Tyler Myers 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Myers has a good shot. Lindy had him trained to do that stupid bounce it off the backboards gimmick. I hope he does less of that this season.

I think his velocity is fine but I don't think he can hit the broad side of a barn. I was reading Elliot's Friedman's column a couple summers ago who said he was afflicted with Zhitnik-itis. He said Myers was practicing his accuracy even back then. I don't doubt it. Plus who knows how that broken leg is going to affect him?

Myers has a good shot. Lindy had him trained to do that stupid bounce it off the backboards gimmick. I hope he does less of that this season.

That is a league-wide thing. Goalie equipment being what it is, and defensive zone players being so disciplined at clogging shooting lanes, point men across the league have been using bank plays to create chances. Most of them are set, practiced plays now. I'm sure Rolston will be preaching it too.

That is a league-wide thing. Goalie equipment being what it is, and defensive zone players being so disciplined at clogging shooting lanes, point men across the league have been using bank plays to create chances. Most of them are set, practiced plays now. I'm sure Rolston will be preaching it too.

The problem of players getting in lanes is a conceptually easy nut to crack though. You just have to move the puck better to open up those lanes, something that Lindy never seemed to want his defense to do. Myers is notorious for failing to make that one extra move to get his shot through traffic. I hope Ronny can explain that idea to him. A guy with his size should have no problem making lanes open up just by moving a little more.

I think getting the right combinations of right and left handed players could make the Sabres offensive zone puck movement much better.

I think his velocity is fine but I don't think he can hit the broad side of a barn. I was reading Elliot's Friedman's column a couple summers ago who said he was afflicted with Zhitnik-itis. He said Myers was practicing his accuracy even back then. I don't doubt it. Plus who knows how that broken leg is going to affect him?

I think for Myers developing his shot is going to take time. He's a big pile of growing boy and perfecting a shot when you're his size can take time. I think he probably can shoot better, he just needs to move the puck better to make his shots count.

The problem of players getting in lanes is a conceptually easy nut to crack though. You just have to move the puck better to open up those lanes, something that Lindy never seemed to want his defense to do. Myers is notorious for failing to make that one extra move to get his shot through traffic. I hope Ronny can explain that idea to him. A guy with his size should have no problem making lanes open up just by moving a little more.

I think getting the right combinations of right and left handed players could make the Sabres offensive zone puck movement much better.

I think for Myers developing his shot is going to take time. He's a big pile of growing boy and perfecting a shot when you're his size can take time. I think he probably can shoot better, he just needs to move the puck better to make his shots count.

Conceptually it may be easy but if it really was easy you wouldn't see every team in the league using bank shot plays with regularity. They are the norm, not the exception now.

Additionally, if you watch how the Bruins use Chara you get an idea of how the Sabres need to use Myers. Take this game for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMhU1s_ECrs

Z doesn't spend time handling the puck at the blue line like Myers. He lets the team work down low and then he sneaks down to the top of the circle and it comes to him for the shot. No asking him to try and handle a fast checker who can poke it away and take off with it. Myers should be working the right circle the same way.

Conceptually it may be easy but if it really was easy you wouldn't see every team in the league using bank shot plays with regularity. They are the norm, not the exception now.

that's how the Stanley Cup winning goal was scored this year.

This article made me think about Myers... http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679929&navid=nhl:topheads

It says that Chara was traded too soon by the Isles, "only 24 and still growing into his body" with three seasons under his belt.

Myers currently has 4 (well, three and change) and is 23yo. Not making excuses, but I personally hope they will have patience with him.

This article made me think about Myers... http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

It says that Chara was traded too soon by the Isles, "only 24 and still growing into his body" with three seasons under his belt.

Myers currently has 4 (well, three and change) and is 23yo. Not making excuses, but I personally hope they will have patience with him.

If the Isles had exhibited more patience with Chara, they'd have had a different last decade; that's for sure.

Not a big fan of Spezza or Luongo but a starting point of Chara, Spezza and Luongo would have been interesting at least

Chara, Spezza, Jokinen, Luongo vs. Yashin, Kvasha, Parrish, DiPietro

Let the debate begin!

There's 24 years of buyout on the right side of that comparison! :w00t:

Maybe that's what he needed. Would he have developed into who he is if he had remained an Islander all of this time?

Impossible to know for sure, but I'm inclined to believe he would have. My reason is that the development curve for Dmen is long and uneven, so Chara's path was the norm not an exception. And since he followed a typical path, I don't think it was caused by the trade.

Impossible to know for sure, but I'm inclined to believe he would have. My reason is that the development curve for Dmen is long and uneven, so Chara's path was the norm not an exception. And since he followed a typical path, I don't think it was caused by the trade.

I think you're underestimating the psychological component of a player's, nay, a person's, development.

Just having to pick up and move because you're forced to is enough to affect anyone's psychology. Just imagine it happening to you, would it be something you shrug off or would it in some way change your point of view? I think AN effect is undeniable.

Archived