Job Performance Poll: Head Coach Ron Rolston

IKnowPhysics

Job Performance Poll: Head Coach Ron Rolston  

101 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the CURRENT AND PAST PERFORMANCE of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres:

2. 2. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the EXPECTED FUTURE PERFORMANCE of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres:

3. 3. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the RESPONSIBILITY of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres FOR THE CURRENT WIN/LOSS RECORD OF THE TEAM:

• 1 - Not Responsible at All for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team
    • 5 - Somewhat Repsonsible for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team
    • 10 - Entirely Responsible for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team

What's the consensus on Ron?

A) hired in good faith because the organization believed he was the right man long-term to guide the rebuild to fruition.

B) hired as a placeholder for a year or two who could teach the kids while the organization was burned down around him.

Rolston is in a pretty unique position. The idea is to tank, and so they hire a coach who, while on the one hand will teach the kids the game, will also guarantee at least one season of tanking.

I think Regier and crew are gambling that Rolston doesn't finally figure out this whole NHL coaching thing by the beginning of next season. Perhaps they plan to give him two seasons to tank, and season three to audition for the "real" job after they get their picks.

So, Rolston gets two seasons of baptism by fire to learn how to win as an NHL coach. That's a gift to someone who never played in the league.

And that is the juxtaposition we are in trying to understand Darcy's motives and strategy. My only contrary point is if so why didn't the Sabres tank at the end of last year? Because of Darcy's incompetence? He didn't get rid of Vanek or Miller soon enough. Pommer was a good start. I guess keeping Stafford on the team helps with your theory.

Edited by North Buffalo

A) hired in good faith because the organization believed he was the right man long-term to guide the rebuild to fruition.

B) hired as a placeholder for a year or two who could teach the kids while the organization was burned down around him.

There may not ever end up being a consensus, but I'll take option B.

I don't know if he was hired with the intention of firing him in a year or two, but I believe they were absolutely aware he'd be an easy fire if the time came.

• 10 months later...

Oh great! You HAD to go and do that.... Mention his name....!!

Everybody look for the presser before pre-season, in which TP announces Larry the Moron is the new President of Hockey Operations.

I called it :flirt:

It's okay he didn't say his name three times while looking at his checkbook.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.