer? I'd like to make an investment.

Thought this was interesting...

Points per 60 minutes (i.e. adjusted for ice time) for draft eligible guys:

1. Robby Fabbri OHL 4.2

2. Sam Bennett OHL 4.1

3. Leon Draisaitl WHL 4.0

4. Nikolaj Ehlers QMJHL 3.8

5. Sam Reinhart WHL 3.7

BTW - Connor McDavid is ahead of all of the draft eligible guys above as a 16 year old.

Connor McDavid is 17, and he'll be 18 in less than 6 months.

Other than that, I'm lost, lol...it went from draft to Girgenson and Larsson's career NHL goals scored.

Edited by Bob Malooga

I've also heard that he's got a pretty face. *bag over head*

Thought this was interesting...

Points per 60 minutes (i.e. adjusted for ice time) for draft eligible guys:

1. Robby Fabbri OHL 4.2

2. Sam Bennett OHL 4.1

3. Leon Draisaitl WHL 4.0

4. Nikolaj Ehlers QMJHL 3.8

5. Sam Reinhart WHL 3.7

BTW - Connor McDavid is ahead of all of the draft eligible guys above as a 16 year old.

The grain of salt to take with this stat is that guys who play a lot of PK time are at a slight disadvantage.

I'm happy to have another person aboard the "Stafford isn't as bad as he's made out to be" bus. Prepare to be ridiculed!

Yes, yes you have. I believe you've even had the audacity to say he cares.

Quick, Eleven: who is your favorite liquor manufacturer? I'd like to make an investment.

Whoever ultimately owns Maker's Mark will be the beneficiary of your lunacy.

Who are the options? Drew's a nice fella and all, but weren't people making excuses for him for 2 years because grandpa had a poor result on an MRI or something?

I'm starting to think they need to offer Callahan 5x9 for 45.......

Who are the options? Drew's a nice fella and all, but weren't people making excuses for him for 2 years because grandpa had a poor result on an MRI or something?

I'm starting to think they need to offer Callahan 5x9 for 45.......

Give it to Girgensons. He's the player on this team that best embodies those traits and he's just gonna be named C eventually because of what he brings EVERY GAME. No reason they can't jump start the process, especially with this team. There's young and then there's too young. He's young but his work ethic is that of a seasoned vet. That's who you want your other young players to emulate.

Stafford is big, can skate and shoot, and be nasty when he wants to be. Wants to be being the operative phrase. That is the antithesis of captain material. A captain simply can't be someone so prone to going long stretches of going through the motions. If his heart always matched his talent, he'd be a perennial All Star and a great captain. But I don't want our younger players exposed to his off and on performance, let alone be led by it.

GO SABRES!!!

Give it to Girgensons. He's the player on this team that best embodies those traits and he's just gonna be named C eventually because of what he brings EVERY GAME. No reason they can't jump start the process, especially with this team. There's young and then there's too young. He's young but his work ethic is that of a seasoned vet. That's who you want your other young players to emulate.

Stafford is big, can skate and shoot, and be nasty when he wants to be. Wants to be being the operative phrase. That is the antithesis of captain material. A captain simply can't be someone so prone to going long stretches of going through the motions. If his heart always matched his talent, he'd be a perennial All Star and a great captain. But I don't want our younger players exposed to his off and on performance, let alone be led by it.

GO SABRES!!!

Girgensons is not ready to be captain.

I love the kid, but he failed to engage anyone after the whistle in a half dozen incidents towards the end of the season. It's one thing to play smart and not take selfish penalties during play, but you also have to let it be known that you aren't going to sit around and watch your teammates take sh!t. He hasn't done that yet at the NHL level.

His work ethic is great. He isn't ready.

I said the same thing, but reinhart is on the lower end of even strength points per 60 minutes as well. The list was posted a few posts after the one u quoted

Thanks for pointing that out. I missed that one. Very interesting though. The 5 on 5 stats seem to support those who say Bennett is a hard worker. Can we assume the difference between 'total points for 60' and '5 on 5 points for 60' should be predominantly PP production? If so, Draisaitl (1.1) and Reinhart (0.9) were better than Ehlers and Bennett (0.6 each).

Edited by BagBoy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.