Ecklund says Buffalo talking to Edmonton and Colorado

freester

Why would there be no hope of re-signing Stastny?

Because the Sabres have nothing to offer a 28 year old facing unrestricted free agency. Stastny has already spent most of his career on the outside looking in at the NHL playoffs. If the kid has even an ounce of compete in him he is going to want to play for a team that is going to give him a chance at competing in the playoffs. Right now the Sabres are a franchise heading in the other direction. I couldn't imagine a player like Stastny willing to burn more years off of his career waiting to play on a contender. At the end of this season he'll be able to pick his spot that he feels gives him the best chance to win. Realistically, that's not the Sabres who at this point have fallen behind Columbus as a place players want to play for.

Because the Sabres have nothing to offer a 28 year old facing unrestricted free agency. Stastny has already spent most of his career on the outside looking in at the NHL playoffs. If the kid has even an ounce of compete in him he is going to want to play for a team that is going to give him a chance at competing in the playoffs. Right now the Sabres are a franchise heading in the other direction. I couldn't imagine a player like Stastny willing to burn more years off of his career waiting to play on a contender. At the end of this season he'll be able to pick his spot that he feels gives him the best chance to win. Realistically, that's not the Sabres who at this point have fallen behind Columbus as a place players want to play for.

Well, there is some truth to what you're saying here but I think you're overstating it quite a bit.

In any case, though, a lot will depend (in terms of being attractive to FAs) on how this season goes for the Sabres.

It's also important to remember that there aren't that many teams with both cap space and deep pockets.

Well, there is some truth to what you're saying here but I think you're overstating it quite a bit.

In any case, though, a lot will depend (in terms of being attractive to FAs) on how this season goes for the Sabres.

It's also important to remember that there aren't that many teams with both cap space and deep pockets.

Yep, there are a lot of variables that go into luring FA's, but greenbacks and the willingness to pay top dollar are among the most influential. I don't care if you're asking a guy to play on the dark side of the moon, the big money (goes around the world!) will always get you in the conversation.

its funny that this comes up all the time, yet every year teams always seem to make it work, add in what is expected to be a big cap increase next offseason and there won't be a shortage of money and cap room to go around. Just look at teams like the Rangers, or the Flyers. Every year it seems like we talk about how they aren't going to have cap room but then they go out and spend. very few teams every year seem to be in situations where they just can't afford to go out and spend if they wanted to, and then you even get the odd team you think wont spend go out and make a huge splash (like Minnesota last offseason, we may see something happen in Phoenix next offseason now that they have a real owner)

Yep, there are a lot of variables that go into luring FA's, but greenbacks and the willingness to pay top dollar are among the most influential. I don't care if you're asking a guy to play on the dark side of the moon, the big money (goes around the world!) will always get you in the conversation.

It might get you added to the conversation, but doesn't make you any more likely to actually get the prize. How has this worked for the Sabres so far?

It might get you added to the conversation, but doesn't make you any more likely to actually get the prize. How has this worked for the Sabres so far?

Sure it does when you compare it to not even being in the conversation at all, which was the case for the entire history of this franchise up until three years ago. The big bucks are one of the variables, and one of the most important ones IMO, but I didn't say that having what looks to be a ###### team on paper doesn't hurt you.

I'm getting a little tired of the nobody will come meme:

In the past few years, how many of these teams have signed free agents more hyped as Ehrhoff/Leino:

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Colorado, San Jose, Winnipeg...

Other than Philly, New York, Minnesota and maybe a handful of others, no one has signed top free agents because there aren't any available.

In the past few years, how many of these teams have signed free agents more hyped as Ehrhoff/Leino:

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Colorado, San Jose, Winnipeg...

Other than Philly, New York, Minnesota and maybe a handful of others, no one has signed top free agents because there aren't any available.

Well, to be fair, there are also players under contracts with NTCs to consider.

Sure it does when you compare it to not even being in the conversation at all, which was the case for the entire history of this franchise up until three years ago. The big bucks are one of the variables, and one of the most important ones IMO, but I didn't say that having what looks to be a ###### team on paper doesn't hurt you.

Has it really made a difference for the Sabres? They have "been in the conversation" because TP has the money for alot of FAs, but has it actually helped? I don't remember it helping them to sign Richards, I don't think it even got them close to have an interview with him to pitch their offer. Regher and Ehrhoff both had to have TP personally fly to go convince/beg them to join the team. Maybe it helped get Leino

Well, looking at those teams, how many really needed to sign hyped FAs, and how many used other ways like trades to acquire them?

Vancouver has been a cup contender the last few years, they already have big names like the Sedins, Luongo (whom I believe may have been a hyped FA they acquired), they actually let the hyped Ehrhoff walk because they thought that he was expendable because of who they had

Edmonton is also well known as a team players shy away from

Calgary is a mess that also may be a place FAs don't look to, although they have been close to the cap most offseasons.

LA acquired some players via trade that are much better then Ehrhoff and Leino. If they were looking for a "hyped" FA, they would have one of the better chances to get one

Anaheim, similar to LA, if they wanted someone and were willing to pay, they would have a good chance because of their location, don't think many players and their families would turn down living in California.

Phoenix has been a mess with the ownership issues and couldn't go out and spend money on "hyped FA's" so its not really clear if what would happen if they had the resources to sign some bigger names.

Colorado has been rebuilding, Haven't heard anything bad that players don't want to go play there or would turn down offers to go there, seems to be that they just don't want to spend the money.

San Jose, see Anaheim

Winnipeg, see Edmonton, also their ownership said when tehy acquired the team that they would not be looking to FA to sign big names, they were a franchise that would build their teams from within.

If you had a choice to play and live in close to 30 different cities in North America, how many would chose Buffalo voluntarily (without being from nearby)? Probably not many more then those that might chose Edmonton, or Winnipeg, or Columbus Ohio.

Saying that Buffalo is a desitination players want to come to is not going to become fact by bringing up Ehrhoff (who needed the owner to fly in and convince/beg him to come) and Leino, who wasn't all that "hyped" (and was offered way more then anyone else had offered him, if anyone had offered him anything)

You know that wasn't a comprehensive list, right?

I stopped listing teams because at least three-quarters of the teams in this league have been no better - and probably worse - than the Sabres at attracting free agents. But that is conveniently overlooked by "the no one will ever come" crowd.

Every free agent looks at money, how good the team is, how they would fit into that team and how the community fits their lifestyle.

And the answers are going to be different for every player. Some like the fast life, others a family atmosphere. Some like warm weather, others hockey towns. Some like limelight, others the quiet life. Nathan Horton found what he was looking for in Columbus.

Some people on here make it sound like most teams are in most free agent conversations and Buffalo is a beggar outside the door. There are 30 teams competing for free agent talent. Other than the Minnesota stunner last year, who outside Philadelphia and New York have been kicking Buffalo's ass in free agency, post-Pegula?

Your post makes excuses for the lack of success other teams have had in free agency, and makes different excuses to minimize our success.

Since Pegula showed up, Leino and Ehrhoff have decided Buffalo was their best option, and Regehr waived his no-trade clause to come here. If you compare that to every team around the league, the Sabres stand up well. 28 other teams whiffed on Parise and Suter too.

Are the Sabres a destination? No. Until they get a Crosby or have some playoff success they won't be.

But the facts show few teams are destinations.

And not being a destination is not the same thing as "We're the last place anyone would want to come."

Saying no one will ever come to Buffalo says more about what you think of the city and the organization than what NHL players do.

I stopped listing teams because at least three-quarters of the teams in this league have been no better - and probably worse - than the Sabres at attracting free agents. But that is conveniently overlooked by "the no one will ever come" crowd.

Every free agent looks at money, how good the team is, how they would fit into that team and how the community fits their lifestyle.

And the answers are going to be different for every player. Some like the fast life, others a family atmosphere. Some like warm weather, others hockey towns. Some like limelight, others the quiet life. Nathan Horton found what he was looking for in Columbus.

Some people on here make it sound like most teams are in most free agent conversations and Buffalo is a beggar outside the door. There are 30 teams competing for free agent talent. Other than the Minnesota stunner last year, who outside Philadelphia and New York have been kicking Buffalo's ass in free agency, post-Pegula?

Your post makes excuses for the lack of success other teams have had in free agency, and makes different excuses to minimize our success.

Since Pegula showed up, Leino and Ehrhoff have decided Buffalo was their best option, and Regehr waived his no-trade clause to come here. If you compare that to every team around the league, the Sabres stand up well. 28 other teams whiffed on Parise and Suter too.

Are the Sabres a destination? No. Until they get a Crosby or have some playoff success they won't be.

And not being a destination is not the same thing as "We're the last place anyone would want to come."

Saying no one will ever come to Buffalo says more about what you think of the city and the organization than what NHL players do.

Well said, every last word, well said.

Has it really made a difference for the Sabres? They have "been in the conversation" because TP has the money for alot of FAs, but has it actually helped? I don't remember it helping them to sign Richards, I don't think it even got them close to have an interview with him to pitch their offer. Regher and Ehrhoff both had to have TP personally fly to go convince/beg them to join the team. Maybe it helped get Leino

Kinda funny Richards went there to play for his coach and now he's gone. lol

Keep using them to make your point

Leino was overpaid for one decent season and IIRC wasn't picking Buffalo over any other offers because he wasn't given any other offer.

Again, Regher and Ehrhoff both had to be begged by the owner, who had to fly in to meet them in person, to come and play for the Sabres. Also both of those guys were traded to the Sabres so its not like they came there to listen to Buffalos offer because they truly wanted to.Reghers options were stay on a sinking team thats trying to move you out or listen to what Buffalos owner has to offer you.

Of course there are other teams that aren't appealing to players as UFAs. No one is saying Buffalo is the only one.

But I have yet to see any proof that the top FAs are willing to come in and consider Buffalo a choice to sign with now that TP has shown up with all of his money and built a new locker room.

The only reason the Sabres are "in the conversation" for a top FA is because the media says they are since TP has money to spend. Its not because players are saying that they would want to come play for the Sabres organization.

Having to grossly overpay players like Leino and Ehrhoff is not they way to use free agency to help build your team. It's a reflection of where Darcy Regier has postioned the Sabres as a franchise.

Even though I agree with what apuszczalowski has been saying, I do disagree that Sabres are in the converation for top free agents. IMO, that is more of a Sabres created perception and not really anything based in reality. It's like when the Bills where "trying to hire" Shanahan or Cowher. The Bills knew they had zero chance at convincing any quality coach to come to the Bills. They went through the motions to create a perception. That is what the Sabres have been doing by trying to associate their name with the likes of Richards, Suter and Parise.

Kinda funny Richards went there to play for his coach and now he's gone. lol

What's funnier is he wanted his coach to get canned.

Having to grossly overpay players like Leino and Ehrhoff is not they way to use free agency to help build your team. It's a reflection of where Darcy Regier has postioned the Sabres as a franchise.

Even though I agree with what apuszczalowski has been saying, I do disagree that Sabres are in the converation for top free agents. IMO, that is more of a Sabres created perception and not really anything based in reality. It's like when the Bills where "trying to hire" Shanahan or Cowher. The Bills knew they had zero chance at convincing any quality coach to come to the Bills. They went through the motions to create a perception. That is what the Sabres have been doing by trying to associate their name with the likes of Richards, Suter and Parise.

Stop saying Ehrhoff is overpaid. Seriously just stop.

Keep using them to make your point

Leino was overpaid for one decent season and IIRC wasn't picking Buffalo over any other offers because he wasn't given any other offer.

Again, Regher and Ehrhoff both had to be begged by the owner, who had to fly in to meet them in person, to come and play for the Sabres. Also both of those guys were traded to the Sabres so its not like they came there to listen to Buffalos offer because they truly wanted to.Reghers options were stay on a sinking team thats trying to move you out or listen to what Buffalos owner has to offer you.

Of course there are other teams that aren't appealing to players as UFAs. No one is saying Buffalo is the only one.

But I have yet to see any proof that the top FAs are willing to come in and consider Buffalo a choice to sign with now that TP has shown up with all of his money and built a new locker room.

The only reason the Sabres are "in the conversation" for a top FA is because the media says they are since TP has money to spend. Its not because players are saying that they would want to come play for the Sabres organization.

Pegula did not fly to meet Ehrhoff, only Regehr. Ehrhoff's rights were traded to Buffalo 1 day before FA and he chose to listen to Buffalo's offer.

He's a Sabre because they shelled out $31 million in the first two season. He's a good defensemen, just not worth that much money upfront. Making a mil five years from now when he is 36 doesn't mean he wasn't overpaid. You don't have to like it, it's just how it is.

He's a Sabre because they shelled out $31 million in the first two season. He's a good defensemen, just not worth that much money upfront. Making a mil five years from now when he is 36 doesn't mean he wasn't overpaid. You don't have to like it, it's just how it is.

Find a better D for $4m cap/yr. (no entry-level or bridge contracts)

So your complaint is that the contract was structured favorably for the Sabres?

Find a better D for $4m cap/yr. (no entry-level or bridge contracts)

Well, this is a pretty silly argument, in which everyone knows that everyone is more or less half right.

It's not stuctured in favor of the Sabres at all. That's not really the point.

This year Ehrhoff is a good value at $4 mill. They don't get that value this year without the $31 million over the first two years which goes to the point of the Sabres ability to sign the top free agents.

It's not stuctured in favor of the Sabres at all. That's not really the point.

This year Ehrhoff is a good value at $4 mill. They don't get that value this year without the $31 million over the first two years which goes to the point of the Sabres ability to sign the top free agents.

Not for nothin', but who cares? For years, we saw FAs go to the Rangers. It's one of the reasons there is a salary cap now. Did they go there because they really wanted to wear the Blueshirt or because NY is such a great place with lots to offer? Nope. They went there to get paid.

The only thing I care about when discussing the Sabres' ability to sign top free agents,… is whether or not they actually signed top free agents. They did. They are just as in the mix as any other team and I don't care what the reason is.

Archived