Tyler Myers 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Why? What am I doing?

Simply put it is painfully obvious that as Tyler Myers goes, so go the Sabres. At his best he can breakout out of the zone as though someone lit a fire under his ass. He can go coast to coast and unleash a slap shot that is powerful and accurate. He can shut down the opposition and smother them. Finally he can actually use his physical side and destroy opposing forwards.

The problem is we haven't seen that for more than a shift here or there in 2 years now. Instead there are a lot of bad passes. Randomly zoning out. Completely missing assignments and basically suckitude. Myers plays scared IMPO more times than not and I seriously wonder if he has the mental ability to play at the NHL level.

So Tyler Myers has supposedly been working out and training hard to be a legit #1 option this season... what are your thoughts and what are your thoughts now that Rasmus Ristolainen at 6'4" and Nikita Zadorov at 6'5" are in the system and seemingly could become better more physical versions of Myers?

Is this the make or break year for Tyler Myers?

So Tyler Myers has supposedly been working out and training hard to be a legit #1 option this season

Link?

As for the two draft picks, I will be surprised to see Risto as a regular with the Sabres before calendar year 2015. As for the other big fella, I'd expect his timeline to be more protracted -- I would expect RJ to be retired before he has a chance to be a regular.

Fair enough.

The first few comments in this July 15th video message leave me to infer that his workout obligations prevented him from returning to Alberta for a fundraiser that he helped underwrite.

http://youtu.be/LzpTd9CAAi4

Hmm sounds like he has indeed been working out. Also he looks fit and lean. Obviously really hard to tell since we don't get to see all of him but here's hoping.

Any prove of that pal ??? besides some Dick making an asinine comment about it.

Tongue and cheek, pal. Tongue and cheek.

GO SABRES!!!

It's funny you mention that, given the thing that prevented me from focusing on what he was saying the whole time was the fact he had to pause for 2 seconds a good 15 times to try and swallow.

To paraphrase Dick Jauron, swallowing with a giraffe's neck is hard.

GO SABRES!!!

Why? What am I doing?

Simply put it is painfully obvious that as Tyler Myers goes, so go the Sabres. At his best he can breakout out of the zone as though someone lit a fire under his ass. He can go coast to coast and unleash a slap shot that is powerful and accurate. He can shut down the opposition and smother them. Finally he can actually use his physical side and destroy opposing forwards.

The problem is we haven't seen that for more than a shift here or there in 2 years now. Instead there are a lot of bad passes. Randomly zoning out. Completely missing assignments and basically suckitude. Myers plays scared IMPO more times than not and I seriously wonder if he has the mental ability to play at the NHL level.

So Tyler Myers has supposedly been working out and training hard to be a legit #1 option this season... what are your thoughts and what are your thoughts now that Rasmus Ristolainen at 6'4" and Nikita Zadorov at 6'5" are in the system and seemingly could become better more physical versions of Myers?

I don't think either Ristolainen or Zadorov come close to Myers total potential, certainly not offensively. Zadorov clearly had a better physical game, but his offensive tools are average at best. Ristolainen has a nicely rounded out game and may end up making consistently better decisions than Myers, but I didn't read anything about him that lead me to believe he has elite upside.

Why? What am I doing?

I think you are opening a interesting debate here. Is Tyler Myers the focal point of this "rebuild?" As you said, "as Tyler Myers goes, so go the Sabres." Is Myers more important than the group of young centers? More important than what Foligno can be? Even Enroth, if Jonas Enroth can step into the #1 role allowing the Sabres to flip Miller into assets, wouldn't that make Enroth at least as important as Myers?

I think you are opening a interesting debate here. Is Tyler Myers the focal point of this "rebuild?" As you said, "as Tyler Myers goes, so go the Sabres." Is Myers more important than the group of young centers? More important than what Foligno can be? Even Enroth, if Jonas Enroth can step into the #1 role allowing the Sabres to flip Miller into assets, wouldn't that make Enroth at least as important as Myers?

Obviously you need to have a core of four or five guys but if Myers became the player we all envisioned during his rookie year then I believe this team is a solid playoff contender and the rest of the process accelerates exponentially.

In my opinion the NHL has become all about how good your top 4 or 5 guys are. The bottom 15 to 20 guys are interchangeable.

What other teams are "built around" a single defenseman? And why is his potential "elite" when he was drafted 12th?

I think it's a mistake to keep looking at Myers as some hockey savior...too many people are overvaluing his potential, especially in the face of reality.

What other teams are "built around" a single defenseman? And why is his potential "elite" when he was drafted 12th?

I think it's a mistake to keep looking at Myers as some hockey savior...too many people are overvaluing his potential, especially in the face of reality.

The bruins? I think the point is that every good playoff team has at least one franchise shutdown defenseman. He's a victim of his own success. He came into the league as a two way top pair defenseman, now it's up to him to live up to it.

Lidstrom and Weber, Karlsson and Subban are also not elite, as they were not drafted in the first 10 picks. Only players drafted in the first 10 picks can be good. Teams built around a single defenceman:

Boston

Montreal

Pittsburgh

LA

Minnesota

Phoenix

Nashville

His potential is based on what we've already seen. He came in as a 19 year old and turned the franchise around. We went from missing the playoffs to winning the division. And Liger is right, since then the Sabres' success has been tied directly to how Myers is doing.

He probably had too much success too soon. Now we have to see if he ever figures it all out. But we know his potential. This isn't "Concept of Kassian."

And, yes, the Bruins have done pretty well these past few years building around a defenseman.

His potential is based on what we've already seen. He came in as a 19 year old and turned the franchise around. We went from missing the playoffs to winning the division. And Liger is right, since then the Sabres' success has been tied directly to how Myers is doing.

He probably had too much success too soon. Now we have to see if he ever figures it all out. But we know his potential. This isn't "Concept of Kassian."

And, yes, the Bruins have done pretty well these past few years building around a defenseman.

I think it would be correct to say that it is important to have a main stay defenseman than saying "building around a defenseman", it may just be semantics I think "building around" may mean something different to some.

It is more than possible that Myers has already maxed out his potential and he is the player he will always be. We all wanted the second coming of Chara and might have ended up with the second coming of Mike Wilson. We may at some point look back at Myers career and talk about how his rookie season was his best season in the NHL. He may end up like Jim Carey. OR the switch can turn on and he take the game he showed as a rookie and expand on it.

I think it would be correct to say that it is important to have a main stay defenseman than saying "building around a defenseman", it may just be semantics I think "building around" may mean something different to some.

It is more than possible that Myers has already maxed out his potential and he is the player he will always be. We all wanted the second coming of Chara and might have ended up with the second coming of Mike Wilson. We may at some point look back at Myers career and talk about how his rookie season was his best season in the NHL. He may end up like Jim Carey. OR the switch can turn on and he take the game he showed as a rookie and expand on it.

Of course you are correct, but it is also possible that like many a defenseman before him, it is just taking him a little longer to develop then the new sports model says it should.

That is what is so frustrating about the black and white way some of us look at the Sabres. I have been as frustrated as anyone. I have told Darcy Reiger personally that I do not believe he is building a team that can win. I blame him for a lot of the past errors that were made and I believe absolutely that Mr. Pegula should have cleaned house this year.

All that being said, I still see the possibility that the whole thing could turn around if three players took their game to the bounds of their potential and led the rest of the group to unforseen heights. Will it mean that Darcy is smarter than I think? Don't know but I hope to have that conversation.

Do I expect it to happen? No.

Do I choose to hold on to the possibilty? Yes.

It's what I believe being a fan is about. I respect your right to disagree. Please respect my right to hope.

Of course you are correct, but it is also possible that like many a defenseman before him, it is just taking him a little longer to develop then the new sports model says it should.

That is what is so frustrating about the black and white way some of us look at the Sabres. I have been as frustrated as anyone. I have told Darcy Reiger personally that I do not believe he is building a team that can win. I blame him for a lot of the past errors that were made and I believe absolutely that Mr. Pegula should have cleaned house this year.

All that being said, I still see the possibility that the whole thing could turn around if three players took their game to the bounds of their potential and led the rest of the group to unforseen heights. Will it mean that Darcy is smarter than I think? Don't know but I hope to have that conversation.

It's what I believe being a fan is about. I respect your right to disagree. Please respect my right to hope.

The big concern for Myers isn't as much the slow development as it seems to be the his career trajectory. Since his rookie season he has been on a steady decline. It seems he has been devolving as a player. I am having a tough time coming up with comparable blue-liners that came in on such a high only to hit a lengthy decline and were able to get it back.

The big concern for Myers isn't as much the slow development as it seems to be the his career trajectory. Since his rookie season he has been on a steady decline. It seems he has been devolving as a player. I am having a tough time coming up with comparable blue-liners that came in on such a high only to hit a lengthy decline and were able to get it back.

I'm sure I could come up with better examples but Pronger was rookie of the year , had a horrible second year in Hartford, struggled at first in St Louis and turned it around when Mike Keenan made him play defense first

Good post.

Why? What am I doing?

Accurate shot? Wishful thinking but it was Never true.

Archived