2013 Training Camp

spndnchz

Here's a link to the training camp roster.

http://sabres.nhl.co..._source=Twitter

And here's a link to the schedule.

http://sabres.nhl.co..._source=Twitter

While Nathan Gerbe isn't listed as a Center on the training camp roster (ha), Steve Ott is.

:huh:

Starts tomorrow.

Roster is up.

36 Offense and 18 Defense with 6 goalies.

2013 Training Camp Roster.pdf

Starting Thursday, camps are open to the public.

Schedule for first week of camp: (all times are subject to change)

Thursday, Sept. 12

Session One: 8:45-9:45

Session Two: 10-10:45

Scrimmage: 11:15-12:00

Session Three: 12:15-1:00

Friday, Sept. 13

Session One: 7:45-8:45

Scrimmage: 9:15-10:30

Saturday, Sept. 14

Session One: 8:45-9:45

Session Two: 10-10:45

Scrimmage: 11:15-12:00

Session Three: 12:15-1:00

Sunday, Sept. 15

Pre-game skate: 10:30 a.m. (First Niagara Center)

Game at Montreal Canadiens: 7 p.m.

I think it is interesting ppl assume Ristolainen will not start the year in Buffalo. I think the opposite and I think we will be surprised t how poised he is for being so young. Risto is my wildcard to make the team this season and I have full confidence.

Other players I find interesting are Tropp and Flynn... those 2 are responsible for anchoring a right side that is somewhat lacking in both skill and stability.

I think it is interesting ppl assume Ristolainen will not start the year in Buffalo. I think the opposite and I think we will be surprised t how poised he is for being so young. Risto is my wildcard to make the team this season and I have full confidence.

Other players I find interesting are Tropp and Flynn... those 2 are responsible for anchoring a right side that is somewhat lacking in both skill and stability.

I think there will only be room for one of Tropp and Flynn. I expect the right side to have Armia, Stafford, and Kaleta when the season opens. My money is on Flynn.

I really want to see either Risto or McNabb being good enough to skate with Ehrhoff this year.

Fingers crossed on Hank and big Tyler rekindling the magic.

And Pysyk and Weber is intriguing.

That line-up has a decent mix of size, skill and skating.

I want Sulzer and McBain strictly as depth at 7/8, although I have some curiosity about McBain.

Like most of this board, I have written him off more or less as another Gragnani.

But he was a touted prospect at one point and is still young enough to rebound.

I'm guessing they are hoping he's more than that, although the track record isn't good.

he didn't really show high end scoring in juniors. I can't imagine why anyone would hope he is anything but an energy line player at the NHL level.

I always find the numbers game interesting... a few notes:

Hank will be #20 (his international 7 is retired and Ehrhoff took 10).

Armia is wearing 33 (he wears 20 internationally but Hank stole that and Ehrhoff has 10).

McNabb going from 81 to Sekera's old 44.

Pysyk switching from 53 to 3 which was expected.

Foligno has given up on getting 17 as he said he would wear last season but never did.

Zemgus sticking with 28.

Zadorov likely to be the first 61 since Max.

What's up with defensemen and 44? Is it because many amateur rosters stick the D with low numbers, like 4, and then when they go pro, that number's taken, so they switch long term to 44?

Also, Zemgus is the new Goose? Alright.

That is pretty much exactly the reason.

This is going to a very interesting camp. The Sabres have more bodies than space at both the NHL and AHL levels.

Miller and Enroth are set in goal. Vanek, Hodgson, Stafford, Ennis, Leino and Ott have contracts and pedigrees that guarantee them NHL jobs up front. The same goes for Ehrhoff, Myers and Weber on the blueline.

That leaves twelve openings with 20 players legitimately in the hunt.

Kaleta, Scott, Porter, McCormick, Ellis, Tropp, Adam, Tallinder, Sulzer and McBain are veterans who will have to clear waivers.

Foligno, Flynn, Girgorenko and Pysyk are prospects who can be sent down, but appear to have spots based on last year

Armia, Girgensons, Larsson, Ristolainen, Ruhwedel and McNabb are rookies who might be ready for the next step.

Are the Sabres legitimately ready to embrace youth at the NHL level? Or will Darcy protect assets by not exposing players to waivers - letting the kids simmer in the AHL until he creates space by trading some of his veterans off?

I'd bet big bucks on plan B.

I'd also bet big bucks that he will be trying his damnedest to trade someone from the clear waivers group before the season starts.

It's no wonder Gerbe got dumped. Poor Gillies should have picked another team to jump start his career with.

It would be nice if Darcy could turn some of this upcoming talent into high draft pics 2 years from now or prospects that are still eligible for juniors. Next year's draft is looking light according to the experts. I wish Darcy wouldn't ###### foot if he is in full on rebuild... bite the bullet and go whole hog.... play the young guys and dump the non-performers. Start with Stafford... effort and Leino... injuries. Miller... age and Vanek... value.

Common Darcy go for it.

Archived