Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Tavares injury could be huge. We might get top 2 picks this year or they defer and we are in line for couple of top picks next year

I assume they'll defer because that's what I would do. If you have a chance to avoid giving away a top 5 pick, you have to take it and hope you can get better next year.

I assume they'll defer because that's what I would do. If you have a chance to avoid giving away a top 5 pick, you have to take it and hope you can get better next year.

But what if Tavares injury is long term and takes him into next year? They could be really bad next year with no Tavares, no Vanek and no one wanting to play for them. Do you risk giving away a potential franchise changer player?

Edited by tom webster

But what if Tavares injury is long term and takes him into next year? They could be really bad next year with no Tavares, no Vanek and no one wanting to play for them. Do you risk giving away a potential franchise changer player?

If Tavares is out next year *and* if they have a new GM that can accept a "let it burn" approach to his first season, I guess I could see it happening.

I mean, they might defer even without the Tavares injury being a factor. I don't know what they're thinking. But it seems like you'd want to use that option to avoid giving up a super high draft pick if you can at all.

In 3 years I want to draft this kid. Jakub Chychrun who is currently 15, 6'2"- 200 lb defence playing on a Toronto midget team. Already saying he's the next big one. Holds dual citizenship and hails from Florida but moved North for hockey. T.S.N. currently has a write up on him and his dad a former N.H.L.er.

In 3 years I want to draft this kid. Jakub Chychrun who is currently 15, 6'2"- 200 lb defence playing on a Toronto midget team. Already saying he's the next big one. Holds dual citizenship and hails from Florida but moved North for hockey. T.S.N. currently has a write up on him and his dad a former N.H.L.er.

Interesting if his game translates when he's not an adult-sized person playing kids. Or if he keeps growing; I was 6'2" when I was 14 and I'm 6'2" now 20+ years later.

In three years I hope we're not still talking about drafting "the next one."

I don't think you can walk away from even a 5% chance of landing McDavid. They pretty much have to give us the pick this year.

I don't think you can walk away from even a 5% chance of landing McDavid. They pretty much have to give us the pick this year.

I would if I were GM and very uncertain of next year. I think however Garth Snow is likely to defer and assume his team will be better next year. The problem I see for them is that, their goaltending and defense will still be bad next season unless they get a couple of high end UFA guys. This means IMPO that they will be a bottom 10 team against next season. They have allowed the most goals against in the NHL, they are sieve on defense.

And if you lose out on that billion, you still walk away with $10000, just a year later than originally planned.

In all likelihood yes. I think that is how you should view it. Sure you could have a resurgence next year but it isn't probable consider the defense and the gt situation. Also next years draft is supposedly deeper so why not roll the dice.

i chuckled

Me too.

Also, I just realized you're from the Finger Lakes. I know we're suppose to be enemies until later tomorrow but damn that's a nice area! We often camp at Watkins Glen State Park. I love how you can hit up like 10 wineries on the way down there too. Plus the annual Wine Festival is pretty sweet.

Me too.

Also, I just realized you're from the Finger Lakes. I know we're suppose to be enemies until later tomorrow but damn that's a nice area! We often camp at Watkins Glen State Park. I love how you can hit up like 10 wineries on the way down there too. Plus the annual Wine Festival is pretty sweet.

damn right man! I'm on the north east side of Ithaca...about a mile or two up Cayuga lake.

Me too.

damn right man! I'm on the north east side of Ithaca...about a mile or two up Cayuga lake.

I grew up near Keuka Lake and gotta say I miss how beautiful home is sometimes.

That being said we have updates:

Above you will find the predictions for a full 68 game junior season from some of the top prospects. For those who have played additional games I have adjusted those numbers. I also added in Jake Virtanen.

Michael Dal Colle: 32g, 42a, 74pts, 52gp = 42g, 55a, 97pts, 68gp

Sam Bennett: 28g, 47a, 75pts, 45gp = 42g, 71a, 113pts, 68gp

Sam Reinhart: 25g, 45a, 70pts, 41gp = 41g, 75a, 116pts, 68gp

Jake Virtanen: 32g, 18a, 50pts, 53gp = 41g, 23a, 64pts, 68gp

That is the update from the last time I did this. Sometime after the Olympics perhaps I will do it again for fun.

2/20/14

Michael Dal Colle: 35g, 48a, 83pts, 57gp = 42g, 57a, 99pts, 68gp

Sam Bennett: 32g, 50a, 82pts, 49gp = 44g, 69a, 113pts, 68gp

Samson Reinhart: 32g, 56a, 88pts, 48gp = 45g, 79a, 124pts, 68gp

Jake Virtanen: 38g, 21a, 59pts, 60gp = 43g, 24a, 67pts, 68gp

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.