GDT: Buffalo at New York Islanders 10-15-13 at 7:00 PM

26CornerBlitz

Game thoughts

- It took until the second period, but something clicked last night. All of a sudden they looked like an NHL team.

- If Ott is going to fight Tavares, he might as well fight him.

- Miller played well again and you could just sense he was not going to lose.

- When RR announce Vanek, Ennis and Foligno as his shootout guys, my first reaction was Ennis? He had a nice SO goal.

- First time all season they were ahead and it took to the shootout of game 8 to get there.

- That puck that hit Girgenson was quite literally a seeing eye puck. There were a number of people it could have hit and somehow made it through to him. That's just bad luck.

- That was a pretty chippy game for a couple of clubs that really don't have a history with each other.

- Badly outshot again. At least they had 32 of their own.

- Ennis was in the right place, right time to get a gift goal for a team that sorely needed one

- Foligno at center. I guess everyone is a center for the Sabres these days

It seems as, at least for now, Stafford is back on his horse riding to battle. He seemed to have short spurts of skill in the last couple games but this time he played nearly a full 60 min.

Myers seems to be waking up..... sadly he's one of those slow wakers.

1 Win we want 2!

I thought Myers looked awful. Missing several "easy" passes, playing out of position a lot, and generally falling down / getting tossed around a lot.

That is not true. Buffalo had the lead against Tampa Bay last week after Cody Hodgson opened the scoring with a power play goal.

I blame NBC then. Because they said that the other night and I believed it.

That was the first time I heard Dunleavy.

No one will be RJ, but I thought he was very smooth and professional.

Seemed to have a good grasp of the team already and even had a few apologist lines ready for their play. :P

Did he really say Van-tastic when Thomas scored in the shootout?

Is this Dunleavy on the call? I like him.
What did ppl think of the play by play last night? Good? Bad? Indifferent? I liked it after a little while. It took time to get use to a different voice.
I thought he was very good.
That was the first time I heard Dunleavy. No one will be RJ, but I thought he was very smooth and professional. Seemed to have a good grasp of the team already and even had a few apologist lines ready for their play. :P Did he really say Van-tastic when Thomas scored in the shootout?

Glad to see the guy getting some attention here. I was very favorably impressed. As others have noted, you're not going to replace RJ and it would be a mistake to try to bring someone in who was pushing a comparable level of character and flair (the flourishes in his style were developed over time, btw -- he started out calling things fairly straight). Dunleavy has a good voice and calls a very nice game. Nice job by the organ-eye-zay-shun bringing him on.

Glad to see the guy getting some attention here. I was very favorably impressed. As others have noted, you're not going to replace RJ and it would be a mistake to try to bring someone in who was pushing a comparable level of character and flair (the flourishes in his style were developed over time, btw -- he started out calling things fairly straight). Dunleavy has a good voice and calls a very nice game. Nice job by the organ-eye-zay-shun bringing him on.

I talked about him in the last GDT. PA, too, but PA didn't have a favorable impression. I kind of like him; reminds me of an olde skool Hockey Night in Canada PBP guy.

I talked about him in the last GDT. PA, too, but PA didn't have a favorable impression. I kind of like him; reminds me of an olde skool Hockey Night in Canada PBP guy.

I've been off the grid a while; I'll have to go check out the other thread.

I agree with your take -- he just sounds the part.

Pshaw on PA -- Dunleavy sounds to be as solid as they come.

My first time hearing Dunleavy as well. I was really worried he would be a rambler or story teller like Emrick (or most "PBP" guys these days). But straight play-by-play for the most part. I can totally live with him... and may even grow to really like him once he finds his Buffalo groove.

Archived