Ecklund says Buffalo talking to Edmonton and Colorado

freester

Stasny has 398 points in 467 NHL games and is only 27. Maybe he is going downhill a bit, but he is a proven NHL scorer (which we don't have a whole lot of on the current roster) and he'd give us some veteran depth down the middle. At worst his presence would buy some time for the young centers (Girgs, Grigo, Larrson) to develop. BTW - he is a pretty good faceoff guy too

...and I agree with the above post. If we want to dump him at the deadline we could probably get a pretty good return for him.

You could also trade away one of Grigs or Girgs or Larssen for other assetts too.

Just because Darcy Drafted them, it doesn't mean they have to end up on the Sabres roster at some point down the road, they can sometimes make a bigger impact by being chips in a trade for some established talent. Ah, who am I kidding, Its Darcy, theres no way he trades one of his own until they have many mediocre seasons in the NHL and he gets a mid round draft pick for them or they get to leave in FA

Stasny has 398 points in 467 NHL games and is only 27. Maybe he is going downhill a bit, but he is a proven NHL scorer (which we don't have a whole lot of on the current roster) and he'd give us some veteran depth down the middle. At worst his presence would buy some time for the young centers (Girgs, Grigo, Larrson) to develop. BTW - he is a pretty good faceoff guy too

...and I agree with the above post. If we want to dump him at the deadline we could probably get a pretty good return for him.

Stastny = Roy + 2 inches. I'd take him in a Miller trade simply because my expectations about what Miller can return are really low. But I'm not convinced Stastny is really any better than he's shown the past couple years.

Stastny = Roy + 2 inches. I'd take him in a Miller trade simply because my expectations about what Miller can return are really low. But I'm not convinced Stastny is really any better than he's shown the past couple years.

I don't disagree with this. The thing is, the Sabres really could have used a Roy last season. Even Roy back-checked with relative frequency.

I don't disagree with this. The thing is, the Sabres really could have used a Roy last season. Even Roy back-checked with relative frequency.

Completely agree. I think my post made me sound more down on the deal than I would be. I think it makes a lot of sense for both teams this year. I'm just doubtful it holds much if any long term value for the Sabres...although the probable alternative doesn't either, so there's that.

i don't know about you guys but i have little interest in stastny to begin with. i get the people saying they want as many NHL forwards as possible, but all getting stastny does is eat ice time from Hodgson and Grigorenko as top 6 centermen, potentially hindering their development. it's not like he's an elite #1 center. i'd rather have O'Reilly and imo a scenario involving him being traded mid-season is more realistic anyway given the holdout/offer sheet ordeal last season.

I was browsing the forums the other day and read this thread. At first I was a bit disappointed on a Stastny for Miller swap and I brushed the Edmonton side of the conversation aside. Yes, I realize this guy Ecklund has near or at 0 cred. But the thought of a couple of moves intrigued me a bit, so I dug some basic information out and did a little hypothesizing on a scenario and wanted to run it by the members here.

You can flame away, I take it all in stride but at least here it out in it's entirety before passing judgement.

A straight up swap Miller for Stastny and a trade involving some form of D to Edmonton for Hemsky.

Here is my reasoning and since it's a bit of fun speculation maybe others would like to chime in on this as well.

Stastny at 6.6 mil, Miller at 6.25 mil, cap add of 375k

Hemsky at 5 mil, cap add of 5 mil (depending on what D man gets sent back, one of the young ones I would imagine.

My guess is both Colorado and Edmonton are looking to move these players, but bare in mind, it's speculative.

My reasoning for Hemsky, RW'er on a Vanek, Hodgson, Hemsky line. This gives Vanek that veteran presence he spoke on to some extent and, depending on if Hemsky can stay healthy or not (and I know the odds are not in that favor), that line could do some damage.

Stastny centering Ennis and Stafford, this re-unites the Stafford/Ennis connection with an added bonus of Stastny.

Both are 1 year players, Stastny has real value at the deadline more so than Miller I would imagine.

This scenario also leaves enough cap space to give 5 mil or so to Hodgson should it be required.

Thoughts? Flamings? Input?

Ahaha, this guy: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23991887

The Avalanche needs one thing to get back in the Colorado sports conversation and back in the NHL playoffs.

His name is Ryan Miller.

Way back in May, I urged the Avs to take center Nathan MacKinnon with the No. 1 pick in the NHL draft and trade Stastny for Miller.

Glad to see the rest of the league finally catching up with me.

What an asshat.

I was browsing the forums the other day and read this thread. At first I was a bit disappointed on a Stastny for Miller swap and I brushed the Edmonton side of the conversation aside. Yes, I realize this guy Ecklund has near or at 0 cred. But the thought of a couple of moves intrigued me a bit, so I dug some basic information out and did a little hypothesizing on a scenario and wanted to run it by the members here.

You can flame away, I take it all in stride but at least here it out in it's entirety before passing judgement.

A straight up swap Miller for Stastny and a trade involving some form of D to Edmonton for Hemsky.

Here is my reasoning and since it's a bit of fun speculation maybe others would like to chime in on this as well.

Stastny at 6.6 mil, Miller at 6.25 mil, cap add of 375k

Hemsky at 5 mil, cap add of 5 mil (depending on what D man gets sent back, one of the young ones I would imagine.

My guess is both Colorado and Edmonton are looking to move these players, but bare in mind, it's speculative.

My reasoning for Hemsky, RW'er on a Vanek, Hodgson, Hemsky line. This gives Vanek that veteran presence he spoke on to some extent and, depending on if Hemsky can stay healthy or not (and I know the odds are not in that favor), that line could do some damage.

Stastny centering Ennis and Stafford, this re-unites the Stafford/Ennis connection with an added bonus of Stastny.

Both are 1 year players, Stastny has real value at the deadline more so than Miller I would imagine.

This scenario also leaves enough cap space to give 5 mil or so to Hodgson should it be required.

Thoughts? Flamings? Input?

Hemsky has no value. He is a cap dump. Edmonton would have to give us something of value for us to take Hemsky's contract off their hands.

WTF happened to Stastny? He used to be awesome.

The stats and usage charts tell the story: he was the first line center for Colorado playing with Hejduk, then Joe Sacco takes over and eventually he gives Duchene and Ryan O'Reilly the first and second line spots, meanwhile, Colorado lost its top six wingers (and just gained Landeskog and Paranteau this season). On paper, it looks like mild misuse by the coach and little support in the roster.

Statsny on the ice (not attitude/intangible-wise) has been playing a very similar role to Steve Ott in the sense that he's been given more defensive work against the opponents' top players.

A change of scenery to a place where he plays top-six could revive his point totals, but I'm not convinced that place should be here. In fact, if he did come here, I'd want him to keep playing the role he's been playing: veteran third line center who plays well defensively, puts points on the board, and takes a good faceoff. But that might not be worth the price of $6M+ and Ryan Miller.

Archived