GDT: Tampa Bay at Buffalo 10-8-13 at 7:30 PM

26CornerBlitz

Who on the Sabres team could have made that shot that Tampa made on their first goal? A tiny gap between Enroth's shoulder and the top of the goal. Most of our guys seem to aim for dead center on the team logo on the goalie's chest.

How do you know if he wasn't aiming for the chest and missed?

So I have been reading a lot of peoples posts about games and trying to watch for certain types of things occurring. I have noticed Hodgson's corner play is lacking and he is going to the boards soft. I have also noticed that Stafford truly is a lazy player. I don't mean he doesn't care but more he likes to watch plays develop in the defensive zone and is much more of a passenger unless he has the puck. Ristolainen I don't notice all that often so I tried to watch him every play. I noticed that compared to how much he stood out for his play in the first game, which was bad, he was 10x more calm last night. He made good plays and held on to the puck. He had some hits but in his own zone he needs to be more physical when it comes to getting the puck back.

Grigorenko is clearly mentally to young. I think he does have the talent and I do see improvement btw game 1 and now. He is trying to get more involved and I still hold out hope for him. Girgensons on his line has been a revelation and those two in a couple of years really could be dynamite. Grigorenko does go into the corners better than Hodgson but he is still soft and needs to be far more aggressive. His defensive game is somewhat of a concern. You can see in these games that he is playing above the dots (I believe intentionally) hoping to get a break out. This leaves Zemgus to go down low. You see a similar thing in the offensive zone but to a lesser extent.

Marcus Foligno... deceptively more talented than you would think and able to run anyone and anything over. Last night showed why Foligno is vital to this team. He creates offensive because he is physical and actually possesses talent. I noticed Vanek and Hodgson had more chances with him around. Still I hope he doesn't regress to his weird stafford dipsy doodle ways. Be a bull Marcus.

Tyler Myers... Half the time he closes gaps well and pushes guys off the puck. The other times he looks lost in his own zone. I think that is who he is. Good some times and painful to watch others. His passing and poise with the puck has improved (from last year) but I worry he mentally will never be able to think the game at a high enough speed.

Jamie McBain, I think a couple of us saw some light in this guy. The rumored PP skills manifested and he actually had another goal that was bizarrely called off. Defensively he needs some work. Now it could have been a first game sorta thing but he was a step behind in his own zone on several plays and he clearly is not going to be physically imposing. In the offensive zone he passed well and used some sort of voodoo or 1 timer as they call it to get pucks to the net. His wind up is fast and shot hard. I actually am starting to cheer for this guy and I hope he makes it.

Final thought: Mike Weber. Here comes the man crush. While I was quite sad at how average Weber's play was through the first games, last night he reminded me why I love him. He did the simple things. He was physical yet clean (he could have leveled St. Louis but rightly stopped) and once he separated the puck from the opposition he calmly skated to space and then executed some good passes out of the zone. Weber is solid and we could use some solid on this team.

Expected play from some players. I was reading an article on MacKinnon and in it there was a statement about players adjusting to the NHL speed. It basically stated that most players can make a quick play but a player really gets it when he can hesitate for a second and make an even better quick play. They were talking about how MacKinnon already gets does that. What I see with the Sabres are a bunch of individuals who for the most part are content to just whack the puck in some direction when it comes near them.

While they are bad I think this also speaks to coaching. I'm seeing some very bad strategies from Rolston. They are far too passive and anyone with a brain should know that if you let a team gain speed through the neutral zone they will usually end up with a solid offensive pressure. This is happening all the time. In addition, the Sabres like to pass to a wing who is covered on the breakout. This leads to them throwing the puck BACK into the defensive zone.

I've given up on Tyler Myers. At best right now he's worth 5/6... I would sit him. He's the worst defender on the ice. He misses the net, turns the puck over, rarely takes anyone off the puck. This OT discussion about his positioning.. he trapped himself behind the net in a 4 on 4 situation. That's the worst thing you can do. Hodgson is not supposed to be a guy who can clear the front of the net. Myers got a really good view of that goal. Hodgson has plenty of issues but Myers doesn't help at all. He's attempting far too many stick checks and players are skating right through them.

Foligno hesitated constantly and let the play develop. He played a solid game.

Enroth is fantastic. His lateral speed is very good. Even if he appeared slow on Stamkos' wrap around attempt I think he had to hug the near side long enough to make sure Stamkos didn't catch him leaving early. Once Stamkos had a step on Ehrhoff that was a clear possibility. The shallower, narrower nets also allows the puck to get around the net faster, something goalies have to adjust to as well.

The team has signs of improving but has a long way to go. There is still not enough hustle and they are very slow to react and pressure the opposition. This is critical and until they do that they will be on the wrong end of the shooting gallery.

Foligno hesitated constantly and let the play develop. He played a solid game.

This^ Foligno hesitated in a good way. He will hold the puck that extra second or fake a pass or do just about anything to give himself a little more time to make a good play as opposed to any play. Marcus Foligno has been sorely missed.

Well, my preseason optimism is quickly disintegrating.

My game notes:

- Foligno looked great and definitely pumped some life into Ennis and Stafford. That line had a number of chances.

- Stafford is never going to be a real goal-scorer again. He's a respectable 2-way player, but he has no business in a top-6 role. Yet another upper-middle-class contract given by DR to a lower-middle-class player.

- Ott didn't exactly mesh well with Hodgson and Vanek, but that line also showed signs of life. Hodgson in particular looked better. Vanek didn't do much.

- I thought Griggy took a step back last night -- he was pretty much invisible. I wouldn't be upset if he got healthy-scratched and Zemgus (or Larsson) took that center spot next game.

- Very good game by Enroth.

- I hate to say it but I thought Myers also took a step back last night. He missed the net on a few point shots, had a bad D-zone turnover and was in outer space on the GWG. There is no way he should've been parked where he was.

- Having said that, the Sabres easily could've won that game -- which means they were close in 3 out of 4 games this year. They're getting great goaltending and pretty good D-zone play -- they just don't have enough skill to light the lamp if guys like Vanek, Ennis, Stafford and Myers aren't producing offense.

My game notes:

- Foligno looked great and definitely pumped some life into Ennis and Stafford. That line had a number of chances.

- Stafford is never going to be a real goal-scorer again. He's a respectable 2-way player, but he has no business in a top-6 role. Yet another upper-middle-class contract given by DR to a lower-middle-class player.

- Ott didn't exactly mesh well with Hodgson and Vanek, but that line also showed signs of life. Hodgson in particular looked better. Vanek didn't do much.

- I thought Griggy took a step back last night -- he was pretty much invisible. I wouldn't be upset if he got healthy-scratched and Zemgus (or Larsson) took that center spot next game.

- I hate to say it but I thought Myers also took a step back last night. He missed the net on a few point shots, had a bad D-zone turnover and was in outer space on the GWG. There is no way he should've been parked where he was.

- Having said that, the Sabres easily could've won that game -- which means they were close in 3 out of 4 games this year. They're getting great goaltending and pretty good D-zone play -- they just don't have enough skill to light the lamp if guys like Vanek, Ennis, Stafford and Myers aren't producing offense.

Funny you should mention that

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl

Larsson centering Girgensons-Flynn, while Grigorenko holding Hodgson's spot with Ott-Vanek. Too early to tell but patience may be out w) 25

I really hope Rolston isn't impatient with Grigorenko already. Just let the guy f'n play. Another year of jerking him around is the worst possible thing for his development.

I'm not saying Rolston shouldn't bench him or scold him, but please don't put him on the fourth line or send him back to juniors.

I really hope Rolston isn't impatient with Grigorenko already. Just let the guy f'n play. Another year of jerking him around is the worst possible thing for his development.

I'm not saying Rolston shouldn't bench him or scold him, but please don't put him on the fourth line or send him back to juniors.

Seriously. The team isn't doing a damn thing whether he plays or not, so you may as well try to develop him--he remains our only top line center prospect.

And I still say the best way to try and fix Myers is let him play to his offensive instincts and just let him roll. Will it work? Maybe, maybe not, but I think there's zero chance of it even getting a shot with Rolston.

Seriously. The team isn't doing a damn thing whether he plays or not, so you may as well try to develop him--he remains our only top line center prospect.

And I still say the best way to try and fix Myers is let him play to his offensive instincts and just let him roll. Will it work? Maybe, maybe not, but I think there's zero chance of it even getting a shot with Rolston.

Yep. Tyler is not a thinker. His problem last season, as the story goes, was that he was thinking too much. So in the offseason he went through some kind of mental conditioning — more thinking. Just stinking thinking. Hey, teacher, leave them kids alone.

I don't agree. There are substantial negative effects on the rest of the team if they see the FNG not being accountable and not having to put the work in and play the game the right way.

I don't agree. There are substantial negative effects on the rest of the team if they see the FNG not being accountable and not having to put the work in and play the game the right way.

Plenty of guys aren't playing the "right way" without any hint of accountability. So I really don't buy that argument.

Probably is. It's also probably easier for a coach to make an example of a raw rookie than seasoned vets, however deserving they may be.

Well, I don't know whether you think Stafford is one of those vets, but RR had no problem healthy-scratching him last year.

[quote name=nfreeman timestamp='1381334013' p

ost='512242]

My game notes:

To me, the last goal is as much on Weber as it is on Myers. Hodgson had 51 tied up in front. Weber drifted into the crease when his man went into the high slot and became Vanek's man. He didn't move out onto the shooter (who'd originally been Myers man when he went behind the net, when Myers couldn't block the pass to the front he ended up in no man's land like Weber) and kept Enroth from getting across the net.

Until a bad shift with about 3 minutes left in regulation, I thought Myers had played pretty well.

And on another note, Enroth needs to learn how to control rebounds. Hopefully he gets better at that with more work.

To me, the last goal is as much on Weber as it is on Myers. Hodgson had 51 tied up in front. Weber drifted into the crease when his man went into the high slot and became Vanek's man. He didn't move out onto the shooter (who'd originally been Myers man when he went behind the net, when Myers couldn't block the pass to the front he ended up in no man's land like Weber) and kept Enroth from getting across the net.

Until a bad shift with about 3 minutes left in regulation, I thought Myers had played pretty well.

And on another note, Enroth needs to learn how to control rebounds. Hopefully he gets better at that with more work.

Well, if you go by the theory that forwards cover the defense and the defense cover the forwards then in theory there should not be a hand off from Weber to Vanek right? I'm not positive the Sabres were playing that strategy (then again at times I can't tell what strategy they are choosing).

Myers has a few moments but overall seems to be not engaging with a player in front of the net. He is content to sit a few feet off the forward rather than clear the net. His passing is off as well.

The one thing I noticed a lot of in this game was that the Sabres upped the passing tempo but often players simply couldn't control the pass. That's unacceptable.

Archived