Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

How many people are also rooting for a tank next year, as well?

http://www.sportsnet...-at-same-stage/

I've been thinking this even before I saw that article, but I will be rooting against us in every game next year, too (except against Boston, Toronto and Philly).

So many fans sit there and moan about how they wish they had a superstar like Crosby, but they call people who root for their team to loser not real fans. Too many people want these stars but aren't willing to do what it takes to get them. I'm sorry, but you're not getting them if you don't draft them.

EDIT: I use "rooting" loosely. I don't sit there during games and complain when we score/get excited when the other team scores. I just leave the emotion out of the games.

Edited by DStebb

Sabres did what they had to do to get Crosby but weren't lucky enough to win the lottery. The tank strategy fails right there.

On top of that, getting one superstar isn't enough. You have to get a supporting cast as well. Perreault needed Martin and Robert to be elite (he was already real good). Gretsky needed Messier, Crosby needed Malkin. Lafontaine and Mogilny were at there best when they came together. Jordan needed Pippin (NBA crossover). A common mistake some GM's make is they pay big for a superskater and then 10 cents for their wingers and the results are below expectations. I don't believe Darcy is capable of seeing that, and will likely fail to rebuild this team for that reason. Tank or no tank, if Darcy is GM, more failure will follow.

The real question is, what would it take for this team to be the worst team in Buffalo Sports History? The current benchmark is the 1971 Buffalo Bills. They finished last in defense and last in offense. Their 1-13 record was good for a winning percentage of .071.

The current Sabres record is good for a winning percentage of .13. They've got a lot of work to do in order to make Buffalo Sports history. Over an 82 game season, they'd have to accumulate less than 6 wins. I think they can do it without Miller on this team. :flirt:

Edited by Yuri Olesha

Sabres did what they had to do to get Crosby but weren't lucky enough to win the lottery. The tank strategy fails right there.

That lottery was completely different considering the lockout. It's not a 100% successful strategy, but at least it's not a 100% failure like every other strategy in Sabres history. It's time to get real and realize what it takes.

On top of that, getting one superstar isn't enough. You have to get a supporting cast as well. Perreault needed Martin and Robert to be elite (he was already real good). Gretsky needed Messier, Crosby needed Malkin. Lafontaine and Mogilny were at there best when they came together. Jordan needed Pippin (NBA crossover). A common mistake some GM's make is they pay big for a superskater and then 10 cents for their wingers and the results are below expectations. I don't believe Darcy is capable of seeing that, and will likely fail to rebuild this team for that reason. Tank or no tank, if Darcy is GM, more failure will follow.

Crosby needed Malkin? 102 point his rookie year without him.

And that's the idea of being bad this year and next year. That's the idea of stocking up on these picks right now. Those players will supplement McDavid plus whoever we pick this year.

Great news! The Sabres are currently on pace to break the 74-75 Capitals longstanding record of lowest winning percentage in an NHL season - .131.

The current Sabres record is good for a winning percentage of .125.

It's going to take an incredible 12 game losing streak to catch up to the 71' Buffalo Bills jawdropping feat of 1 win per 14 games played, but I think they have it in them. Come on Sabres! .071 is the benchmark. We've seen worse!

Zero home wins in 9 played is quite an achievement in and of itself. Just 5 more home losses and they'll have themselves tied for another incredible record: most consecutive home losses in NHL history (14).

They just need to trade Ryan "Record Wrecker" Miller NOW to be certain of the accomplishment. Go Sabres! You can do it! Get 'er done Darcy!

I think in the last quarter of the season we make a run to take spot nr. 29 from the Flyers.

Doubt it. Flyers goons will be pumped up after getting away with the latest dance. I do have a terrible feeling we'll end up somewhere around 27th just because why not?

While I firmly believe it's just about impossible for this team to maintain its current under-30 point pace, they can absolutely flirt with 55-60. Impressive, in a sense.

What's with the pessimism? ~30 pts is doable, given the circumstances.

Where are they going to get 20 points. After watching last nights debacle, who do they play 9 times let alone 14 times that they can beat in order to get to 30 points let alone 20. Just not seeing it. Rolston is horrible as a coach and this teams is playing down to his level. Oof, I wondering if they can even get to 10 points at this rate. Maybe through ties?

This is why Mic is my avatar right now.

For Sabres forward Cody McCormick, the special moments come in those first seconds following a fight, when he looks over to the bench and sees his teammates cheering his ferocious effort. “They seem really appreciative of it. They recognize it,” McCormick said. “That’s something that somebody in my role can really appreciate when you come across the ice and everybody’s standing up for you. It makes everything you do, every punch, worthwhile for the team.” So far, McCormick has been punching frequently this season. Entering Saturday’s 6-3 loss to the Anaheim Ducks inside the First Niagara Center, the 30-year-old had five fights in 11 appearances. “It’s a lot to start a year,” McCormick said. “But at the same time, I want to contribute, hopefully, give good energy to turning this thing around.”

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/cody-mccormick-trying-to-spark-struggling-sabres-by-fighting-frequently/

It's sad. Little Codys don't dream about ending up this way. The system creates them, chews them up and spits them out. Seriously, he risks life and limb and future wellness to try and motivate this group of guys — or any group? Does it ever work? Can we be honest here? Fighting exists because it puts a certain number of fannies in the seats and in front of screens.

That said, I certainly don't blame Cody. What he does has to be respected. How can you not respect it? It's dumb as hell, that's all.

"It's a great honor," McCormick said of his 'C'. "I wear it with a lot of pride."

McCormick had never even been an assistant captain before with the Bulls. But Hulton said it shouldn't be a surprise to see who is leading the Belleville side now.

"Internally, we knew Cody would be the leader of this team one day," he said. "But I'm not sure we ever imagined Cody being a 30-35 goal-scorer in this league."

www.thefreelibrary.com/McCormick+hands-down+choice+for+captain.+(National+News).-a0100767905

Edited by PASabreFan

So let's see, rebuilding means getting rid of all the good players and keeping the stiffs like Stafford on the roster to 'train' the rookies?

Anyone notice that national sports writers mention that no other modern NHL team has ever approached rebuilding like the Buffalo Sabres currently are? Probably because they think it's ridiculous, and more likely to fail than succeed?

The Sabres are becoming an example of yet another Buffalo team with leadership that somehow thinks that the proven formulas that other teams have employed to achieve success aren't necessary, and that they have a new or better approach. The Buffalo Bills have tried to do things "their way" with bargain basement coaching/GMs and annointing backup QBs as the starter, and it's got them setting records for futility and missing playoffs.

What's with the pessimism? ~30 pts is doable, given the circumstances.

Haha, maybe. But I'm still not convinced this is the worst team in NHL history. Hell, even getting 50 points makes it the worst team of the last decade. I just think we'll string together some wins when teams sleepwalk a whole game and start trying to preserve themselves for the playoffs.

Where are they going to get 20 points. After watching last nights debacle, who do they play 9 times let alone 14 times that they can beat in order to get to 30 points let alone 20. Just not seeing it. Rolston is horrible as a coach and this teams is playing down to his level. Oof, I wondering if they can even get to 10 points at this rate. Maybe through ties?

I think we'll pull off a handful of upsets that makes this season somewhat respectable.

Here's a freaky deaky stat:

Our points leader is Cody Hodgson with 5 goals and 7 assists.

After him? Marcus Foligno with 2 goals and 4 assists. And he missed 3 games!

That's sort of amazing.

What is more amazing is Matt Moulson is already tied for 3rd on the team in points with 4... in only 3 games. That's more point than Stafford and Ennis who have each played 16 games. Ouch.

What is more amazing is Matt Moulson is already tied for 3rd on the team in points with 4... in only 3 games. That's more point than Stafford and Ennis who have each played 16 games. Ouch.

And equal to Tyler Myer's 4 points after 16 games (who is already minus 8 for the season!)

Speaking of minuses, Stafford's is creeping up there too - minus 5 already after only 1/5th of the season. And as you say, only 3 points after 16 games played, and 16 minutes of ice time per game on average. And yet he's still on the roster. Guess they need him to train the new rookies on the apathetic, lazy Buffalo system.

And equal to Tyler Myer's 4 points after 16 games (who is already minus 8 for the season!)

Speaking of minuses, Stafford's is creeping up there too - minus 5 already after only 1/5th of the season. And as you say, only 3 points after 16 games played, and 16 minutes of ice time per game on average. And yet he's still on the roster. Guess they need him to train the new rookies on the apathetic, lazy Buffalo system.

I don't understand why they at least don't work hard. They have nothing to lose at this point. They can't be afraid to make a mistake can they?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.