GDT: Tampa Bay at Buffalo 10-8-13 at 7:30 PM

26CornerBlitz

man. i'd be delighted if porter had hecht-ian upside in the offensize zone.

i doubt very much that he does.

:o

Here's a cut and paste of Hecht's point totals in his (mostly) full NHL seasons through 07-08. (I dropped 2002-2003 because it looked like he was injured for most of it.)

2000-01 44

2001-02 40

2003-04 52

2005-06 42 (64 GP)

2006-07 56

2007-08 49

I was just about to do this, too. Even in 2010, he put up 42. Was he overpaid (at the time)? Surely. Was he a less-than-average player (especially when considering him in his own end)? Surely not.

Hecht also had 3 40+ point seasons at the height of the dead puck era. I'd have to check at home later, but I suspect some of the decline in his aggregate scoring totals was due to missing time. On Porter, I guess I was after some sort of skill set analysis to demonstrate how in the world you think he's a 40+ point player. I see next to nothing from an offensive skill perspective to think he can put those numbers up.

I guess I always thought of Hecht having good hockey sense but essentially no scoring skills -- i.e. he wasn't a good shooter or a good passer -- so Porter, who I think (and RR seems also to think) also has good hockey sense and good feet but limited skills, just seems to have similar potential. But I certainly can't argue that he is a nifty passer or puckhandler or any other specific skill.

I'll admit that I'm probably underrating Hecht's offensive skills. But I think I watched 95% of his games post-lockout and I don't remember ever seeing him make a skilled offensive play.

In a lot of ways Larsson projects to be another Hecht.

(Armia is the new Stafford, Grigorenko the new Connolly, Flynn is Pominville, Girgensons is Gaustad, and don't worry, there's a Roy on the way in the first round this year. Excited about the rebuild yet?)

I guess I always thought of Hecht having good hockey sense but essentially no scoring skills -- i.e. he wasn't a good shooter or a good passer -- so Porter, who I think (and RR seems also to think) also has good hockey sense and good feet but limited skills, just seems to have similar potential. But I certainly can't argue that he is a nifty passer or puckhandler or any other specific skill.

I'll admit that I'm probably underrating Hecht's offensive skills. But I think I watched 95% of his games post-lockout and I don't remember ever seeing him make a skilled offensive play.

Hecht is the Scott Radecic of hockey players.....

I might be one of the few on here that doesn't mind Doc. I don't get exercised by the studio staff either.

Doc doesn't bother me, Mike Milbury is a tool and Keith Jones is just not that bright. The NBC could do a lot better.

I hate you.

Really, agreed, his comments were just cruel, is there a Sabres Space Penalty box, somewhere we could all take turns beating on him?.. Figuratively that is.

I'm not sure it matters much. I personally like Larsson but it's a toss up.

Larsson really has hustle to his game; I guess when you consider that Larsson is younger, he might have a little more pep in his step.

I agree with you that it is a toss up; I would like to see Larsson get a little more time to prove himself.

Why not its not like anyone is putting up huge numbers.

Foligno is a beast!

I liked Myers taking that penalty; nice to see the changes.

Archived