Ecklund says Buffalo talking to Edmonton and Colorado

freester

The stats and usage charts tell the story: he was the first line center for Colorado playing with Hejduk, then Joe Sacco takes over and eventually he gives Duchene and Ryan O'Reilly the first and second line spots, meanwhile, Colorado lost its top six wingers (and just gained Landeskog and Paranteau this season). On paper, it looks like mild misuse by the coach and little support in the roster.

Statsny on the ice (not attitude/intangible-wise) has been playing a very similar role to Steve Ott in the sense that he's been given more defensive work against the opponents' top players.

A change of scenery to a place where he plays top-six could revive his point totals, but I'm not convinced that place should be here. In fact, if he did come here, I'd want him to keep playing the role he's been playing: veteran third line center who plays well defensively, puts points on the board, and takes a good faceoff. But that might not be worth the price of $6M+ and Ryan Miller.

Like your post , some sane observations here for a change. Just one counterpoint....If he were to come here you would have to use him as the most skilled center you have and pair him with Vanek. His numbers would climb and your first line automatically begins to give up fewer goals. His head would also become of great use on your pp. And then you try to resign him. He is 27

What is the point for trading for a player like Statsny, a player you have no hope of re-signing?

If you are going to move a player of Miller's or Vanek's stature you better be damned sure it's for assets that will help this franchise long term. Not a rental like Stastny or even worse a player like Hemsky. If you trade for a Hemsky you better be getting something really good along with him for doing the Oilers the favor of taking on his contract.

Like your post , some sane observations here for a change. Just one counterpoint....If he were to come here you would have to use him as the most skilled center you have and pair him with Vanek. His numbers would climb and your first line automatically begins to give up fewer goals. His head would also become of great use on your pp. And then you try to resign him. He is 27

Gracias. It becomes a question of coaching philosophy and player usage- do you have a shut-down third line to play against the opponents' top lines or do you have a top line to play two-way hockey against the opponents' top lines? We've been playing two-way for a while now, most recently with Hodgson and Ennis and it hasn't been working, but that's not to say, to your point, that Statsny wouldn't be good at it. If you use a shutdown 3rd line, you don't want to put guys like Hodgson and Ennis or Grigorenko in those roles, so Statsny starts to look like the way to be, and you count on Hodgson and Vanek, who in this case are no longer seeing the toughest opponents, start to light it up. Either way, Statsny helps the team defensively.

And then there's this:

If you are going to move a player of Miller's or Vanek's stature you better be damned sure it's for assets that will help this franchise long term. Not a rental like Stastny or even worse a player like Hemsky. If you trade for a Hemsky you better be getting something really good along with him for doing the Oilers the favor of taking on his contract.

Which I mostly agree with. The players we bring in when/if we sell Miller/Vanek must bring assets that are valuable to us for the long term, whether it be high draft picks, young players, or established players under contract, or some grab bag of all of those. Statsny's a UFA after this season, so unless there's some conditional picks or something based on his resigning (which Colorado could ask for with Miller), there's not a lot of value there.

Gracias. It becomes a question of coaching philosophy and player usage- do you have a shut-down third line to play against the opponents' top lines or do you have a top line to play two-way hockey against the opponents' top lines? We've been playing two-way for a while now, most recently with Hodgson and Ennis and it hasn't been working, but that's not to say, to your point, that Statsny wouldn't be good at it. If you use a shutdown 3rd line, you And then there's this:

We can agree to disagree.. True one centers are hard to get, especially when you are not a contender.(Sabres over the past 6 years are proof positive). Paul is a legit one. Cody is not. If you want a legit shutdown line center you do not need to spend 7 mil to get one. Your argument in support of trading for him falls apart when you throw a talent like that on your third line. Taking the pressure off the cody line would be a positive too Paul gives you two legit scoring lines ..

What is the point for trading for a player like Statsny, a player you have no hope of re-signing?

1. The receiving team would also be in a similar situation in terms of possibly not re-signing Miller.

2. Miller is Cap heavy in a year when the Cap was reduced.

3. Miller's worth isn't what it used to be.

You're implying that Miller is some huge draw and should return a superstar player that would help this team for years to come.

Vanek is a different story.

Because it allows you to put your young centers in a better position to succeed and help them develop properly. That has lasting value. I will also echo what JJ said, and on the trade market, you're not getting a whole lot for Miller.

We can agree to disagree.. True one centers are hard to get, especially when you are not a contender.(Sabres over the past 6 years are proof positive). Paul is a legit one. Cody is not. If you want a legit shutdown line center you do not need to spend 7 mil to get one. Your argument in support of trading for him falls apart when you throw a talent like that on your third line. Taking the pressure off the cody line would be a positive too Paul gives you two legit scoring lines ..

There's nothing to suggest Stastny is currently a legit one.

1. The receiving team would also be in a similar situation in terms of possibly not re-signing Miller.

2. Miller is Cap heavy in a year when the Cap was reduced.

3. Miller's worth isn't what it used to be.

You're implying that Miller is some huge draw and should return a superstar player that would help this team for years to come.

Vanek is a different story.

I'm not looking for "a superstar" in return for Miller, I want assets. Draft picks and prospects that fit what the team is trying to build. Not $6 mil rentals. That is foolish, you might as well keep Miller.

The "receiving team" is not going to be a team in a similar situation to the Sabres. That team will most likely be a team that sees Miller as one of the final pieces to their puzzle. A team that sees Miller as the catalyst for a playoff run.

Because it allows you to put your young centers in a better position to succeed and help them develop properly. That has lasting value. I will also echo what JJ said, and on the trade market, you're not getting a whole lot for Miller.

That "market" is in a constant state of flux. Injuries or a team finding themselves in a place in the standings that makes taking a shot worth paying for a Miller are best case scenarios for the Sabres.

The ahl is where young centers are in the best position to develop.

Two.... Paul would be the most experienced,physical, talented and skilled center on the Sabres roster and as such the one center.Skill set wise he would match up the best with Vanek.

The ahl is where young centers are in the best position to develop.

Two.... Paul would be the most experienced,physical, talented and skilled center on the Sabres roster and as such the one center.Skill set wise he would match up the best with Vanek.

Yes, no centers are ever eased into responsibility in the NHL, that maturation process completely takes place in the A. Also, if that is your definition of a #1 center, then you should revise your earlier post to read that Hodgson is a true #1.

That "market" is in a constant state of flux. Injuries or a team finding themselves in a place in the standings that makes taking a shot worth paying for a Miller are best case scenarios for the Sabres.

Sure it's possible a team wants to trade for Miller, but how likely does that situation arise? How often do teams trade for starting goaltenders in the middle of the season? Yes, the stars could align, but I don't think you should count on it happening to boost the potential return for Miller.

Sure it's possible a team wants to trade for Miller, but how likely does that situation arise? How often do teams trade for starting goaltenders in the middle of the season? Yes, the stars could align, but I don't think you should count on it happening to boost the potential return for Miller.

Just offering possible scenarios. I still believe the Pegula plan is keeping Miller and Vanek through the end of the season with the thought he can resign them.

Yes, no centers are ever eased into responsibility in the NHL, that maturation process completely takes place in the A. Also, if that is your definition of a #1 center, then you should revise your earlier post to read that Hodgson is a true #1.

You are surrounded with bozone. I can no longer help you. peace be with you ..LOL Have fun watching your young, not ready for prime time centers for the next five years or so.. Cody.. right now is a three on a good team.. possibly a two on any lesser team. Why do you think Darcy has pursued Stats for the last few years? Have you ever watched him play more than a few times. The point was , on the Sabres, a lesser team, Stats is a one especially with Vanek. His presence gives you the ability to put two legit, hopefully consistent scoring lines on the ice.

I don't think you do your your centers any favors when they are rushed to the NHL. The center ice position has too much defensive responsibility for most young players. This comes from a fan of a team that has an 18 year old that played in the Swedish Elite League last year penciled in as 3rd line center.

As for Eklund, I can't put any stock in what he reports.

I don't think you do your your centers any favors when they are rushed to the NHL. The center ice position has too much defensive responsibility for most young players. This comes from a fan of a team that has an 18 year old that played in the Swedish Elite League last year penciled in as 3rd line center.

As for Eklund, I can't put any stock in what he reports.

I dunno, I think he was the first to report STAMKOS TO BUFFALO a few years back, that has to count for something! :thumbsup:

Why would there be no hope of re-signing Stastny?

OTOH, if Stastny is a legit #1, why has he gotten dropped to #3 on his current team? The guys in front of him are good, but it's not like we're talking Crosby and Malkin.

Looks like he's still the Sabres guy to me. Plus he's doing more league wide stuff.

http://www.hockeybuz...79&blogger_id=6

Says at the top that he is now assigned to "200 x 85" NHL news... but I guess he still has some lingering Sabres stories to push through!

Edit: here is another recent Garth article: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=6#.UiX5BT_ocw8

OTOH, if Stastny is a legit #1, why has he gotten dropped to #3 on his current team? The guys in front of him are good, but it's not like we're talking Crosby and Malkin.

There's a naming issue here. Some teams (Colorado and Toronto) play their third line against the other teams top line. Other teams (Buffalo and Boston) play their first line against other teams top lines. Therefore Stasny was playing against other teams top lines, even though it is labeled the third line.

It leads to requiring a lot of context when you compare players. Last year Toronto was organized to get Kadri and Lupal lesser opponents, Kadri benefits on the stat sheet, Grabovski looks worse than he is. In Colorado Stasny played a similar role to Grabovski, and his stats look worse. Ryan O'Reilly plays the Kadri role of weak opponents.

Archived