Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

Early hasek year teams where far worse. I havent seen this team be pinned in their zone for 3 consecutive shifts. Only difference is this team doesnt have a hasek to make them entertaining

This team is the worst possession team in the league. So if you haven't seen them pinned for three straight shifts, either you haven't been paying attention, or it actually hasn't happened but will. I'm pretty sure the first period of the Vancouver game had this happen.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Looking at the team stats on NHL.com paints a pretty grim picture. We're worst in the NHL in shots per game (25.1 - no one else is even close to that level of futility) and 2nd worst in shots against per game (35.7 - only Ottawa is worse).

Our team +/- is at -15 (only the Rangers are worse at -16). What is interesting is statistically we're a much worse team at home (-13) than on the road (-2).

When the game is tied, the Sabres' even strength fenwick for percent is 37.2%...dead last in a league, a full 5 points behind 29th place (Rangers at 42.2%). When trailing, this jumps to 48% (29th in the league, inexplicably ahead of Detroit). So yea, the whole "they were so good in the 3rd, why can't they do it all the time!" is clearly just the other team taking the foot off the gas. I think most of us knew this, but there may have been a few holdouts left :P

When the game is tied, the Sabres' even strength fenwick for percent is 37.2%...dead last in a league, a full 5 points behind 29th place (Rangers at 42.2%). When trailing, this jumps to 48% (29th in the league, inexplicably ahead of Detroit). So yea, the whole "they were so good in the 3rd, why can't they do it all the time!" is clearly just the other team taking the foot off the gas. I think most of us knew this, but there may have been a few holdouts left :P

Aha! Victory!

Does this mean you are coming around to the correct view on our other disagreements?

Aha! Victory!

Does this mean you are coming around to the correct view on our other disagreements?

Are you confusing me with someone else? At least this season I've never taken the position that our third period competitiveness is anything more than the other team going into Alamo mode.

PS: I'm still waiting for you to come around on the whole Rick Nash is a superstar close to Crosby thing. Any time now :P

Are you confusing me with someone else? At least this season I've never taken the position that our third period competitiveness is anything more than the other team going into Alamo mode.

PS: I'm still waiting for you to come around on the whole Rick Nash is a superstar close to Crosby thing. Any time now :P

Who's Rick Nash?

Well, I've never put Nash on par with Crosby, who is in a class by himself in this generation IMHO. I continue to think Nash is a much better player than Vanek, Heatley, Gaborik and other snipers of that ilk -- and I expect you'll see him playing a big role again for the Canadian Olympic team. It's also worth noting that he played last year for a pretty defensive-minded coach in Tortorella and has been hurt this year.

As for the Sabres' 3rd period competitiveness, I think it's of a piece with the "key saves at key times" and "no goals by the top 6 in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a 7-game playoff series" debates that we've had.

I'll look forward to your capitulation.

Well, I've never put Nash on par with Crosby, who is in a class by himself in this generation IMHO. I continue to think Nash is a much better player than Vanek, Heatley, Gaborik and other snipers of that ilk -- and I expect you'll see him playing a big role again for the Canadian Olympic team. It's also worth noting that he played last year for a pretty defensive-minded coach in Tortorella and has been hurt this year.

As for the Sabres' 3rd period competitiveness, I think it's of a piece with the "key saves at key times" and "no goals by the top 6 in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a 7-game playoff series" debates that we've had.

I'll look forward to your capitulation.

I know you didn't say Nash was on Crosby's level, just some friendly chiding :)

As far as capitulation goes, never! I simply don't think score effects on how teams play is even remotely the same thing as "clutchness" which I believe is what you're getting at.

I know you didn't say Nash was on Crosby's level, just some friendly chiding :)

As far as capitulation goes, never! I simply don't think score effects on how teams play is even remotely the same thing as "clutchness" which I believe is what you're getting at.

I appreciate the chiding -- I think my response sounded more uptight than I intended.

I was indeed getting at "clutchness." But I think it's the flip side of the notion that it's easier to produce when the other team has taken its foot off the gas -- i.e. it's harder to produce when the pressure is at its highest and the other team is giving the max.

I've got time to wait for you to come around...

I appreciate the chiding -- I think my response sounded more uptight than I intended.

I was indeed getting at "clutchness." But I think it's the flip side of the notion that it's easier to produce when the other team has taken its foot off the gas -- i.e. it's harder to produce when the pressure is at its highest and the other team is giving the max.

I've got time to wait for you to come around...

I agree it's harder to produce when the other team is giving its max--I just think that's more dependent upon the score than the period.

This is the clash that doesn't end, it just goes on and on my friend...

(Yes, I hate myself for that last bit)

the guys who blog about hockey for cbs (cbs!!!) are my favorites. this piece is a good one.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24156319/buffalo-sabres-taking-long-road-to-rebuild-but-right-one

it's a longer read than i anticipated. the paragraph that caught my eye:

What makes the Sabres rebuild so much more interesting is that this looks like it is going to be one that first begins with stripping the club down to the studs and almost starting from scratch. It is the kind that is long and painful, but it may be the only thing Buffalo has left to try and build an eventual contending team. I don't know that we've seen anything quite like it in the salary cap era.

The bad news keeps getting worse for Darcy Regier's Sabres. With last night's game, we've played 1/5th of the entire season. Gentlemen, the news is not good

-Goals For Per game - WORST in the entire league at only 1.47. Last night we lost to the SECOND worst team in this statistic - the Rangers are only 1.67, but someone managed to play above average against Regier's Sabres.

-Goals Against - 10th worst in the league at 2.87, and that's despite having one of the best goalies in the league in the net.

- Differential - Goals For vs Goals Against - WORST in the league at -1.4

-Shots fired - WORST in the league at only 25.3 shots. This statistic probably paints a prettier picture than reality, honestly. I've noticed the bulk of the Sabres shots are in "garbage time" during the later half of the 3rd period where the opposing team is hunkering down and going into "prevent mode".

-Shots against - 3rd worst in the league at 35.9 shots against per game.

-Shots fired vs Shots against differential - WORST IN THE LEAGUE at -10.6

-PPG - tied for 4th worst at 5 PPG

PPGA - 8th worst in the league

Power Play percentage - 4th worst in the league at only 10.9%

Total points - 5 pts. WORST in the league - the next worst, Philly, at 6 points - has played 4 fewer games than the Sabres

The stats keep getting worse for the team. In 5 significant team statistics, the Buffalo Sabres are the WORST in hockey. In another 3, they're in the bottom 5. The other 2 that I listed above are bottom 10.

These are just dreadful statistics. The Sabres are actually making the 3-5 Bills somehow look like a successful, well-run organization in comparison. Darcy Regier needs to get pounded on/hounded by sports writers, commentators, and the sports media every single time he steps in front of a podium until he fixes this team, or Pegula gets someone else to do the job.

-

The bad news keeps getting worse for Darcy Regier's Sabres. With last night's game, we've played 1/5th of the entire season. Gentlemen, the news is not good

-Goals For Per game - WORST in the entire league at only 1.47. Last night we lost to the SECOND worst team in this statistic - the Rangers are only 1.67, but someone managed to play above average against Regier's Sabres.

-Goals Against - 10th worst in the league at 2.87, and that's despite having one of the best goalies in the league in the net.

- Differential - Goals For vs Goals Against - WORST in the league at -1.4

-Shots fired - WORST in the league at only 25.3 shots. This statistic probably paints a prettier picture than reality, honestly. I've noticed the bulk of the Sabres shots are in "garbage time" during the later half of the 3rd period where the opposing team is hunkering down and going into "prevent mode".

-Shots against - 3rd worst in the league at 35.9 shots against per game.

-Shots fired vs Shots against differential - WORST IN THE LEAGUE at -10.6

-PPG - tied for 4th worst at 5 PPG

PPGA - 8th worst in the league

Power Play percentage - 4th worst in the league at only 10.9%

Total points - 5 pts. WORST in the league - the next worst, Philly, at 6 points - has played 4 fewer games than the Sabres

The stats keep getting worse for the team. In 5 significant team statistics, the Buffalo Sabres are the WORST in hockey. In another 3, they're in the bottom 5. The other 2 that I listed above are bottom 10.

These are just dreadful statistics. The Sabres are actually making the 3-5 Bills somehow look like a successful, well-run organization in comparison. Darcy Regier needs to get pounded on/hounded by sports writers, commentators, and the sports media every single time he steps in front of a podium until he fixes this team, or Pegula gets someone else to do the job.

-

at least our PK is decent ;)

Well the worst team in NHL history was an expansion team, the 74-75 Wasington Capitals. The expansion Sharks lost 71 games back in the early 90s. It is still early in the season, but it is hard to think of too many non-expansion teams that have been as bad as this year's Sabres.

http://en.wikipedia....Capitals_season

TSN.Ca Power rankings.....dead last with this tidbit "The haul of draft picks has begun and it's going to be fascinating to see how this season turns out for the Sabres. Right now, it looks like they could be one of the worst teams in recent memory, only to get worse once they deal G Ryan Miller." The front office must be proud of how they spent our ticket money.

TSN.Ca Power rankings.....dead last with this tidbit "The haul of draft picks has begun and it's going to be fascinating to see how this season turns out for the Sabres. Right now, it looks like they could be one of the worst teams in recent memory, only to get worse once they deal G Ryan Miller." The front office must be proud of how they spent our ticket money.

The response from FNC is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-eCX8guIVM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.